Linux-Setup Digest #26, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 13:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: is there a port to windows media player? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: redhat kernael upgrade ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Sharing files (John Thompson)
  new to linux (sylvain hutchison)
  ScSi Setup? ("The Chief")
  new to linux (sylvain hutchison)
  Re: PPP problems!!! PLease help!!! ("Steven Haigh")
  Re: lilo.conf append help. ("james")
  newbie question (sylvain hutchison)
  Re: ScSi Setup? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't "make" newsx (Colin Watson)
  Re: Please Help!!! (Colin Watson)
  Re: redhat kernael upgrade ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Exceed - Suse 6.4 - Pb with startx ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Au secours !!! (Michel C)
  Re: newbie question ("james")
  Linux Kernel i386 vs i586 vs i686 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Kernel i386 vs i586 vs i686 (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: Please Help!!! (Eric)
  Re: Au secours !!! (DeAnn Iwan)
  Newbie Questions ("Hector Mendoza Jr.")
  changing connection time for users (Fred Nastos)
  is it possible ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: is it possible (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: Backup Exec UNIX Agent ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Newbie: installing applications ("Jeff Malka")
  Re: is it possible (J Bland)
  Re: Cannot rsh to linux box (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: help : nis and group (Andrei Ivanov)
  Re: Efficient 3060 ADSL and Linux - do I have a prayer? (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Remote X login to linux server ??? (D G)
  Re: Strange Lilo "LI" problems (Andrey Vlasov)
  Re: Linux Kernel i386 vs i586 vs i686 ("Ronnie J Bell")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: is there a port to windows media player?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:27:29 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:10:10 GMT, "Daniel Klimkowski"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I need to know if there is a port of Windows media player to Linux or
>anything that emulates it.  I'm wanting it so that I can stream audio from
>online radio stations and most of them require Windows Media Player.

You apparently haven't read the responses to your previous post of
this question.

Short answer: No, there is no port of "Windows Media Player".
Microsoft has not (and probably will not) port this commercial product
to the Linux environment.

However, there are Linux packages that provide similar or identical
functionality. You have been referred to some of them.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: redhat kernael upgrade
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:01:19 GMT

A likely scenario is that you installed kernel source, recompiled
kernel, but, did not compile modules and install modules.  If after
running "make zlilo/make boot/make whatever", did you run "make modules
| make modules install."  That happened to me to.  Please read the
documentation on compiling kernels, because you need to first remove
old modules (mv /lib/modules-2.2.12 to /lib/modules-old) and then "make
modules_install."  If that isn't it check you modules.conf or whatever
config file for loading modules exist on your distribution (you didn't
mention which).
In article <8jcums$7va$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have just upgraded a system from 2.2.12 (which has been running fine
> for some time) to 2.2.16 and had numerous problems getting the system
> to boot in the first place. Eventually I loaded the SCSI drivers into
> the kernel and not as modules as the error messages seemed to imply
> that the SCSI module hadn't been loaded. The system then booted up.
But

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharing files
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:46:43 -0500

Ed Bras wrote:

> I want to work with a team on the same files with the same rights. What is
> the best way to do this ?
>
> What I do now is: I am the owner and give rights to the group. Whoever they
> can't use chmod to change user rights to make a file executable, or when
> they make a new file, I am not able to write into it ?
>
> So would like that the group is the owner and not a user when a file is
> created in a certain directory. Is something like this possible ?

Make a group with all the people you need to share with as
members.  Change the group ownership of the files to this group
(eg "chgrp share filename" where "share" is the name of the group
and "filename" is the file you wish to share).  Change the
permssions on the file(s) to allow the group read/write access to
the file (eg chmod u+rw filename) and then members of the "share"
group can read and write the file(s).  If the users belong to a
different group by default they will need to use "newgrp share"
to log into the "share" group.  You can put this newgrp command
and perhaps a umask command into the users' ~/.bashrc to help
automate this.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: sylvain hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new to linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:25:03 -0700

I'm very new to Linux, and I've just installed Red Hat 6.1 on my Pc, I
was wondering how could I change my screen resolution, it's just too
big.

Thanks for any help!!!!
Sly.

------------------------------

From: "The Chief" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ScSi Setup?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:23:53 -0700

Iam trying to setup scsi adapter! Iam using mandrake 7.0
on my Amd machine. I have a adaptec 1505ae for my scanner/Zip! Iam having
troubles getting linux to recognize card! do I need change Bios? my is Id#7!

Is there a website maybe gives us help! Adaptec doesn't support Linux!

------------------------------

From: "Steven Haigh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: PPP problems!!! PLease help!!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:31:04 GMT

ok - a couple of things....

1) are you getting this error on a dialin or a dial out?
2) what distro?
3) if dialout, does your ISP support PAP or do they use a script?

--
Steven Haigh

Voicemail:
Within Australia: (03) 8625 1342
International: +61 3 8625 1342

Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall,
through the router, down the T1,
over the leased line, off the bridge,
nothing but Net.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "james" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo.conf append help.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:39:10 GMT

wtf is chewtoy????

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ScSi Setup?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:44:09 +0200

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:23:53 -0700, "The Chief" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Iam trying to setup scsi adapter! Iam using mandrake 7.0
>on my Amd machine. I have a adaptec 1505ae for my scanner/Zip! Iam having
>troubles getting linux to recognize card! do I need change Bios? my is Id#7!
>
>Is there a website maybe gives us help! Adaptec doesn't support Linux!

But Linux supports Adaptec :-) You probably must recompile your kernel and
activate the AHA152x/2825 support. The 1505AE is covered by it.

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Can't "make" newsx
Date: 28 Jun 2000 14:36:34 GMT

Sam Hays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"George Kapuscinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Makefile:2: *** missing separator.  Stop"
>>
>> Here is how the Makefile looks.
>>
>> all:
>>  ./configure
>>  make
>>
>> install:
>>  ./configure
>>  make install
>
>type ./configure before you type make..
>that should fix ya right up :)

Um, if that's all the Makefile contains, then that should make no
difference.

Are those really spaces before the second, third, sixth, and seventh
lines of the Makefile above? They should be tab characters.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Please Help!!!
Date: 28 Jun 2000 14:34:34 GMT

Rajat Goon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I know it may be simple question for you.
>In the inet script, the line contains
>******************
>if [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ]
>then
>    exit 0
>endif
>*****************
>I am always getting syntax error "[: = " unary operator expected.
>
>But the same inet script is running in Redhat 6.1 box ok. The error I'm
>getting from Mandrake 7.0

Try putting double quotes round ${NETWORKING}, so "${NETWORKING}" (you
don't need the {} there anyway). If the NETWORKING environment variable
isn't set, then without the quotes this expands to [ = "no" ], which is
a syntax error.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"By our very nature as humans interacting with each other it is

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:41:52 GMT

In article <8jd0f3$9ct$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> A likely scenario is that you installed kernel source, recompiled
> kernel, but, did not compile modules and install modules.  If after
> running "make zlilo/make boot/make whatever", did you run "make
modules
> | make modules install."  That happened to me to.  Please read the
> documentation on compiling kernels, because you need to first remove
> old modules (mv /lib/modules-2.2.12 to /lib/modules-old) and
then "make
> modules_install."  If that isn't it check you modules.conf or whatever
> config file for loading modules exist on your distribution (you didn't
> mention which).Redhat 6.1

I edited the Makefile and defined a unique EXTRAVERSION so I don't need
to rm /lib/modules/2.2.12.
The procedure I follow is:

make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
cp bzImage to /boot
make modules_install
copy System.map to /boot (optional)
do a mkinitrd
lilo -v -v

The mkinitrd should store the scsi modules in a ram disk which the
kernel can then load at boot time, but this is obviously not happening.
With the scsi drivers in the kernel and not modules I can load the
network module manually using insmod.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Exceed - Suse 6.4 - Pb with startx
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:49:27 GMT

Thank you for your help. I understant now how it works.

Another question,

I've read that it's only a 60 days license... Do you know another
software like Exceed but free ?

Thanks

Fabrice

From: Michel C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Au secours !!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:55:34 +0100

J'ai un gros problème :

Je n'arrive plus à me logger sur mon linux.

Quoi que je mette dans mon login, il ne demande même pas le password et
reboucle directement sur le login.

Je ne peut plus renter. Que faire ?

Si quelqu'un a une réponse merci d'avance.

Réponse à : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A+

------------------------------

From: "james" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie question
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:09:10 GMT

You need to install XF86Setup or something similar. It's on the RedHat CD.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Kernel i386 vs i586 vs i686
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:15:16 GMT

This is probably specific to Redhat Linux.  I'm looking to upgrade a
Redhat kernel to 2.2.16 and I'm not sure which RPMs I need.  I am
running a Pentium II 400 Mhz, so does that mean I want the i686 RPMs
when available and otherwise the i386 RPMs?  I looked in the Redhat
Kernel Upgrade HOWTO and didn't find any info regarding this issue.

-Sean

Subject: Re: Linux Kernel i386 vs i586 vs i686
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:29:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This is probably specific to Redhat Linux.  I'm looking to upgrade a
> Redhat kernel to 2.2.16 and I'm not sure which RPMs I need.  I am
> running a Pentium II 400 Mhz, so does that mean I want the i686 RPMs
> when available and otherwise the i386 RPMs?  I looked in the Redhat
> Kernel Upgrade HOWTO and didn't find any info regarding this issue.
<snip>

Yest, that is correct... you should use the i686 rpms for optimal
performance even though the i386 version should work fine. I was
documented somewhere in the RedHat website but I can't seem to locate
it right now...

--
Prasanth Kumar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:37:11 GMT

Rajat Goon wrote:

> Hi,
>     I know it may be simple question for you.
> In the inet script, the line contains
> ******************
> if [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ]
> then
>     exit 0
> endif
> *****************
Are you sure it says endif and not fi ?????

my script says

# Check that networking is up.
if [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ]
then
        exit 0
fi

You could try putting ${NETWORKING} between double-quotes, that should
solve your problem.

Eric

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Au secours !!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:33:46 -0400

Try booting in run level 1, single user mode.  (see "man lilo" for
help).  You can also boot from a rescue floppy.  Both of these
approaches will let you get your system running so you can fix whatever
is wrong.

------------------------------

From: "Hector Mendoza Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Questions
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:42:20 -0500

I just installed Mandrake 7.0.  I decided to visit www.download.com and
download some linux applications to install.

I downloaded freeamp and did the following

tar zvxf filename
files extracted
next I tried to ./configure
I get a can't see cc or gcc in path error
how can i fix this???

also i downloaded doom.  the binaries won't execute.  any ideas???

one more question, how do i find out what "version"  i am running.  by
version do i mean kernal build???

thanks for your patience!

------------------------------

From: Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: changing connection time for users
Date: 28 Jun 2000 16:00:18 GMT

How does one change the time a user is allowed to
sit idle on a login? Currently, if someone logs in
from a remote terminal and sits idle for about 5
minutes they are automatically disconnected. I saw
this asked once before but could not dig it up.
Shouldn't this be something you could set change
using linuxconf?  Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: is it possible
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:03:32 GMT

Is it possible to install RedHat on a PC without CDROM and floppy disk
driver?

Subject: Re: is it possible
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:17:12 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Is it possible to install RedHat on a PC without CDROM and floppy disk
> driver?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You can install off another (usually Windows) partition.

--
Prasanth Kumar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Backup Exec UNIX Agent
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:14:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure) wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:29:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Thank you.  I tried to install it yesterday and I believe I did it
> >properly.  The problem I am having is communicating with the Novell
> >server which will be backing up the Linux machine.  The Novell server
> >can ping me but I can't see the Novell server with nmblookup. I
believe
> >that I need a Novell client in order to get everything working.  Do
you
> >know if I would use NFS or Netware?
>
> OK, I thought the backup server was an NT host. I have never worked
> with Netware, so check the manual that came with the BackupExec for
> Netware that you have.
>
> In any case, it's very unlikely you need anything else to back up *nix
> hosts besides this client. Obviously, BackupExec doesn't use SMB/CIFS
> to connect the server and its clients, so there's no need to install
> the equivalent of Samba on the Netware server.
>
> From experience, support from Seagate has been very bad. No idea if it
> has improved since Veritas bought their backup software, but we stuck
> with BackupExec for lack of a more stable but as feature-rich
> alternative on Linux.
>
> FF.

I now have everything working great.  I didn't need a client at all.  I
just communicated with TCP/IP.  The problem was a setting in the Backup
Exec for the Novell Server which took a second to switch it's protocol
to TCP/IP.
Thanks, Jeannie

From: "Jeff Malka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie: installing applications
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:01:11 -0400

Thank you very much indeed.  I appreciate it.

--
Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Learning Linux

news:8jadhs$b30$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Date: 28 Jun 2000 16:28:57 GMT

>> Is it possible to install RedHat on a PC without CDROM and floppy disk
>> driver?
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.
>
>You can install off another (usually Windows) partition.

Or via a network, with FTP or NFS, though without floppy or cdrom you'd have
to boot off another partition anyway.

Frinky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Cannot rsh to linux box
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:41:42 GMT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>From: Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>David Efflandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 28 Jun 2000 04:21:20 GMT, Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Do you have the following line UNcommented in /etc/inetd.conf:
>
>> login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rlogind
>
>Yes! It is uncommented. I'm assuming I should comment it out.
>Do I need to reboot the machine, or is there someother command
>that avoids that. Thank you

No, leave it alone. How about:

 shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rshd

Anything here that is commented out, is not enabled, and won't work.

--
Hal B
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrei Ivanov)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: help : nis and group
Date: 28 Jun 2000 16:41:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Jean Maeght <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nis works for password but not for groups.
> Example :
> client$ ypcat passwd
> maeght:yyyyyyyyyyyyyy:600:600:Jean Maeght:/home/maeght:/bin/tcsh
> client$ ypcat group
> client$
>
> But there is a group 600 on my nis server !

Can you see group.byname map with 'ypwhich -m'?
Does your /var/yp/nicknames file contain the "group group.byname"
record?

--
andrei

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Efficient 3060 ADSL and Linux - do I have a prayer?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:46:07 GMT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I recently got ADSL from my phone company, but all they support (and
>sell anymore) is USB or PCI internal modems. Everything I have seen
>about making ADSL work with Linux has been based on using an external
>modem with an ethernet interface. Can't afford it right now, gotta try
>to make what I have work.

You need an external, ethernet. BS does have the Alcatel SpeedTouch
Home, but seem like they reserve it for MacOS users. You might try
leaning on them. You can get this to if PCI and USB are not available
options.

>I have not been able to find any drivers for the 3060 card. Is there
>anything like it I might adapt?

No.

>Trying another tack, any chance I could run windoze in an emulator, run
>the ADSL drivers under that, and somehow get a connection out to Linux?

This doesn't work either since the hardware is not availalbe to Linux.

--
Hal B
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,sg.linux
Subject: Re: Remote X login to linux server ???
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:45:16 -0700

Paul Dragicevich wrote:

> Jeremy Low wrote:
> >
> > Anyone has any idea how I may do a remote X login to a linux server from a
> > windoz box. I wish to see the same X login display like I am in front of a
> > linux terminal presenting to me an X login.
> >
> > thanx there :-)
>
> I've had good results with XWin32 and also XCursion.  To have the login
> etc like you want to, use Xcursion and connect using XDMCP mode.  xdm
> has to be running on the linux machine for this to work.  When you
> connect, you will get a full screen window with your x login prompt
> which will then go on to display whatever window manager/desktop
> environment you use.
>
> With XWin32 you can use XDMCP mode as well but it doesn't work as well,
> I think it's because XWin32 acts as your window manager as well as your
> X server - I had errors from enlighnenment trying to start up.

I couldn't find Xcursion.  It looks like Compaq now owns it, but I
couldn't find it on their website.  Is there an evaluation version for
it?

--
DG
e-mail is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Strange Lilo "LI" problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:01:17 -0700

Hi there,

I had a similar problem and it was related to that I changed order of disks on
IDE chain. Solution was very simple - edit /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo. The
matter of the problem is that lilo loader point to wrong partition to load
kernel. I hope that everyone of you keep linux bootable floppy for case like
this ;-) (of cause you can use bootable CD as well.)

Andrey

------------------------------

From: "Ronnie J Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:02:32 GMT

Redhat's upgrade to kernel-2.2.16-3 is located at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/kernel-upgrade/kernel-upgrade.html
The i686 kernel ftp site is
ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.2/i686/kernel-2.2.16-3.i686.rpm

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8jd4pf$d6t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> This is probably specific to Redhat Linux.  I'm looking to upgrade a
> Redhat kernel to 2.2.16 and I'm not sure which RPMs I need.  I am
> running a Pentium II 400 Mhz, so does that mean I want the i686 RPMs
> when available and otherwise the i386 RPMs?  I looked in the Redhat
> Kernel Upgrade HOWTO and didn't find any info regarding this issue.
>
> -Sean
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest