> raid 0.90 was in the ac patch series for 2.2.11 IIRC.  Several people wrote
> linux-kernel and said the patch broke their old style raid disks.  Problem
> is that the old tools will not work with the new kernel, so it's too major a
> break (requiring user tools to be upgraded) to happen in a "stable" kernel
> tree.

If a buffering problem crashes your file system it is also a major problem
and that happened in stable kernels, AFAIK too - without a word of warning.

So it should be OK if one included that "new" RAID stuff with a word of
warning. I think there were quite some bugfixes since the old raid stuff, so
that prepared "old raid" people should also finally be happy with that (if they
know before).

I'm also thinking about how much people use the old (quite uncomfortable) code
/ utilities and how many use the new stuff !? I newer used the old stuff
because I didn' t want to write init scripts for RAID if I can have a later
version that does it automagically (and works stable, too).

> At this point, the feature freeze for 2.3.x kicked in as well.  Alan Cox
> suggested porting up to 2.3.x (there are some substantial differences), but
> that 2.4 (based on the existing 2.3 feature freeze) would still not include
> raid 0.90... that would have to wait for 2.5/2.6... at least that's what he
> said

It's a pity that a widespread and well-tested feature isn't included due to that
8(

Maybe this is an argument to get it in ? :

It's a difference IMHO if
- you want to include some brand new stuff
or
- if you want to include some quite widespread and well tested stuff that
existed for quite some time as extra patch for the same stable kernel series.

OK, compatibility is an important argument - but installing a new kernel is a
potential compatibility problem anyway, isn't it !?

 > kind of sad.

Yes.

Nobody seeing a chance how to get it into kernel source without another
year (or more ?) of waiting ?

Thomas

--

Thomas Waldmann (com_ma, Computer nach Masz)
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www:   www.com-ma.de