Installation was a problem and I haven't been able to upgrade.
I will need to compile custom kernels, custom boot/install disks
and all that if I want to risk upgrading the now running system.

> Any information would be appreciated! (I just wasted a lot of
> time working
> out that the I/O performance on the Hewlett packard LH4 is
> unacceptable)

We have a whole new IT department in here since Jan 1st, and
between three of us we have 20 years repair / support experience.
We have all had our fill of Compaq (and other priprietary computers.)
We have another Proliant that we just retired as a novell server.
One of the disks in the Smart 2 array failed and we replaced it
with an identical disk.  We can't configure the array and have just
retired the machine instead of turning into a linux or NT server.
Three of us have 20 years repair experience and

Do yourself a favor and get a generic off the shelf PC with high
quality parts.  You an easily repair and upgrade it.