remo strotkamp wrote:

> Hi raider out there,
>

> We kept getting error messages under 'heavy' load ( RAID resync, e2fsck,
> copying
> a 2GB directory tree..) which looked as follows:
>
> Jan 21 16:42:45 freshkills kernel: hdk: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Jan 21 16:42:45 freshkills kernel: hdk: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>
> Most of the times things just went fine, but sometimes the corresponding
> harddisk
> received a DMA reset:
>
> Jan 19 21:16:39 freshkills kernel: hdk: DMA disabled
> Jan 19 21:16:39 freshkills kernel: ide5: reset: success

I have been having these sorts of problems for a fair while, my opinon (and
thats all it is) is that raid cant handle much more than 40MB/s,
irespective of your setup, i think theres some  other limiting factor

Ive gotten ~35MB/s with 3 udma33 drives, each its own channel, i got no
timeouts.

When i reconfigured it to 4 drives i saw a small performance increase, but
the results were suspect as i could test with large file sizes as i would
get timeouts etc (as your seeing).

Actually now i think about it, just yesterday i got timeout errors under
heavy load just copying between non-raid partitions (copying 3 GB from one
drive to another) , the CPU usage is pretty high as well.

Do you ever get timeouts other than in raid partitions ?

Id be happy is it was my cables (as you suspect your problem is) but im
sceptical.

I guess youve read the warning in the kernel archive about how using hdparm
can cause these sorts of problems.

Im using the HPT366 controller b.t.w.

Im thinking high cpu usage could be the problem, mine is a k6-2 266, had
128 MB ram when doing raid tests, but only 64 yesterday when i got timeouts
xfering between partitions.

There should be hardly any cpu usage for the controllers as they use DMA..
i guess your case of raid5 has high cpu overheads.... I cant explain my
situation

Wish i had a solution for you, let me know if you find one.

Thanks

Glenn McGrath

P.S. Im sure you realise that if ou got timeout errors when running bonnie
then your results dont mean anything.