Luca Berra wrote:

> According to Stephen Tweedie the problem happens in both case,
> writes to the swap file do bypass the buffer cache in ANY case.
>
> only way to be safe is:
> do not use spare drives
> swapoff before raidhotadding
> replace swapon with something like
> while grep -q "^${1#/dev/} .* resync=" /proc/mdstat;do sleep 1;done && swapon $1
> (needs to be smarter than that, to support swapon -a and swap on file)

I was wondering if this procedure (swapping on Raid1 + waiting for the resync),
is safe on an IDE only system ?

I don't need hot-swapping, the only thing I need is that if one disk dies,
swapping will not take down the disk (hangs like in the SCSI case etc).

If this is safe I can easily live with the "wait for resync" issue.

regards,
Benno.