Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Matthew Clark wrote:
>
> > > Ummm...  You should have an on-site expert for any OS if it's mission
> > > critical.  And if it's not, you should probably still open a contract
> > > with one in case you need him/her.
> >
> > Yes - my point (made unclearly, I admit) is that finding a Linux Expert is
> > no easy task.  There are no widely recognised certification schemes that I
> > know of.
>
> But how much value do you really put in ANY certification scheme?
>
> I have never seen a certification scheme to inspire confidence. Must
> better to look for a verifiable track record or to devise your own
> suitable tests with which to filter the MSCE's out of the selection
> process.

Actually I tend to *avoid* anyone with an MSCE, simply because they
typically expect way too much in salary, and have little in the way of
systems programming experience and problem solving ... Track record is
*much* more important as is education in a problem solving field
(Physics, Engineering, and occasionally Computer Science depending on
the school...)

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.