>I am still not sure to follow you. My basic thought was that unmapped
>multicast addresses are MGIDs specified by the application such that
>rdma-cm doesn't treat them as IPv6 multicast address and no mapping is
>applied on them.

This is basically correct, but the MGIDs must be of the format 0xFF1-scope-A01B.
The kernel keys off this in the address to determine if the mapping should be
made.

>1. "if SA receives a request to create a multicast group with the MGID
>undefined"
>2.  "the MGID that it creates shall be of the following format"
>
>so there are two parts here, 1st request the SA to create a new group,
>assign it an MGID (what about joining this node/port to the group), 2nd,
>getting back the MGID created by the SA. Looking on the rdma-cm kernel
>code, I don't see where/how it specifies to the SA  that the MGID is
>undefined? shouldn't it not set the MGID bit in the component mask in
>this case? next, I don't see where the MGID created by the SA is given

>From 15.2.5.17.2:

"MGID undefined" means either the MGID bit in the component mask is not set, or
if the MGID bit in the component mask is set, the MGID component of
MCMemberRecord:MGID is 0.

If the join request is for an address of 0, then the MGID will be 0 in the SA
join request.  The SA will assign an MGID starting with 0xFF1-scope-A01B.  When
the join request completes, the MCMemberRecord information is given to the user
as part of the multicast join event in the form of address handle attributes.
(See cma_ib_mc_handler.)

What's missing is Jason's patch to fix the IPv6 mapping, and a way to extend the
rdma_cm to support the full range of unmapped addresses.  I just haven't been
able to get to either of these yet.

- Sean