Try turning off SYNC mode on ALL your drives in the SCSI BIOS.  I had a
similar problem this last weekend with 2.2.14 and 5.1.21 AIC-7xxx and async
mode fixed it.  I had been previously running SYNC mode with no problems,
but I added two new drives and couldn't get the mkraid to finish without
hitting the same errors you're seeing.  All my drives are now running async
and are happy.  Slow, but happy.  Previously (on 2.2.14 and prior) they were
running happy in sync mode but I was upgrading this weekend and had to do a
mkraid again (which really bangs the SCSI bus during resync).  I tried
several times with different sync/async combos with no joy.  I thought this
was just my config on the one machine but, this morning I had a problem on
another box which is a 3x50G 2940U2W setup.  I accidentally left it NFS
mounted and during the attempted backup it also hit some SCSI timeouts -- it
recovered though.  This box has been flawless for a long time (I think it
must've been the network I/O causing this -- no proof yet -- just
suspicion).

Jan 28 08:47:57 medusa kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
248989, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Write (6) 19 f3 b4
 80 00
Jan 28 08:47:57 medusa kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
248991, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Write (6) 19 f3 b4
 80 00
Jan 28 08:47:57 medusa kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
248992, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Write (6) 19 f4 34
04 00

Michael D. Black   Principal Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  321-676-2923,x203
http://www.csihq.com  Computer Science Innovations