From: Andy Poling [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 9:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DPT Linux RAID.

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Chris Keladis wrote:
> I have some DPT RAID controllers (PM1554U2's) i will like to configure a RAID
> set for.
>
> I have Mike Neuffer's patches to the 2.2.12 kernel applied, and it see's the
> array and everything works okay.
>
> However i dont have any notification of failures in the array, at the moment.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how i can monitor the array (in the driver code
> possibly?) and raise alarms on a failure?

If you look at the output of the EATA driver in /proc, you will see
something like:

        fs:~# cat /proc/scsi/eata_dma/0
        EATA (Extended Attachment) driver version: 2.59b
        [blah, blah, blah...]
        Alarm     : off

That "Alarm" line will change to say "on" (or at least something besides
"off") when the alarm beeper on the DPT card is sounding.

It's not very sophisticated, and it won't tell you _what_ is wrong, but at
least it lets you know that something is wrong...

-Andy