----- Original Message -----
From: "Benno Senoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Linux RAID" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Ingo Molnar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: [FAQ-answer] Re: soft RAID5 + journalled FS + power failure
=problems ?

---------------------- much snippage here------------------------

> The problem is that power outages are unpredictable even in presence
> of UPSes therefore it is important to have some protection against
> power losses.
>
> regards,
> Benno.

I run an MGE UPS on my RH6.1 box running RAID 1, they have software for
Linux that communicates with the UPS and performs an orderly system shutdown
if the box goes on battery and stays on battery for a given (user
selectable) length of time. I have tested and verified that this actually
works, it's a Good Thing(tm).
I did have to cut one pin on the standard RS-232 cable that came the UPS for
use on the Linux box, and download the software and install (scripted,
easy...)

bwilling