On 02/29/2012 02:22 PM, Ira Weiny wrote:
> Doug,
>
> First thanks for this.  Some comments below.
>
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:01:16 -0500
> Doug Ledford <dledf...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> There are two things that stand in the way of opensm being run on
>> redundant fabrics easily:
>>
>> 1) The opensm init script only starts one instance of opensm and opensm
>> will only work on one fabric per instance
>> 2) Even if you start multiple instances, you have to hand modify config
>> files for each instance and then when you upgrade the opensm rpm you
>> either loose your modifications or loose getting new default settings
>>
>> I worked around both of these issues, I've attached the files I used to
>> do so.
>>
>> First, I have an opensm init script that allows starting multiple opensm
>> instances.  It supports configuring this in one of two ways:
>>
>> 1) Create multiple opensm.conf files, each with a numbered suffix (so
>> opensm.conf.1, opensm.conf.2, etc.) and it will start one opensm
>> instance per config file.  This allows an admin to copy the default
>> config over and edit the things they need, and on rpm upgrade there will
>> be a new default opensm.conf file so they can diff between their edited
>> version and the new default and see if there are changes they need to
>> bring back in.  This also allows for complete flexibility in setting up
>> the different fabrics, for instance you could use one type of routing on
>> one and a totally different type on the others.
>>
>> 2) Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/opensm and define more than one GUID in
>> the GUIDs variable.  This will cause the opensm init script to
>> automatically start one instance per GUID, passing the GUID in on the
>> command line.
>
> I know you are going for ease of use here, which is good, however, I worry
> about this file becoming a redefinition of opensm.conf.

Hehehe, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that.  You have
looked at opensm.conf in recent times I take it?  Replacing that with
command line options in a shell startup script isn't reasonable.

However, if you are going to run a redundant fabric setup, then the two
things you *know* you will have to set are the guid and subnet_prefix
(assuming you want to use openmpi).  If you are going to run
master/slave setup, then the one thing you *know* you will have to set
is the priority.  Supporting setting those items in an init script is
reasonable.  Beyond that, I would agree, you should just edit the config
files.

--
Doug Ledford <dledf...@redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD