On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Piete Brooks wrote:

> > What I wanna do is add a spare disk/partition to an existing raid1 array.
>
> Do you want to keep the N-way mirror with N copies, but add a spare so
> that when one of the N fails, it will start re-constructing immediately,
> or do you want to change it to an N+1 array ?
> [ Note that the former will be less resilient, as you can still be caught
>   by multiple failures, and that the latter costs more in disk IO when
>   writing
> ]
>
> If the former, just `raidhotadd'.

That is the one I was thinking of using.  Will it automatically recognize
it as a spare disk?  Do I need to worry about persistent-superblock or is
that a default with raidhotadd?  I can't find man pages for raidhotadd.

Thanks for the info below, it'll definately be useful for understanding
new ways of creating arrays.

Tamas.