On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

Is the same true for openmpi? If you try to run it as is on a RDMAOE
interface will it work? If not I think that alone should kill this
idea..

OMPI uses RDMACM (among others), so I'm not sure I follow what you're asking me...?

The checks that I was referring to was when OMPI is checking reachability (before it makes QPs). If the peer proc is on the same server, if it's real IB, OMPI concludes "yes, this works". If the peer proc is on the same server and it's IBoE, OMPI concludes "no, this won't work."

But I'm not actually sure that's a 100% standards compliant test. We have a long-standing bug ticket open to change this test to actually try to open a QP to the same host and see if it works rather than relying on the transport_type. However, all [real] IB devices that we run with seem to obey this semantic. So there's at least historical precedent...? (that might be a weak argument)

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com