[ Thursday, October 14, 1999 ] Markus Gustavsson wrote:
> I have had two HD's in RAID0 for some time, with 16 in chunk size.
> Yesterday, the second of theese HD's krasched, on the array I had
> several files which was below 16K in filesize, containing all kinds
> of passwords from serveraccounts to bankaccounts and stuff like that.
> I guess that the fact that theese files was smaller then the chunk size,
> means that they still are intact on the first of the HD's (since they
> haven't been split'ed to the second one).
>
> What I would like to know is if there are ANY way to mount the partitions
> on this HD, is it possible to access this disc in any way just so that
> I can access the passwd files located on it? Or should I forget them
> and start over again? :)

Worth further clarification, but (in my understanding) due to the
seperation of the VFS/ext2 and md-device layers, I don't see how there's
any guarantee how individual files were allocated across the drives.
With a 16KB chunk size, there would seem to be a 1 in 32 (for ext2 using
1KB chunks) or 1 in 8 (using 4KB chunks) chance that the first chunk
of the file was actually allocated at the beginning of a chunk on the
still-working drive.

What interaction, if any, exists from the md-device back to the ext2
layer to suggest where to start files at?

In any case, if the passwords are plain strings, you might be able to
do something like "string /dev/hda" and try looking through that... the
e2fsprogs package may have some useful things as well.

James
--
Miscellaneous Engineer --- IBM Netfinity Performance Development