Linux-Setup Digest #46, Volume #19                Sat, 1 Jul 00 09:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Can't Boot from Compiled Kernel (2.2.13) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: does linux work with windows 98 ("greg smart")
  Re: DHCP and Gnome (E J)
  Locale Settings and X (icebeing)
  Re: SCSI module (E J)
  Re: usb mouse (E J)
  modem usr (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Patte)
  Re: x-windows' input device ,such as touchscreen .....? ("jacky cui")
  Re: configuring HTTP and FTP acesss ("ed johnson")
  Netscape Hanging on launch ("RP")
  Re: Help Uninstalling Linux (Diwa del Mundo)
  Re: Netscape Hanging on launch (Manfred Mehlhorn)
  Re: Fetchmail Question (Colin Watson)
  Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to Mount root fs on 2:42  <===everytime !!?? ("the curious
one")
  Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo... (Cliff Pennock)
  Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo... ("Andrew E. Schulman")
  Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo... (Cliff Pennock)
  Re: Xterm Backspace not working (Thomas Dickey)
  Thanks for the help Neil :0 ("the curious one")
  Re: modem usr (Rob Clark)
  RH6.0, SCSI tape & rescue ("Robert Jones")
  Re: kppp problem (Timothy Murphy)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can't Boot from Compiled Kernel (2.2.13)
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 06:27:02 GMT

In article <395b3f69$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My normal sequence for compiling the 2.2.13 kernel is:
>
>make dep
>make clean
>make bzlilo
>make modules
>make modules_install
>

>Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
>
>============================

I doubt if it makes any difference, but have you altered
your compilation sequence, to see if you get better results?
For example:

make dep clean modules modules_install bzImage

and then copy bzImage to /vmlinuz?

Also, did you run depmod -a right after compilation?

Later in the boot process, make sure that kerneld
(or kmod??) is started, so that modules can be
loaded as needed.

Another thing you might want to try is this: when you
you run makeconfig (or whatever you use to set how the
kernel will be compiled), try building a bare-bones, stripped
down, just-the-absolute-essentials kernel. Like, leave out the
sound support, network stuff, joystick, etc, etc. (you get the idea).
Leave out anything that is not essential to the goal of getting a
login:, password:, and shell prompt on your screen!

Make sure you have support for your boot drive (SCSI or IDE?),
and the filesystem (ext2fs ?) compiled in the kernel, not modules.
In fact, when you run your configure script, don't compile
ANYTHING as a module (paradoxically, you SHOULD still compile
in the module support); compile everything into the kernel. Once
you have a minimal kernel that will at least boot, you can then start
adding more features back to your configuration, as well as compiling
some things as loadable modules (you don't want too big of a kernel).
I'm no expert, just a person who has walked in your shoes :) The main
thing is to keep your kernel as lean and simple as possible until you
can actually get it to boot, then start adding the bells and whistles.

Good luck, I hope you can solve your problem soon.

------------------------------

From: "greg smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: does linux work with windows 98
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 16:31:21 +1000

i would like to no how i can make windows 98 work with linux, linux is the
server and and windows 98 are the workstations.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP and Gnome
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:40:57 -0700

My dhcp gets a new ip address from my ADSL.  Once in a while it get a new
hostname from the dhcp.
As root, set your hostname to a generic hostname.
# hostname localhost.localdomain
Your default hostname (localhost.localdomain) will remain until it get a new
hostname from dhcp.

------------------------------

From: icebeing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux
Subject: Locale Settings and X
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 07:43:35 GMT

==============79203BFD2029E1CACB6184AD

Hi,

  Anyone out there can explain to me where X locale settings
are stored?  Whenever I start a gnome-session I get the following
error:

"Locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C"

Thanks, Ice.
--
"Klingon program function calls do NOT have 'parameters' - they have
'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."

"You question the worthiness of my code?
  I should kill you where you stand!"
   -- K'Pleth Klingon Programmer Squadron

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI module
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:54:30 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have recently upgraded a redhat system from 2.2.12 to 2.2.16 and can
> no longer load the SCSI disk controller card's driver as a module. The
> controller has the SCSI boot disk attached (initrd has been created).
> The controller card is a NCR53C8XX and works fine when compiled
> directly into the kernel.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Mark.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 Check your /etc/conf.modules to see if it has the scsi entries in it.
 Here are my entries for my scsi card

 alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
 options aha152x aha152x=0x340,10,7,1

create initial ramdisk images for preloading modules
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.14-6.1.1.img 2.2.14-6.1.1

in your lilo.conf file, to load the modules.
add the following line
 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-6.1.1.img

now create a new lilo
# /sbin/lilo

And always make a backup of those files I described, just in case you
mess up or  you get lousy advice :)

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: usb mouse
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 01:00:04 -0700

RH6.2 does not fully support USB.
If you can wait, Kernel 2.4 will support USB.
If you can't wait and can put up with the bugginess, development Kernel
2.3pre99 will also support USB.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Patte
Subject: modem usr
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 10:24:50 +0200

Bonjour,

Does anyone succeeded to install a modem: us robotix model No 2884?

pciscan reply that it is an "unknown device"

Thank you.

-- François Patte. UFR de mathématiques et informatique.
45 rue des St Pères. 75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tel: 01 44 55 35 59 -- Fax: 01 44 55 35 35

------------------------------

From: "jacky cui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: x-windows' input device ,such as touchscreen .....?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 16:26:31 +0800

thanks.
I have read the touchscreen HOWTOs .but i want to know the internel
architectures of touchscreen with x-windows interface. as well as i want to
get the Elo graphics an MicroTouch drivers source code.but i can not find
them
in internet, my touchscreen is not standard supported in linux,so i want to
find  source code above and modify it to fit my need .

can you help me?

--
===============================
Best wish to you

news:8jjuo3$fme$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "ed johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: configuring HTTP and FTP acesss
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:25:21 +0100

get a copy of proftpd and scrap the wu-ftp its much better and VERY easy to
ristrict users.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.softalk.co.uk

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "RP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Netscape Hanging on launch
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:53:32 GMT

ok.....I have managed to now get a connection to my isp.  However when I
luach Netscape it just hangs....sometime to the point where only a reboot
sorts things out.

Any advices...things to check etc appreciated.

Thanks
Russ

------------------------------

From: Diwa del Mundo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help Uninstalling Linux
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 10:30:03 GMT

Try running the setup again. Use the fdisk utility to delete the existing
ext2 partition and replace it with a vfat 32 file system. Then format and
re-install windows.

Diwa del Mundo
Linux Reg.#131435

------------------------------

From: Manfred Mehlhorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Netscape Hanging on launch
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:13:22 +0200

RP [EMAIL PROTECTED] hat geschrieben:
> ok.....I have managed to now get a connection to my isp.  However when I
> luach Netscape it just hangs....sometime to the point where only a reboot
> sorts things out.
No, this is not a hangup (I guess). Start Netscape, have a cup of
coffee[1] and see what happened in meantime. Netscape makes a DNS-lookup
and if he is not online, he waits a few minutes. If you are online and
Netscape starts, then is the Solution: put the Server of your ISP in your
/etc/hosts[2]. But maybe he really hangs. There could be a problem
with the Busmaster-some-any-dontknow-thing. On the german Suse-sdb is
a update for Netscape with Busmaster-(t)error.

Manne
[2] Oh, now I see you're from UK, you can also have tea instead ;-)
[2] Helps not in all cases.
--
Wer A sagt... ist gerade beim Arzt
http://private.freepage.de/mallorno

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Fetchmail Question
Date: 1 Jul 2000 10:58:23 GMT

Tom Hoffmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:42:04 -0500, David ..
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Jeffrey Lacy wrote:
>>> Hi.  I am running Redhat 6.2.  How can I make fetchmail fetch mail
>>> every X minutes without manually starting it?  Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Use "cron"
>
>Don't use cron, use fetchmail in daemon mode:
>
>fetchmail -d 600
>
>will run fetchmail every 600 seconds.

I've found fetchmail's daemon mode to be unreliable; every so often it
encountered some kind of transient networking error and decided to die
with a SIGTERM. Since the only record of this was in the logfile it
wrote (otherwise it just looked like I was getting no mail), it reached
the point where I had to write a cron job which mailed me if the last
line of the logfile was "Terminated with signal 15" or whatever. This
all seemed rather silly, so I switched to using cron for fetchmail
itself.

After all, as a friend of mine put it, cron is the bit of your system
that's *designed* to run processes at regular intervals.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Why would you make a better DPL than Wichert?

------------------------------

From: "the curious one" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to Mount root fs on 2:42  <===everytime !!??
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 11:14:11 GMT

Hi,

I have received this msg (abv) everytime i reboot either Redhat 6.0 or
Caldera 2.3 after installation !? What does this mean ? And I also get  a
screen full of "01 01 01 01 01"  after i reboot the first time.     Why ??!

Also when i try to install Caldera 2.3 i cannot seem to run X11 because
after i press the Finish button for installing i get back to the terminal
scr with text and i also get the msg that there is a config problem and that
X11 is not configured.And also a msg saying that i shld get info on my
hardware and then run lizardx.  I hv done all tat ... but i still get the
"01 01 01 01 01" after i reboot.

How come I am getting the same msg with both versions ??

Can anyone help ??

Leanne

------------------------------

From: Cliff Pennock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:16:46 +0200

When it rains...

Anyway, I recompiled my kernel (2.2.16) and in my enthousiasm (I finally
got native support for my IDE controller!) I forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
(Why do you always realise such things at the exact same moment you
press [ENTER] after typing "shutdown -r now"?)

The worst part is, I had just accidently deleted my boot-diskette a few
hours before (hey - it was late yesterday).

So needless to say, Linux doesn't boot anymore (get the message "ran out
of input data").

How can I make a boot diskette? I Or can anyone point me to a HowTo or
other document explaining the steps to take to fix this? I really,
REALLY, don't want to re-install Linux... I am able to boot from the
installation CD, but am unable to mount my harddisk after that). PS: I'm
running Debian/Slink.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 07:53:52 -0400

> When it rains...
>
> Anyway, I recompiled my kernel (2.2.16) and in my enthousiasm (I finally
> got native support for my IDE controller!) I forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
> (Why do you always realise such things at the exact same moment you
> press [ENTER] after typing "shutdown -r now"?)
>
> The worst part is, I had just accidently deleted my boot-diskette a few
> hours before (hey - it was late yesterday).
>
> So needless to say, Linux doesn't boot anymore (get the message "ran out
> of input data").
>
> How can I make a boot diskette? I Or can anyone point me to a HowTo or
> other document explaining the steps to take to fix this? I really,
> REALLY, don't want to re-install Linux... I am able to boot from the
> installation CD, but am unable to mount my harddisk after that). PS: I'm
> running Debian/Slink.
>
> Thanks in advance.

No, by no means should you reinstall.  Here's what to do:

1) Boot from the installation CD, and when the installation menu comes
up, press Alt-F2 to get a command prompt (very simple shell-- can't
remember its name).

2) Mount the partition that has your kernel in it, e.g. if it's
/dev/hda5,

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

3) Make a boot floppy from your new kernel.  If the kernel name is
bzImage, then

dd < bzImage > /dev/fd0

4) Reboot using your new boot floppy, and rerun lilo.

Then keep that boot floppy on hand!  You may also want to have a set of
rescue floppies on hand-- go to
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/,
download rescue.bin and root.bin, and use dd as above to copy each of
those files onto its own disk.

Good luck,
Andrew.

------------------------------

From: Cliff Pennock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 14:18:53 +0200

If you were a woman, I'd kiss you!!!

Thanks, that solved my problem!

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xterm Backspace not working
Date: 1 Jul 2000 12:20:16 GMT

Jeff Makey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8ji7n2$6sl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>When running a xterm on the new machine and displaying it
>>remotely to another pressing the backspace key yields "~".

> This happened to me on Red Hat 6.2 because I use the

>  XTerm*ttyModes: intr ^C erase ^?

> X resource to guarantee that the delete character deletes, *and* I
> redefine the big backspace key to send a delete character by doing
> this:

>  keysym BackSpace = Delete

the underlying problem is that we've accumulated three things that are
being equated as "Delete":
        ASCII backspace (code 8)
        ASCII delete (code 127)
        VT220 "remove" aka "delete" (ESC [ 3 ~)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: "the curious one" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Thanks for the help Neil :0
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 12:26:31 GMT

------------------------------

Subject: Re: modem usr
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 12:19:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
François Patte  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anyone succeeded to install a modem: us robotix model No 2884?
>pciscan reply that it is an "unknown device"

If the FCC registration number is 4X2USA-25314-M5-E and/or the PCI Device
ID is 1006, then you have a 3Com/USR "Alana," which is a Windows-only
controllerless modem.  Sorry :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html <-- Linux/modem compat. list

------------------------------

From: "Robert Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6.0, SCSI tape & rescue
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 07:39:16 -0600

I'm not sure this is the proper group for this question but here goes... I
running RH6.0 and recently acquired a SCSI card and DAT drive. I built a
new kernel (2.2.16) to get support for the drive. After a few tries,
everything works when I boot from hard drive:

[root@localhost rj]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
 DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN
[root@localhost rj]#

<insert tape>

  [root@localhost rj]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
[root@localhost rj]#

Since I thought it might be nice to be able to restore from tape after
booting from floppy in rescue mode, I created a new boot floppy. The
problem is, when I boot from floppy, insert the rescue disk and enter the
command above at the # prompt, I'm greeted with a msg that /dev/st0 does
not exist. Sure enough, it doesn't.

Is there any way around this or am I attempting the impossible?

Thanks for any help or pointers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Murphy)
Subject: Re: kppp problem
Date: 1 Jul 2000 13:57:34 +0100

Eddie John Creasey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I am using
>Red Hat  6.2 which makes connecting to the internet simple ,  as long as
>you know your isp number and have an external modem the rest is easy its
>all done for you Russ.

It's easy if it works.
Otherwise it is difficult.
In my view (and experience)
it is easier in case of difficulties
to get PPP working with the basic pppd
rather than with kppp.
Once it is working, kppp is nice.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest