On 9/23/2015 9:41 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:23:15AM -0700, Chuck Lever wrote:
Getting rid of ib_query_device() makes sense. Moving the device
attributes into ib_device is nice. Getting rid of ib_device_attr
is of questionable value. Why do we need to go there?

IB core API changes generate merge conflicts with feature work
in the ULPs. It’s a pain for maintainers. In this particular
case, keeping ib_device_attr would greatly reduce ULP churn.
But it will keep a totally nonsenical structure around in the future.

Note that the whole in-kernel Verbs API is a bit of a nightmare, so
there will be all kinds of larger changes.  Better get it right as long
as we have as few ULPs as we have now.

Christoph,

We had a smaller volume move to cache the device attributes on the IB device structure, and I just realized it was dropped on the floor. Ira, that was a reviewer comment you got when worked on OPA and I missed the fact it didn't reach to acceptance http://marc.info/?t=142309310600006&r=1&w=2
I vote for 1st and most doing this and taking things from there.

Or.