hiya,

you find me deeply impressed, agitated and really touched by the
TREMENDOUS reaction on my former mail.

first: the raid is back it is running in degraded mode now. but it's
back.

you all have been great:

10 minutes after my post the phone was ringing. a guy said my name is
MARTIN BENE i felt uh.. you know the name. YES martin wrote the mabene
patch for failed disks. he called from austria asking if he could help
me out.
i'm in the office, we have some phonelines here, all of them kept
ringing till some minutes before. i managed to talk to three people
thanx to all the others who must have tried.

i received a bunch of emails. even those who don't know too much about
software raid at least offered me "a shoulder to cry at".

speciall thanx to martin (mabene), thomas waldmann and tom livingston.
tom did not call but posted some "2 disks crash recovery howto" some
time ago. i tell ya it contains very valuable information and is
available from here:

http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-raid/lr_9905_01/msg00030.html

thanx again,
cheers