Strange.

I think latest Linux SW-RAID is working pretty good (ever wondered why it is in
the alpha directory ;-) and pretty fast. Great stuff.

In contrary, there are "released" (or at least BETA) versions which are quite
more complicated to install, needing scripts, being unable to have root on raid
(and maybe don't work "better" [well, having no problems with latest stuff, how
should older stuff be "working better" ?]).

These released/beta versions find their way into common distributions like
SuSE - but the much better stuff is kept out, because it's "ALPHA" (since a
year or two ?).

I know at least 5 servers working quite good (no problems yet) with this
"alpha" SW RAID stuff. The german iX magazine also tested this stuff for quite a
while and found no problems with it (this was about a year ago).

One of these servers recently had a disk failure. Removed failed disk, inserted
new disk, partitioning, raidhotadd, automatic resync - works.

I remember stuff in "stable" kernels that was MUCH less tested and MUCH worse
(e.g. SMP hangs, buffer problems / filesystem corruption, etc). So (AFAIK) I
see no problem including the well-working and well-tested SW-RAID stuff.

So why not putting it into 2.2.14 (and 2.3.xx and 2.4.0) kernels ?

Chicken ? (g,d&r >;-)

Thomas

--

Thomas Waldmann (com_ma, Computer nach Masz)
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www:   www.com-ma.de