On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 02:16:58PM +0000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> I have been having these sorts of problems for a fair while, my opinon (and
> thats all it is) is that raid cant handle much more than 40MB/s,
> irespective of your setup, i think theres some  other limiting factor

I've seen >60MB/s for arrays of 8 ATA drives in raid0, >50MB/s for raid5.
Also, >90MB/s for arrays of 8 SCSI drives in raid0, >70MB/s for raid5.
That's for bonnie-type benchmarks.  Anyway, if there is an inherent
problem with high loads, it is probably a hardware problem (cables,
mainboard, chipset, firmware, etc.) rather than a problem with the
raid layer per se.

Jan Edler
NEC Research Institute