On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 05:35:19PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> Could the Raid experts revisit a portion of the discussion about swap
> on raid. I understand that the use/non-use of buffer space during
> reconsturction vs swap creates a problem for swap on raid, however in
> my pea-sized brain it appears that this would be a problem only if a
> full partition were committed to swap use. What happens if the swap
> is done via a file -- does the problem still exist or is the swap
> process forced to use file IO to access the allocated space???
> Will this circumvent the buffer/no-buffer problem?

According to Stephen Tweedie the problem happens in both case,
writes to the swap file do bypass the buffer cache in ANY case.

only way to be safe is:
do not use spare drives
swapoff before raidhotadding
replace swapon with something like
while grep -q "^${1#/dev/} .* resync=" /proc/mdstat;do sleep 1;done && swapon $1
(needs to be smarter than that, to support swapon -a and swap on file)

regards,
Luca
--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]