Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> I think latest Linux SW-RAID is working pretty good (ever
> wondered why it is in the alpha directory ;-) and pretty
> fast. Great stuff.

Alpha is a mis-nomer.

> I remember stuff in "stable" kernels that was MUCH less tested
> and MUCH worse (e.g. SMP hangs, buffer problems / filesystem
> corruption, etc). So (AFAIK) I see no problem including the
> well-working and well-tested SW-RAID stuff.
> So why not putting it into 2.2.14 (and 2.3.xx and 2.4.0) kernels ?

Here is the capsule summary:

raid 0.90 was in the ac patch series for 2.2.11 IIRC.  Several people wrote
linux-kernel and said the patch broke their old style raid disks.  Problem
is that the old tools will not work with the new kernel, so it's too major a
break (requiring user tools to be upgraded) to happen in a "stable" kernel
tree.

At this point, the feature freeze for 2.3.x kicked in as well.  Alan Cox
suggested porting up to 2.3.x (there are some substantial differences), but
that 2.4 (based on the existing 2.3 feature freeze) would still not include
raid 0.90... that would have to wait for 2.5/2.6... at least that's what he
said.

So this is the reasoning, but it means we have a very long wait before it's
standard in a stable kernel, which is what most raid people use.

kind of sad.

tom