Sean Hefty wrote:
Unmapped multicast groups only support the case where the SA has created the
group with the MGID undefined.  The MGID must be in this format: 0xff1 scope
0xA01B (see figure 196 on page 928 of the spec).  The kernel checks for this
specific address format to see if it needs to convert the address or not [...]
wanted the ability to create a group a get back a unique group ID
I am still not sure to follow you. My basic thought was that unmapped multicast addresses are MGIDs specified by the application such that rdma-cm doesn't treat them as IPv6 multicast address and no mapping is applied on them. From the spec location you have pointed me I understand that the intention is for a request to the SA to generate a unique MGID:

1. "if SA receives a request to create a multicast group with the MGID undefined"
2.  "the MGID that it creates shall be of the following format"

so there are two parts here, 1st request the SA to create a new group, assign it an MGID (what about joining this node/port to the group), 2nd, getting back the MGID created by the SA. Looking on the rdma-cm kernel code, I don't see where/how it specifies to the SA that the MGID is undefined? shouldn't it not set the MGID bit in the component mask in this case? next, I don't see where the MGID created by the SA is given back to the application. I guess still miss something here, can you clarify, thanks

Or.