On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jguntho...@obsidianresearch.com>
wrote:

>> It does seem quite odd, abstractly speaking, that a registration
>> would survive a free/re-malloc (which is arguably a "different"
>> buffer).
>
> Not at all: the purpose of the registration is to allow access via
> RDMA to a portion of the process's address space. The address space
> doesn't change, but what it is mapped to can vary.

I still think it's really weird.  When I do this:

a = malloc(N);
ibv_reg_mr(..., a, N, ...);
free(a);
b = malloc(M);

If b just happens to be partially or wholly registered by some quirk of the
malloc() system (i.e., some/all of the virtual address space in b happens to
have been covered by a prior malloc/ibv_reg_mr)... that's just weird.

>> If ibv_reg_mr(...,
>> 0, 2^64, ...) was supported, that would obviate the entire need for
>> registration caches.  That would be wonderful.
>
> Yes, except that this shifts around where the registration overhead
> ends up. Basically the HCA driver now has the registration cache you
> had in MPI, and all the same overheads still exist.

There's fewer verbs drivers than applications, right?

> Haggai: A verb to resize a registration would probably be a helpful
> step. MPI could maintain one registration that covers the sbrk
> region and one registration that covers the heap, much easier than
> searching tables and things.

If we still have to register buffers piecemeal, a non-blocking registration
verb would be quite helpful.

> Also bear in mind that all RDMA access protections will be disabled if
> you register the entire process VM, the remote(s) can scribble/read
> everything..

No problem for MPI/HPC...  :-)

--
Jeff Squyres