[Luca Berra]
> from the info page from gnu tar 1.13.17:
>
> `--bzip2'
> `-I'
>      This option tells `tar' to read or write archives through `bzip2'.

As mentioned previously, this is a distro-specific hack.  I have it in
my tar as well, but trusting it to be part of core GNU tar just because
it works on your system is silly.

version 1.13 is the latest at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/tar/
and specifically mentions the bzip2 situation in its NEWS file:

+++
* An interim GNU tar alpha had new --bzip2 and --ending-file options,
  but they have been removed to maintain compatibility with paxutils.
  Please try --use=bzip2 instead of --bzip2.
+++

Checking the ChangeLog shows bzip2 support added 1999-02-01 (in the form
of -y, --bzip2, and --bunzip2) and then removed 1999-06-16

In any case, it certainly is true that we can trust -z to be
around on any standard Linux install, and as such it is the
correct answer to this thread.
--
James Manning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4