Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> There is no problem with patching 2.2.11 or 2.2.12 or 2.2.13 with the 0824
> patches - I (and many other people) verified the rejects and there is no real
> problem - the stuff rejected simply already IS in the standard kernel.
>
> This is also the reason why there is no new patch.

I'm a solaris admin today, our server park today is 85% solaris 5% linux
and 10% nt. I would just love to switch over to 100% linux. But frankly,
I don't have the guts.

The missmatch in patch revisions for raidtools is one of the reasons for
that.

Even if the final result was 100% identical it gives me the creep to run
a production box on home patched kernel, where the kernel number is a
mismatch and I get rejects when aplying it.

This is probably just me being conservative and boring. But nevertheless
that is the way I feel.

It would boost my confidence in the raidtools package by a factor of 100
or so if I knew that it was so well maintained that I always could find
a nice new patch for every new kernel.

A clear upgrade path would be of some assistance, but I could figure
that one out myself ;)

I have been "evaluting" the raidtools package for our site a couple of
months now on a smaller server (90 Gb of data, kind of a NAS concept).
And what has been the major problem for us have not been the raidtools,
it's the nfs server that has been behaving somewhat strange at times.

The lack of a journaling fs is also a major show stopper at our site,
once we have a relaible journaling fs that works well together with sw
(and hw) raid , we will begin thinking of a migration path to linux on
our big boxes. But that belongs on another list....

LLAP