Linux-Setup Digest #23, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 10:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  modem help needed by newbie! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Getting NIC to work with MUlinux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cdrom mounting problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Help:apache did not run perl script ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  lilo.conf append help. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Queres entrar en Jubileo mas hermoso de toda la estoria... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cant create a partition with disk druid?? (newbie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Fdisk Error on 30gig IDE drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  What the heck is the default Samba password? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  idled and xdm ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't install kernel-source ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH 6.2 partitioning glitch (druid bug ?) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cdrom mounting problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cannot rsh to linux box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Xwindow test pattern in RH install ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: modem help needed by newbie!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What does "i can't get anything out of it" mean??  How do you know
 its
not a winmodem?

Tim Bartek wrote:

> My modem used to work on LM 6 but now on LM 7 nothing I do seems to
 work.
> I've tried the setserial command, and also setting the irq to
 autoconfig but
> can't get anything out of it.  On windows my modem is com3 irq 5.
 It is not

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partitions
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Reye)

I've setup Red Hat Linux before and had a look around but it was only
on a small partition.  I've now been able to get rid of Windows 98
 and
have a full 6Gb hard drive to muck around with and plan to install
Linux here.  My question is do I really need to create 6 or 7
different partitions as suggested or can I get away with just the
 main
partition and a swap partition?  What is the purpose of different
partitions?  Also I want to try and setup Linux as a server of sorts
 -
although it won't be doing any great things and will just be on my
home network.  I just want some experience in setting it up and
maintaining it.  So it'll be a web server, file server, mail server
and probably some other stuff like DNS.  Do I really need the whole
6Gb considering it just for testing or can I get away with say 4 of
5Gbs worth of space (I'd like to test BeOS out as well which is why I
want a little bit of space left over)

TIA

Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Getting NIC to work with MUlinux
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Holly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

read Beckys post re:- "AMD ethernet setup" it's six/seven post's
 earlier
than yours.

Holly

John P White wrote:

> I am trying to get my NIC to work with MUlinux. My nic is a AMD
 79C970.
> I am trying to get it to work with MUlinux (a small distro of linux
 that
> runs off a floppy disk). Here is what MUlinux says i have to do to
 get a
> module(i am assuming that is what the NIC driver is, a module) to
 work:

> 14.2 Modules
>
> The root partition resides on the floppy, split into two parts (see
> section What happens at boot time?): The first part (ROOT) just
 contains
> the directory
> structure (/bin, /lib, etc.)
>
> The first thing to do if you want to build a custom muLinux is to
 unpack
> the BOOT,ROOT,USR and X11 images with the command mu -u. It will
 unpack
> the
> BOOT partition under subdirectory tree/startup and ROOT+USR+X11
 under
> subdirectory tree/.
>
> Now, add, wipe, replace commands as you like.  <---HOW DO I DO
 THIS?

> If you want to change the kernel, compile it with make zImage and
 copy
> it under tree/startup/boot/mulinuz. The necessary modules must be
> gzipped
> and copied in tree/startup/modules/archive.tbz (see
> tree/startup/modules/README, for details).
>
> It is often necessary to specify parameters like io, irq and so on
 when
> you load a module. If your X.o module needs extra parameters just
 write
> them into
> tree/startup/modules/X.param, remembering that muLinux loads
 modules
> with a command equivalent to this
>
>      insmod X.o `cat X.param`
>
> Please note that you have to compile ext2, DOS, UMSDOS file-system
> support and ramdisk support directly into the kernel because they
 are
> needed at boot
> time for UMSDOS muLinux models.
>
> If you look into the mu script you will find a variable called
> BOOT_FREE: with it you can tune the free space you want on the BOOT
> partition, where all
> configurations are saved permanently and where you may want to save
 you
> emails for instance.
>
> and here is what the ethernet howto had to say about my NIC:
>
> AMD 79C970/970A (PCnet-PCI)

> This is the PCnet-PCI -- similar to the PCnet-32, but designed for
 PCI
> bus based systems. Please see the above PCnet-32 information. This
 means
> that you
> need to build a kernel with PCI BIOS support enabled. The '970A
 adds
> full duplex support along with some other features to the original
 '970
> design.
>
> Note that the Boca implementation of the 79C970 fails on fast
 Pentium

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to turn on remote root login?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Michael Nadler;

>> I've been told that an 'su -- -root' fixes that, but it doesn't on
>> either of my systems.
>>

 MN> "su" works as you describe, but "su -" does not. The "-" option
 MN> forces
 MN> (essentially) a fresh login to take place and PATH *will*
 change.

And you'll note the slight change in useage above.  I've not seen
 this
variation before, thanks.  I'll give this one a try.  I take it the
'root' is optional, and you'll need to enter that as well as the root
password in that event?

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cdrom mounting problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: CKTong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am running my P100 linux box using Mandrake 6.5.
When I try to use the the Cdrom, a KFM error message appear:

mount : /dev/cdrom
is not a valid block device

What seem to be the problem ?
Any help ?

CK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help:apache did not run perl script
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am learning to write simple cgi scripts. I could not get it to run
 on my
>Liunx apache. I can view web pages in /home/httpd/html directory,
 but I put
>some perl scripts in /home/httpd/cgi-bin, every time I tried to go
>http://myserver/cgi-bin/script, I got an access error message, in
 the error
>log it like this: "GET /cgi-bin/howdy.pl HTTP/1.1" 500 534".
>What is wrong and what should I do?
>My system: RedHat 6.1, Apache 1.3

Look in the error log, not the access log, for more information.
A 500 error is a server problem; with CGI scripts it often means
something went wrong before the script could write headers back.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: lilo.conf append help.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: "james" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

i've been trying to install an ISA ne2000 clone in my rh6.2 machine
 today,
and have had some troubles. i read somewhere that i have to put
 'append=
[something]' into lilo.conf so that linux will see my ISA card as
 eth0.
under win98, the card was IRQ10, I/O 300h. any ideas what i
have to add exactly?

thanks,
james.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Queres entrar en Jubileo mas hermoso de toda la estoria...
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: "NG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Roma para Ti:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Arena/3230

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: Ewan Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

danc wrote:

> Ronald Cole wrote:
>
> > Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > > in a terminal type whereis samba
> > > this should give something like
> > > [pat@localhost pat]$ whereis samba
> > > samba: /usr/sbin/samba /usr/man/man7/samba.7
> >
> > Better is "rpm -qa | grep samba".  Best is to just get the
> > samba-2.0.7-4 rpms off of updates.redhat.com and install those
 for
> > the security fixes.
> >
> > --
> > Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
> > Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      Phone: (760) 499-9142
> > President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> > My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3
 B00B

> OK, it's installed, but how to get it to work? I've tried
 everything. I'm at
> work on an NT4 ethernet. I have a second desktop machine running
 Readhat 6.2
> as a proof of concept to start replacing
> windows with Linux. I need to get SAMBA working. I tried  commands
 like
> these, as well as all the permutations, (10.2.1.135 is my NT4
 machine on our
> DHCP ethernet, shared is the name of the share I
> created on it to share to Linux,   /root/dchaplin is the directory
 I created
> in Linux to map the NT share to):
>
> smbmount -I //10.2.1.135/shared/  /root/dchaplin
>
> smbclient  //10.2.1.135/shared/ -U danc -I 10.2.1.135 -N
>
> can anyone steer me to a simple fool-proof guide to set up SAMBA so
 I can
> access my NT4 workstation through the ethernet with my REDHAT BOX
 ON THE SAME
> ETHERNET?

The best place to start for guides & doco is the SMB HOWTO by David
 Wood
et.al. from Plugged In Software ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  The document
can be found at your favourite HOWTO repository.  The next place to
 go
is your /usr/doc/samba-2.0.6 directory.

As far as making it work & finding out what the problem(s) is
 concerned,
go to samba.org and look for a file called DIAGNOSIS.txt (it might
 even
be somewhere in your /usr/doc/samba-2.0.6 directory).  That file
 takes
you through the various steps, in logical order, to find the _real_
cause of your problems, not just the imagined ones.

Good Luck!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Reye)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:31:12 +1000, Ewan Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Simon Reye wrote:
>>
>> I've setup Red Hat Linux before and had a look around but it was
 only
>> on a small partition.  I've now been able to get rid of Windows 98
 and
>> have a full 6Gb hard drive to muck around with and plan to install
>> Linux here.  My question is do I really need to create 6 or 7
>> different partitions as suggested or can I get away with just the
 main
>> partition and a swap partition?  What is the purpose of different
>> partitions?  Also I want to try and setup Linux as a server of
 sorts -
>> although it won't be doing any great things and will just be on my
>> home network.  I just want some experience in setting it up and
>> maintaining it.  So it'll be a web server, file server, mail
 server
>> and probably some other stuff like DNS.  Do I really need the
 whole
>> 6Gb considering it just for testing or can I get away with say 4
 of
>> 5Gbs worth of space (I'd like to test BeOS out as well which is
 why I
>> want a little bit of space left over)
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Simon
>

>No, you don't NEED to set up that many partitions.  All you really
 NEED
>is
>is a single primary partition with a swap _file_, but that is not
>recommended.
>
>My _personal_ minimum recommendation is a root partition (/) of
>1500-2000Mb,
>a swap partition of about 120Mb, and a home (/home) partition of
 1000Mb.
>The purpose of keeping the home partition separate is so that you
 can
>rebuild
>the whole system at any time without risking any of those cool
 downloads
>etc.
>that you have.

Oh and that's another thing I forgot to mention.  I now have 128Mb of
RAM so does that mean my swap partition should be around 256Mb?

Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cant create a partition with disk druid?? (newbie
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: "Trent Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Eric, many thanks on your post.  You have a very good thought here,
 the only
problem is that my 13 gig is primary master, 5 gig is primary slave
 and my
cd and cdr are my secondary drives.

I have a SCSI drive as well, but am not using for linux....

So with your chart the 5 gig western digital would be /HDB
 right...well man,
thank you soo much for trying...guess Ill just have to keep
 searching, or if
you have any other thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks

Trent

"Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi Trent,
>
> I'm making a guess here, and I'm not sure if it's the cause of
 you're
> problems, but is the 5G drive connected as /dev/hdc?. IIRC
 (some/all?)
> bios'es cannot boot from anything but hda and hdb, so it might be
 so
> that diskdruid
> -in order to prevent you from making an unbootable system- doesn't
 allow
> you to create a /boot on /dev/hdc. Connect the HDD as /dev/hdb and
 see
> if that resolves the problem.
>
> In case you don't know this yet:
>
> primary IDE controller  : master = /dev/hda
>                           slave  = /dev/hdb
> secondary IDE controller: master = /dev/hdc
>                           slave  = /dev/hdd
>
> Eric
>
> Trent Cook wrote:
> >
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I figured the best way to get out of my linux mess, was a
 complete fresh
> > install.  Guess not, cause here is my problem:
> >
> > I have 2 hard drives:  one 13gig cut up for windows and one 5gig
 cut up
for
> > linux.
> >
> > The problem is that I can only create a swap partion on my 5 gig
 drive.
> > have deleted all partitions in fdisk, disk druid, linux fdisk,
 delpart
etc
> > etc and every time I come to disk druid in the setup.  It says
 that I
have
> > 100% free space on  my 5 gig drive, but when I try to create a
 /boot or
a /
> > root drive it says there isnt enough space.
> >
> > Oddly enough I can create swap files (as many , or as big as I
 want with
the
> > 5 gig drive?)
> >
> > Why cant I make any other drives?  I tried creating them with
 fdisk and
> > converting to linux but no go.
> >
> > I did an Fdisk /mbr as well (just cause i ran out of things to
 try) but
> > nothing.
> >
> > So I guess Linux doesnt want to go on my machine, but I am sure
 that
there

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: Ewan Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fdisk Error on 30gig IDE drive
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I replaced a 20gig drive with a 30gig drive.  (used LBA on both)

I'm setting up RedHat 6.1, and using about a quarter of the drive for
a Win98 system for the FEW things that I still don't have on Linux.

I partitioned the drive using Partion Magic 4.0

I do a text mode install (ATI Rage video card....)

3 steps in I get:

"Fdisk Error
An error occurred reading the partition table for the
block device hda.  The error was: No free resources."

HUH????

The 20gig drive worked fine.  What's going on?

Heeeelp!  Please!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: What the heck is the default Samba password?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: Ignacio Valdes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello all,

I'm trying to get Samba 2.xxx working on my little home network.
 When I
enter smbclient -L hostname to see that it lists my share like my not
 so
great Samba admin guide says and it prompts me for a password!??? My
mediocre Samba admin guide sheds zero light on this. What should I
 give
it? I've sent it my regular passwords, nothing as well as a null
password, zip. I have not created a samba password file.  Can anyone
help me with this?

-- IV

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: idled and xdm
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: May Yam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all

Is there any package like 'idled' that kills idling X session from
remote X terminal.

I have tried setting up idled 1.16 on Redhat6.2 box and SuSE6.4
box (both with xdm on to manage some thin linux X terminals), idled
 did
not work. It seems that idled relies on wtmp and the 'last' or
 'finger'
commands on both boxes reported wrong login information (it either
missed the remote X session logon or it showed the wrong idle time
 for
the logon user). So does it have anything to do with the 'wrong'
 wtmp?
Does xdm and the remote sessions mess up wtmp?

What should I do? Please help! :(

Thankyou.

Regards
May

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't install kernel-source
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:47:27 -0400, Mel Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Using RPM to install kernel-source.  Error message returned
>"kernel-headers=2.2.5 is needed by kernel-source 2.2.5-15"
>The file "kernel-headers 2.2.5-15" is on the CDROM in the same
 directory.
>Redhat does not list the problem nor a fix.
>Any help is appreciated.

If one rpm is dependant on another rpm, it means you should install
 the
other one first.  Did you try installing the required kernel-headers
 and
then the kernel source?

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH 6.2 partitioning glitch (druid bug ?)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: Yeoh Yiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'm installing RH 6.2 on single hard drive machine,
and clobbering an NT4 server in the process.

I selected the Gnome Workstation configuration.

The first time I used disk druid to set up the partitions,
and about 20 steps (mostly configuring accounts and Xwindow)
and one hour later, when it came time to add packages, I
received an error:

        "Error mounting hda3: invalid argument"

this is not a useful message.

If it would tell me I'm trying to mount /tmp on filesystem
type swap and I need to change the filesystem type from
swap to linux native or something, but there's no detail on
what's wrong or what exactly needs to be changed.

Or maybe there was a problem with formatting these partitions,
but I saw no error message about formatting errors.

What's more annoying is after closing the Error message,
both the Back and Next buttons were grayed out, so I'm
stuck at having to reboot, choose language, time zone,
and Xwindow config info before I get another shot at
completing the error.  There should be a way to navigate
backwards without losing my hand entered data.

The second time, after rebooting from the boot.img floppy,
I tried fdisk an notably it showed partitions as
/tmp/hda1
/tmp/hda2
   etc
and then the next button lead my to a druid screen which
showed me the partitions which I had defined with fdisk,
but somehow I could not choose one of my partitions to be a
swap partition except by deleting a partition then adding
a new partition of type swap.

Anyway, I rebooted yet again from the boot.img floppy, and this time
asked for the KDE workstation, and had no problems recognizing my
partitions, and my packages are being added as fast as a 24x CD-ROM
can go.

I reboot without the floppy and Trend's clueless ChipAway tells me I
have a virus.  I take that to mean lilo was successfully installed,
changing my boot record, so I disable Trend in BIOS, and reboot,
and all is well.

squid.
 I just saw a headline "Celera Still Lagging After Genome News"
and read it as "Caldera still lagging after Gnome News".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

CKTong wrote:

> I am running my P100 linux box using Mandrake 6.5.
> When I try to use the the Cdrom, a KFM error message appear:
>
> mount : /dev/cdrom
> is not a valid block device
>
> What seem to be the problem ?

Its telling you the problem, /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.
Your CD drive has to be a block device, not a symlink pointing to the
block device.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cannot rsh to linux box
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi, we are setting up out first Linux box for our
network. The rest of the network are IBMs running
AIX. Everything looks to be working fine, but we
cannot rsh to the box. No error message... nothing.
The terminal just sits there as if it were waiting
for input. Any ideas? Is there a daemon or something
we need to enable on the linux machine. FTP, and
telnet work fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Xwindow test pattern in RH install ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT

From: Yeoh Yiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

on RH 6.2 install, during configuring X Window,
there is a section on testing the configuration
(monitor size, video chipset, and synch rate, etc.)

read about it at
http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-6.2-Manual/install-guide/s1-
d-rom-gui-xconf.html

Would anybody have been cluefull enough to take a screenshot
of what a 'successful' rendering of the
test pattern looks like ?

squid.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest