Hi all,

    I'm trying to do 2 things with SCSI/RAID both of which are having
problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My system is 2.2.14 with
the 5.1.22 Adaptec AIC-7xxx drivers.

    First, I'm trying to get 4 SCSI drives working. Forget RAID, forget
anything complex, I just want them working. I actually had 5 until yesterday
when one decided to start making loud noises which I intrepreted as death
throws. Anyway, the problem is that after I start up my 4 drives, at some
point, I get this:

Feb  1 02:48:01 dual kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
10920, scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (6) 00 06 df 60 00
Feb  1 02:48:03 dual kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
10921, scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Read (6) 00 07 c7 08 00
Feb  1 02:48:03 dual kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
10922, scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Read (6) 00 07 d7 48 00
Feb  1 02:48:31 dual kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
10919, scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (6) 00 06 bf 18 00
Feb  1 02:48:31 dual kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
10920, scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (6) 00 06 df 60 00

    These messages went on for about 5 hours before I finally rebooted the
machine (nothing else worked). Note that my file system stuff is IDE right
now. Nothing is on the 4 SCSI disks yet. Given this, I question why my whole
system became inopperative just because SCSI was down. Note that I could
still do things that didn't use disk access. It was only when I tried to
access the disk (IDE or SCSI) that things froze up.
    So, can anyone hypothesize why the above happened and what I can do to
fix it? Before it happened I did a few simple tests on the drives, like:

    cat /dev/zero > /mnt/t1/test

This worked fine and created files of about 250MB before I broke the cat
with CTRL-C.

    The second problems, possible related to the first is this. I did try a
few experiments with SCSI. I have significantly different sized drives and
was hoping to maximize their usage by using a RAID-0 md device (md0) as part
of a RAID-5 array. When I tried the mkraid on this the command started but
immediately froze up the SCSI system. Should this work? Is there any other
way to achieve disk maximization along with redundancy?

    On a different note. I had a success with SCSI/Linux last night as well.
When I got home one drive was making noises as mentioned above. I un-mounted
as SCSI drives. Removed all SCSI related modules. Turned off the unhappy
drive (in an external disk case). Removed it. Plugged all the other SCSI
stuff back together. Turned it back on. Recompiled the AIC driver with
5.1.22. Reloaded the SCSI modules. And everything came back up, probed the
buses, and worked. All of this without turning off my machine. Lovely! Now
if I can just make it stable.

Thanks,

--Rainer