On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 6:08 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm trying to configure a redundant IPoIB network.
> Obviously, IB switches doesn't talk IP and so doesn't have STP support.
>
> How can I interconnect two different switches with multiple cables and
> avoid loops?
>
> For example:
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=w8ySRibG
>
> To have a fully redundant network, I have to interconnect switch1 and
> switch2 at least with 2 cables and enable STP to avoit loops
>
> Is OpenSM smart enough to detect a multiple link and shutdown one port
> automatically (doing the same as STP) ?

Infiniband uses a switched fabric topology, so regular Ethernet STP
topology rules do not apply. In this scenario here each link, direct
or via the interconnects to the other switch, would just be an
alternate path to the target. If I recall correctly, running OpenSM
only binds to one port, so this is why you'd technically want those
links between the switches to have a single fabric. Of course, losing
the link to that port also means you will have no subnet manager, so
you might want to consider having it running on one more host as
well..

-Gennadiy