Linux-Setup Digest #18, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 10:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Color telnet and other confusions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  After I shut down incorrectly X doesn't start ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gateway/Proxy server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ppp setup ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  phpMyAdmin error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cable TV Montgomery Expressnet problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  plink in SuSE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Remote X login to linux server ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux install #38....Still blinky video ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Lilo & memory ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cant create a partition with disk druid?? (newbie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  does linux work with windows 98 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Lost LILO after installed new window. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  serial mouse with laptop? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  HELP!!!!! I'm at my wits end! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Postscript printing using serial port ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  What is this message???????? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux install #38....Still blinky video ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ok, i'm fucking pissed. dual boot winnt and linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SuSE 6.4 freezing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  samba troubles ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem on Installation of ALSA Driver 0.5.8 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Color telnet and other confusions
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Draco Ravenloft wrote:

> I;ve been using linux for awhile now, and have figured out most
 every
> little funky quirk and bug, at least as far as RH and Mandrake are
> concerned.... save 2.
>
> The one that annoys me the most is that when I remotely telnet to
 my
> system it doesn't broadcast color ANSI.. it does a bit more of a
 raw,
> b/w text thing.  Is there no way to change this?  I'd like to
 telnet
> into my machine and see both color, and things like midnight
 commander
> and all that.

First you need a terminal program that is *capable* of ANSI color.
(most are *not*)

> The other confusion is that, I've heard Winderz32 can actually
 manage to
> somehow run an Xwindows session remotely through telnet or
 something.
> Some people have said they doing simply by putting in the
 config.sys
> DISPLAY=24 others say it involves various x commands......  I guess
> just need to know 1) is it possible.  2) how is it accomplished
 with
> Mandrake 7.0?

In order to do this you need to have an X server running on the
windows box.  Hummingbird's Exceed is one such application (and also
comes with the aforementioned color capable term.)  There are others,
but Exceed is the one that I used. . .
--
Sanjay
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: After I shut down incorrectly X doesn't start
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: "Mingyi Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks a lot. Before I saw your mesg, I already started X
 successfully (by
first use Xconfigurator to stop X from starting automatically, then
 log in
after reboot and use startx to load X). However, it still has one
 annoying
glitch---I can never let X start automatically (it will hang there
 without
letting me log in), I can only log in through console and start X
 later.
Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then which one
 could
it be? Also, after I logged in, I found my desktop has more icons
 than I
remembered I had. A window manager change? I'll check it out later
 (I'm on
my win98 now).

Thanks again,

Mingyi

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Gateway/Proxy server
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sciamachy wrote:

> Now, for the next step, what I want to do is this: Say my
> wife is sat at her machine, doing her thing, and she wants
> to get on the internet. At the moment, all she can do (she
> doesn't have her own modem) is, assuming I'm already dialled
> in from my Linux box, telnet into her account on my machine,
> and fire up lynx, pine, BitchX or whatever. What I want is
> for her to be able to click on Internet Explorer in Win95,
> and it fire up in such a way that it'll try to route all its
> requests for web pages, ftp, etc, through my Linux box. When
> it does that, I need it to check to see if it has ppp up,
> and if so use it, and if not, dial my ISP - all without her
> having to telnet in or anything. Also, I want to be able to
> share files between the two computers and OSs.

All of this can be done, easily (relitivly)

> Now, I realise that's a fairly tall order, but I'm patient,
> and have been at this internet thing a few years so I know
> at least the basic theory. What programs/daemons etc would
> be involved in the above, on my Linux box? What HOWTOs
> should I read? Are there any really good books that cover
> what I want to do?

It is not really that tall of an order at all.  Many of us are doing
that now.  Look into IP Masquerade (to allow your wife's computer to
use *your* IP address), diald or PPP (demand dialing) (to allow your
computer to automaticaly dial your ISP when there is a request for
"outside information") and samba (to allow easy file/printer sharing
with your wife's computer)

These are places to start (that *is* what you asked for.  . .) and I
_believe_ there is a howto for each.  Check http://www.linuxdoc.org
for more info.
Good luck!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ppp setup
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Holtzman)

X-No Archive-yes

After setting up ppp with linuxconf it worked well with Gnome's
 usernet
applet. Next I decided to set it up so I could use it from the
 command
line. I configured /etc/chat and ppp-on but when I tried to connect
 it
failed with the following log message:

Jun 26 15:57:22 localhost pppd[651]: pppd 2.3.11 started by bholtzm,
 uid 500
Jun 26 15:57:22 localhost pppd[651]: Failed to open /dev/modem:
 Permission denied
Jun 26 15:57:22 localhost pppd[651]: Exit.

What I don't understand is why it opens /dev/modem, which is of
 course
just a link to ttyS1, using usernet but not ppp-on? Both ppp-on and
 chat
are user executable and ttyS1 is the same for usernet and ppp-on.

I'm missing something. Anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance

--

Bob Holtzman
 ...check the price of the beer!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: phpMyAdmin error
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carsten Huettl)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:38:06 +0800, "badduck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>You may need to activate mysql support for your php3 installation.
>php3 comes with many many useful interface, by default, not all of
 them are
>activated.

Postgresql support is enabled/activated as my phpinfo shows.
C.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cable TV Montgomery Expressnet problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I live in Montgomery County and have been unsuccessful in getting
 it to
> work.  I got one hint from the LDP
> (http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html)
 but,
> that didn?t work.  I followed all the instructions about PAP,
 adding
> routes (except when I execute route add -net 10.0.0.0 I get a
 SICOATTR
> error), etc.  I have logged all I can and the most I can figure is
 that
> after my username and password is entered (and pppd reports and
 serial
> connection established) Ex-pressnet comes with ?Backup
 Authentication?
> at which point pppd reports ?alarm? and sends two ?^M? and a modem
 hang
> up occurs.  I know this has to do with PAP however, I don?t know
 how Ex-
> pressnet expects the PAP stuff or if a second Authentication is
> occurring because after ?Backup authentication?  Ex-pressnet gives
 that
> gibberish (~&^$%&) that you get just before making a proper PPP
> connection, except it just hangs up. Please, is there any help you
 can
> offer me?
> I am running RedHat 6.1 on a Pentium 100mhz with a Tulip based
 Ethernet
> card, and a ZOOM ISA PNP modem (fully functional on non cable modem
 PPP
> connections).  Hey I just want my cable modem up so I can use my
 linux
> box as a firewall like I did when I used Earthlink.  Having a win98
> machine be my front gate just makes me uncomfortable.
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Well, here are a few starting places:
why are you using pppd?  Does your cable-modem-ISP require it?  Or do
they use DHCP (or a static IP)?  If they require (for whatever
 reason)
a ppp connection, you need to get PPPoE (the one I use is from Raging
Penguin) and configure that.  Your connection to your cable-modem-ISP
is through your *ethernet* card, not through your modem.  That is how
they get the extra speed. I have not heard of cable-modem-ISPs using
PPPoE, however, so your most likely path is DHCP or static IP.
Contact your cable-modem-ISP to see if IP addresses are dynamic
 (DHCP)
or static.  Then mail me and I will help you set it up.  If you need
dynamic IP, you need to get dhcpcd from the install CD.  I can help
you with this as well. . ..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: plink in SuSE
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: Chris Hegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

==============0B7686173F6F45CC120A0323

Trying to make jpilot work in SuSE, I have installed the 'plink'
package, which is extravagantly described as a really cool package to
synchronise with your Palm pilot. Well, it isn't.
However I do prefer SuSE over Red Hat, although on RH making
 pilot-link
work is a no-brainer.
When I try to sync my palm device via jpilot, I get an error message:

pi_bind Input/output error
Check your serial port and settings.
I have searched the files in the plink package but cannot find any
reference to pi-bind.
I have placed a symlink in /dev linking /dev/pilot to /dev/ttys0.
No dice.
Any suggestions?
==============0B7686173F6F45CC120A0323

begin:vcard
n:Hegan;Chris
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.asterisk.co.nz
org:Asterisk Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:General Manager
note:Linux for Business
adr;quoted-printable:;;PO Box
 78-247=0D=0APonsonby=0D=0AAuckland=0D=0ANEW ZEALAND;;;;
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Chris Hegan
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Remote X login to linux server ???
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: "X-Static" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Try Xmanager32 from tucows...  It's pretty damn easy to setup...
 Install it,
start it, do a rlogin to ya linux box.open xterm type whatever you
 type to
start your X window manager...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux install #38....Still blinky video
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tony Vining wrote:

> I have a Blinking login screen.  Linux loads video device KLM or
 KEM or
> something....THen the screen starts blinking.
>
> How can I load Linux without loading the video device driver, since
 that is
> the LAST thing to load.  I can troubleshoot from there....
>
> TONY

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, but if it's a
problem with X (I think it's KDM) (crash/respawn) try entering "linux
 3"
at the lilo prompt if it's a RH system, I don't know for other
 distro's,
they might have the initnr's different, strange that there's no
 standard
for this.
I believe "linux single" is generic, so you can also try that.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Lilo & memory
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: "Ozetechnology" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

And then run lilo to refresh, or the new lines ignored. I found this
 the
hard way :-)

David

Site: www.ozetechnology.com
+++ New Images in the Gallery +++

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cant create a partition with disk druid?? (newbie
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Trent,

I'm making a guess here, and I'm not sure if it's the cause of you're
problems, but is the 5G drive connected as /dev/hdc?. IIRC
 (some/all?)
bios'es cannot boot from anything but hda and hdb, so it might be so
that diskdruid
-in order to prevent you from making an unbootable system- doesn't
 allow
you to create a /boot on /dev/hdc. Connect the HDD as /dev/hdb and
 see
if that resolves the problem.

In case you don't know this yet:

primary IDE controller  : master = /dev/hda
                          slave  = /dev/hdb
secondary IDE controller: master = /dev/hdc
                          slave  = /dev/hdd

Eric

Trent Cook wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I figured the best way to get out of my linux mess, was a complete
 fresh
> install.  Guess not, cause here is my problem:
>
> I have 2 hard drives:  one 13gig cut up for windows and one 5gig
 cut up for
> linux.
>
> The problem is that I can only create a swap partion on my 5 gig
 drive.  I
> have deleted all partitions in fdisk, disk druid, linux fdisk,
 delpart etc
> etc and every time I come to disk druid in the setup.  It says that
 I have
> 100% free space on  my 5 gig drive, but when I try to create a
 /boot or a /
> root drive it says there isnt enough space.
>
> Oddly enough I can create swap files (as many , or as big as I want
 with the
> 5 gig drive?)
>
> Why cant I make any other drives?  I tried creating them with fdisk
 and
> converting to linux but no go.
>
> I did an Fdisk /mbr as well (just cause i ran out of things to try)
 but

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: does linux work with windows 98
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:18:49 +0100,
              Sciamachy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>greg smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> i would like to no how i can make windows 98 work with
>linux, linux is the
>> server and and windows 98 are the workstations.
>
>I think what you need to look at is Samba, if it's file and
>print services you're wanting to share. I'm doing something
>similar with my peer-to-peer network. Win98 needs a registry
>hack though to work properly with Samba - something to do
>with SMB encryption or suchlike?

Just enable 'encrypt passwords' in /etc/smb.conf, and you can forget
about that registry hack.  Then create a password for each user using
the command 'smbpasswd -a <user>'.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Lost LILO after installed new window.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:12:42 -0700,
                     C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:

>> Install lilo on the first lilo partition.  Then it is a simple
 matter
>> to make this linux partition active using DOS fdisk to get lilo
 back.

>> Villy
>Actually, he *seems* to have lilo already set up. so he just needs
>run
>/sbin/lilo and all _should_ be well. . . .

Of course, but to install lilo into the linux partition is something
you do *before* you attempt to install windows.  After the damage is
done and you can't boot linux it becomes a tricky thing to run
/sbin/lilo.  Then you will need the linux boot floppy, boot from the
install CD, or something similar to recover, and you would need to
have these things available.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: serial mouse with laptop?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Antonino Sabetta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Peter Bismuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alex, I'm trying to figure out how to use both an
> external mouse and keyboard with my laptop even though
> I only have one ps2 slot.  I tried using a serial
> mouse but that didn't work, do you know why?

Did you confugure it correctly?
I've used a ps2 keyb and a serial mouse for a while...

--
Antonino Sabetta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HELP!!!!! I'm at my wits end!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:14 GMT

From: "Ozetechnology" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

How did you install the update? Binary or Source tarball?

>From the source tarball you will get this unless you specifiy the
following with the configure

./configure --prefix=/usr

Then all works without problems. This one drove me beyond my wits
 end.

BTW I use redhat 6.2, and had to apply the update for a spruce
 update, had
zero problems since the update.

Hope this helps.

David

Site: www.ozetechnology.com
+++ New Images in the Gallery +++

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ron Griffin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have just installed the glib 1.2.8 on my machine.  The GTK++ that
 I am
> trying to install next gives me the following....
>
> 'glib-config --version' returned 1.2.8 but GLIB (1.2.5)
> was found!  If glib-config was correct, then it is best  to remove
 the
> old version of GLIB.  You may also be able to fix the error by
 modifying
> your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable GLIB-CONFIG to point to
 the
> correct copy of glib-config, and remove the file config.cache
 before
> re-running configure.
>
> Now,  I did everything to track down and remove an old version
 (couldn't
> find any) so I deleted /usr/local/lib/glib and re-installed the
 library.
>  deleted the config.cache file from the GTK++ library and keep
 getting
> the same thing!  I have no clue what to do to modify the
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Postscript printing using serial port
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Koenraad Van Nieuwenhove
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello,

I have troubles printing on a Apple Personal Laserwriter NT
 (postscript
level 1) under SuSE 6.4 using the serial port (ttyS0)

I got it working up to the point that it prints the first page of a
document (most of the time I'm using emacs). But I don't succeed to
print more than one page. After the first page the led blinks for
 about
one minute (lpc says that the queues are empty) and then just stops
blinking, so the remaining pages never got printed. Printing very
 simple
postscriptcode or more difficult postscriptcode (different type of
 fonts
and graphics) works, but only for one page... (fyi, when I go back to
Windows 98 I can print multiple pages).

I tried with long and short documents with always the same results.
 Only
the first page is printed, the others never come out.
I tried Xon/Xoff and hardware flow control (both supported by the
LaserWriter).
I tried to change a lot of the parameters in printcap (especially
 :ty:
parameters).
I tried to change the timeout settings using setserial without
 success.

My system is a Pentium III/667 MHz, 128MByte RAM, 20 GByte harddisk.
The serial ports are at the standard addresses/IRQs and have a build
 in
FiFo (16550 type of UART)

Is there a tried and ready printcap(?) to get my printer printing all
the pages?

Thanks,

Koenraad Van Nieuwenhove

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: What is this message????????
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:38:39 GMT,
              andrewkennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi People,
>
>                I am running RH 6.1 as a gateway machine from a 56k
>connection & ,,am getting there SLOWLY. The logging below doesnt
 seem to be
>causing any serious problems,at least that i can see.
>Its just that it shows up all the time & would love to know what it
 means &
>secondly how to fix it.
>
>I have looked on friends machines & they dont have these entries..
>

>Jun 18 06:58:13 Echelon inetd[487]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already
 in use
>Jun 18 07:08:13 Echelon inetd[487]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already
 in use
>Jun 18 07:18:13 Echelon inetd[487]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already
 in use
>Jun 18 07:28:13 Echelon inetd[487]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already
 in use
>Jun 18 07:38:13 Echelon inetd[487]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already
 in use

You enabled identd as a deamon.  When you do that you should comment
 out
the identd entry in /etc/inetd.conf.  You can also run
'chkconfig --del identd' and the message won't occur next time you
 boot.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Try changing the default runlevel to 3. On my RedHat distro this
 is in /etc/inittab on the line that says id:3:initdefault:. You
 might
also try booting to linux single, I'm not sure if this will dump you
 to a
command prompt or not.  I always choose to start X manually. I don't
 like
the idea of booting directly into X. mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ok, i'm fucking pissed. dual boot winnt and linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*sigh*
Ok I was able to mount my linux partition, but in the process I
 managed to
somehow hose up a logical drive in an extended partition right after
 my
linux root partition.
In other words, in NT Disk Administrator from front
to back I have a 4GB C: primary partition, a 128MB linux swap, a 3GB
 linux
root, and a 4GB FAT logical drive, which  I can't access. NT says
 unknown
file type and linux says, bad fstype, or etc. etc. Disk Administrator
shows it as the proper size, but not type, fdisk -l under linux says
 that
/dev/hda6 (linux root) and /dev/hda7 (windows logical) overlap. The p
option  in fdisk shows the ending sector of /dev/hda6 to be 915 and
 the
beginning sector of /dev/hda7 to also be 915 not 916.  So do I move
 the
beginning sector of /dev/hda7 or the ending sector of
/dev/hda6?
And what would be the best way to go about it? I'm going to try
 Partition
Magic tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll just try to recover
 the
data and copy it to a new partition.
Any ideas are welcome,
thanks mike

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Michael Jordan) wrote:
> Hi, I have a 20GB hard drive set up with a 4GB partition booting
> WindowsNT Workstation and then a linux swap, a linux root, and a
 Windows
> partition of 4 GB and then free space with 8 GB or so free.
 Everything
> was working fine using the NT bootloader and a bootsect.lnx file I
> copied from /dev/hda7. I created a couple of windows partitions in
 the
> free space which moved my linux root partition from hda7 to hda6.
 It's

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SuSE 6.4 freezing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Ford)

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 09:19:53 +0200, Roman Kanala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>I have purchased SuSE 6.4 with 6 CDs and a manual because I wanted
>to use it for a Linux server. It is a PIII 6000 MHz, 512 Mb RAM,
>80 Gb HD machine with a 3Com905c network card. This box has been
>set up by Transtec Computer AG in Switzerland.
>
>I have installed everything, which is an option in the installation.
>There is no standard server configuration in the installer.
>
>There are two serious issues with SuSE Linux 6.4 on this machine:
>
>1. /dev/eth0 does not shut down at reboot. Instead, the machine
>freezes. The culprit could be the 3Com905c Fast Ethernet card
>drivers or a SuSE library somewhere. RedHat does not do that.
>
>2. The machine freezes from time to time. If using KDE, it
>freezes within a half an hour. In GNOME, it freezes about once
>a day. With no login, it freezes too. Unfortunately, RedHat X11
>does not work on the monitor which is a 21" workstation display
>by Digital.

I have had X freezes with SuSE on two different machines.
One was one that was upgraded many times; every SuSE since 4.4.1.
I had plenty of disk space, so I made a fresh install of 6.3
and copied over /home, /usr/local, and files from /etc/ and it works
 great now.
The other one was a fresh install of 6.4eval, but I downloaded all
 the
KDE updates and sorted out the proper OpenGL stuff/dependencies and
 it
works well now.
Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: samba troubles
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: "Marlous Mater" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Who can help me?? I have got my samba server working. There is only
 one
problem, the server has got a cdrom I have got shared, But the cd off
Office2000 is not working, because a kopple of files are hidden. I
 have
found one sollution, that is burning a new cdrom, but first lose the
 hidden
atribute. Please tell me there is another way to do this.

Marlous

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem on Installation of ALSA Driver 0.5.8
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Ford)

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:12:29 +0800, Holmes Cheng
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am very newbie in linux.
>
>When I ./configure, it is okay...
>but when I "make install", the error prompts
>"This code requires Linux 2.3.99-pre5 and higher"
>
>How can i solve this problem?  Should I need to
>upgrade my kernal?
>
>Thank you.
>
>best regards
>holmescheng

ALSA should work for 2.2.x kernels. Mine does. What kernel are you
 using?
--
yours,
Andy

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest