Juri Haberland writes:
 > System Administration wrote:
 > >
 > > A clarification and a correction: 1) I'm using raidtools-0.90
 > > (19990824) and 2) RAID0 was started with older mdtools and *not*
 > > mkraid.
 > >
 > > System Administration writes:
 > >  > I'm almost certain this a FAQ (or soon will be) but I can't find the
 > >  > answer.  SuSE V6.4 seems to have a problem with RAID1; mkraid fails
 > >  > with "invalid raid superblock magic (3ff9fe) on block 2096320".  The
 > >  > value of the magic and block number vary with the partition size, of
[...]
 > AFAIK the SuSE kernel has not the RAID-0.90 patches included.
 > So you have two possibilities:
 > 1) use the old raid tools which came with your distribution or
 > 2) patch the kernel with the new RAID patches which you can get at
 > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/

Whoops!  You're saying that SuSE's 2.2.14 *kernel* still needs
patching (as opposed to just having raidtools-0.90 in the system)?  Of
course I enabled LVM and MD options along with linear, raid0, and
raid1 personalities when I built the kernel used for testing.  But
you're saying the "out of the box" SuSE kernel isn't enough to run
raid1?

Rick