Thomas Waldmann wrote:

> > > Well, although all of reiser/ext3-fs and raid are very fine stuff, I would
> > > definitely vote for SW-RAID to be preferred (if they can´t be included
> > > alltogether due to incompatibilities)
>
> !
>
> > Thankfully, they can and will be living happily together,
>
> This would be, of course, the best. I personally also would have no problem
> if they were both included although they have incompatibilites - this just
> has to be documented and maybe there has to be some
>
> #if defined (SWRAID) && (defined(REISERFS) || defined(EXT3FS))
> #error Cannot have both SW RAID and ReiserFS/Ext3FS - disable one of them!
> #endif

This is definately NOT a good solution.  A journaling FS and ext2 can be
used simultaneously, no?  This means that I could theoretically use both
ext2, ext3, and software RAID at the same time, if I had all of the
patches applied.  I would rather have one of them stay as a patch, and
not have some kludge of an if statement from doing something that I know
is perfectly safe.

> > For a good break-down of what we should expect, we can look at WinNT
> > (like it or not :) which has s/w raid
>
> If I´m informed right, it just has mirroring and striping, not RAID5.

RAID 5 is there, it just sucks.  As do RAID-0 and RAID-1 on NT (I speak
from expierence).

> > *and* a journalling fs (NTFS).
>
> NTFS is what ??? Journalling ???

Yes, it is.  Although maybe they use a different name for it.  It does
keep a transaction log, and tends to be a reasonably robust filesystem
(compared to ext2 and FAT).

> > I'd dare say it's painfully obvious that NTFS gets much more use than
> > their s/w raid capabilities.
>
> Maybe their mirroring/striping stuff is painfully, too (didn´t try it with NT
> - who wants an NT server anyway ???).

NTFS gets more use than software RAID because it offers SOOO much more
than FAT.  Permissions are probably as big, or bigger than the fact that
NTFS is jounaling.  NTs software RAID is unuseable because it doesn't
work, and because it was created at a time when NT machines didn't have
the kind of raw processing power to keep up with it very well.
        Greg