Hi,
I was just thinking about the following :

There will soon be available at least one stable journaled FS for linux
out of the box.
Of course we want to run our soft-RAID5 array with journaling in order
prevent large fsck and speed up the boot process.

My question:

what happens when I run RAID5+ jornaled FS and the box is just writing
data
to the disk and then a power outage occurs ?

Will this lead to a corrupted filesystem or will only the data which was
just written,
be lost ?

I know that a single disk + journaled FS do not lead to a corrupted
disk,

but in the RAID array case ?

The Software-RAID HOWTO says:
"In particular, note that RAID is  designed to protect against *disk*
failures, and not against
*power* failures or *operator* mistakes."

What happens if a new written block was only committed to 1 disk out of
4disks present in an array (RAID5) ?

Will this block be marked as free after the array resync or will it lead
to problems making the
md device corrupted ?

If  the software RAID in linux doesn't already guarantee this, could
this be added with a similar technique
just like a journaled FS does ?

I am thinking about keeping a journal of the committed blocks to disk,
and if a power failure occurs, then
just wipe out these blocks and make them free again.

A journaled FS on top of the raid device will automatically avoid files
being placed in these
"uncommitted  disk blocks".

But since md is a "virtual device" the situation might be more
complicated.

I think quite a few of us are interested this "raid on powerfailure
during diskwrites reliability" topic.

Thank you in advance for your explanations.

regards,
Benno.