Craig,

remember that Linux is a multitasking kernel with no (generic) real time
capabilities. Your process frequently gets interrupted for an unspecified
amount of time. If a (serial) IRQ occurs then, the signal has to be memorized
and your process gets aware of it when scheduled the next time. No real
difference to polling, I think. If you want a single interrupt driven
process, have a look at RTLinux or any other real time Linux.

Hth,

    Michael

P.S. Hope this is correct. I'm not a kernel guru.

-