On Sep 5, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Ezra Kissel wrote:

> On 9/5/2012 3:48 PM, Atchley, Scott wrote:

>>> Oh yes they can under restricted circumstances. Large packets, multiple
>>> cores etc. With the band-aids….
>>
>> With Myricom 10G NICs, for example, you just need one core and it can do
>> line rate with 1500 byte MTU. Do you count the stateless offloads as
>> band-aids? Or something else?
>>
>> I have not tested any 40G NICs yet, but I imagine that one core will not be
>> enough.
>>
> Since you are using netperf, you might also considering experimenting
> with the TCP_SENDFILE test.  Using sendfile/splice calls can have a
> significant impact for sockets-based apps.
>
> Using 40G NICs (Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN), I've seen our applications hit
> 22Gb/s single core/stream while fully CPU bound.  With sendfile/splice,
> there is no issue saturating a 40G link with about 40-50% core
> utilization.  That being said, binding to the right core/node, message
> size and memory alignment, interrupt handling, and proper host/NIC
> tuning all have an impact on the performance.  The state of
> high-performance networking is certainly not plug-and-play.

Thanks for the tip. The app we want to test does not use sendfile() or splice().

I do bind to the "best" core (determined by testing all combinations on client
and server).

I have heard others within DOE reach ~16 Gb/s on a 40G Mellanox NIC. I'm glad
to hear that you got to 22 Gb/s for a single stream. That is more reassuring.

Scott--