Linux-Setup Digest #46, Volume #21               Sat, 14 Apr 01 15:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: LINUX setup help(intel) (Chiefy)
  Re: Problem with PPP (Bill Unruh)
  Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2 ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  Re: Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2 ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  booting from hd (Riyaz Mansoor)
  Re: Newbie: No init found... (David)
  Re: i2c packages? (David)
  One more who needs help! ("Krstanovic")
  Re: booting from hd (David)
  Re: One more who needs help! ("" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: address in use for setserial command ("RM")
  Re: Redhat 7.0 install problem, unable to initialize eth0 (""
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: booting from hd ("" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  486 help??!! (Miguel)
  Re: Resizing a Linux ext2 partition??? (P.S.)
  Re: mini CLI (command line interphase) (Craig Kelley)
  Re: I mistakenly uninstalled the rpm package..(how to install it back) (Craig Kelley)
  Adding a Adaptec 2940 to Linux (Lars Oeschey)
  Re: One more who needs help! (Earl Lewis)
  #sndconfig - command not found ("David Mayo")
  Re: Alcatel ADSL USB Speedtouch modem help (tricia)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Subject: Re: LINUX setup help(intel)
Date: 14 Apr 2001 13:05:46 GMT

14 Apr 2001 13:47 UTC, Yaniv Kats did say to the dudes:
> I have problem during setup to manually configure the system files, i use
> disk druid and succeed to configure native partition and swap partition
> ,BUT, i just can't see the OK button enable so i can push it and move on to
> the next screen .

Have you tried F12 ?

--
Chiefy. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I put the phone back on the hook, and straight away it rings. I hate it
when it does that, it takes me AGES to get my walkman phones in. - BOFH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Problem with PPP
Date: 14 Apr 2001 14:40:12 GMT

In <9b9ibs$p2j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Lionel Doray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Hi; I am a totally new user of Linux. I 'm trying to install LINUX on my
]computer with the Red Hat 5.0 version.
]   I d like to run a PPP connection. When I make a 'dmesg' I can see easily
]that PPP is not supported now by my kernel. I read the HOWTO file

Horseshit. ppp is supported. The HOWTO files are way way out of date.
(What distribution would ship without ppp?)
anyway, the test is
Make sure /etc/ppp/options is empty.
/usr/sbin/pppd
if you see a bunch of garbage pppd is in the kernel. If not, make sure
kerneld is running.

See www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for more details.

]corresponding to PPP setup, and it told me to recompile the kernel. First I
]should do a 'make xconfig' (for instance) and respond 'Y' to the question
]'PPP <CONFIG_PPP>': But the problem is that I do not see this question!
]It'd be nice if someone could help me.

By the wayk, why in the world are you using a 4 year old distribution,
Redhat 5.0? Please get a more modern distro. Much has been fixed.
]Thank you
]Lionel

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:50:41 +1000

Using a RedHat 6.x distro, I have a lot of things updated:

kernel 2.2.19 with reiserfs
glibc 2.1.3
binutils 2.9.5
cpp 2.95
gcc 2.95
gcc-c++ 2.95
qt 2.3
Xfree 4.0.3
kde 2.1

As you can see above, I have upgraded gcc from 2.9.1 ( that came with
egcs ) to gcc 2.95 ( from libc6 contrib RPM ) due to a compiler bug that
I encounered compiling qt 2.3 with "march=i686".

However, I wanted to upgrade from kde 2.1 to kde 2.1.1. Since there are
no RPMs for RedHat6.x of kde 2.1.1, I downloaded the SRPMS and try to
build the RPMs and install them. Building kdesupport went okay ( with
"rpm -bb --target=i686 kdesupport-2.1.spec" ). Now I am trying to build
kdedoc with "rpm -bb --target=i686 kdedoc-2.1.1.spec". However, the
build requires perl 5.6.0, which in turn requires glibc 2.2.

With the exception of installing a new distro, I have not done a major
glibc upgrade. So my questions are:

1) Is it safe? Will the existing apps that were compiled, static or
shared, with glibc 2.1 still work with glibc 2.2? The only information I
can find about this is on the link below:

        http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/glibc-FAQ.html#2.3

... but it seems that the document is about a move from libc5  to libc6.
Is there a more updated version of this doc specifically for a move from
glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2?

2) Has anyone with a RedHat 6.x distro done this, using the glibc-2.2
RPMS from rawhide?

Any help appreciated,

John

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 01:11:02 +1000

One thing to mention is that the gcc-2.95 and gcc-c++-2.95 ( and
gcc-java-2.95 ) packages where installed from using contrib RPMS for
libc6. Therefore, the binaries of gcc and g++ ( both 2.95 ) that I
currently have work for glibc-2.1.3 ( since they were distributed under
the libc6 directory from redhat's contrib site instead of the glibc22
directory ).

From: Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: booting from hd
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:25:14 +1000

i'm currently booting from the linux startup floppy disk. how do i load
lilo to the harddisk so that it gives a prompt to goto linux or windows?

riyaz

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie: No init found...
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:52:08 GMT

don stefani wrote:

> Hello all,
> went to deja.com , saw that this is somewhat common but could fine what I
> needed.
> It lead me here. If there is an FAQ for this I apologize, I have not read
> it.
> (side question) How does one find the FAQ for any given group?
>
> My question:
>
> Here is the error at bootup:
> "VSF: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
>   freeing unused kernal memory: 64k freed
>   Warning: unable to open initial console
>   Kernal panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernal"
>
> I used the boot disk to restart and I let it default to hda5,
> since I didn't know what else to tell it to do. It appered to load
> everything [OK]
> Xwindows started but at the grey grid-type screen it hung,
> I tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and the login screen came up and then it went
> back to the grey-grid with X curser.
> I did Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and x stopped and I was able to login at the
> prompt.
> Everything else seems normal.

Have you tried entering "linux 3" at the lilo prompt to see if it will
boot into a text console?

If it will then you might want to run "Xconfigurator" again to see if
that will fix the problem with X.

If it still doesn't boot when using the "linux 3" at the lilo prompt
then try "linux root=/dev/hdaX"  without the quotes, where hdaX is the
correct root partition.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.160% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i2c packages?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:54:54 GMT

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> I want to set up temperature sensing for my system, and as best I can
> tell from Web searches and poking around int
> /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.5.5, I need a module called i2c-viapro.o for
> my board.
>
> I have this module in some of my kernels installed from RPM kits:
>
> /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.5.5/busses/i2c-viapro
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.0/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.c
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-0.1.28/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.0-0.99.11/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-0.1.49/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.o
>
> How can I get this module for 2.4.3 ?
>
> I have several kernels on my system, but when I "make xconfig", the
> 2.4.0 kernel is the only one that offers a "Hardware sensors support"
> section under "Character devices".

Try a simple search at google for "i2c".

http://www.google.com/linux

From: "Krstanovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,yu.os.unix
Subject: One more who needs help!
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:40:40 +0200

I have just installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 and I have a verrryyyy LARGE
problem!
I cannot configure my Rockwell 56K modem and XWAVE QS3000a soundcard.
Can anybody help me?I would be very gratefull if you can send me some
instalation instructions
or some Internet adres on which I could find help!

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: booting from hd
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:05:14 GMT

Riyaz Mansoor wrote:

> i'm currently booting from the linux startup floppy disk. how do i load
> lilo to the harddisk so that it gives a prompt to goto linux or windows?
>
> riyaz

Something like this should do it. Then run "lilo -v" to see if any
errors show up.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

From: "<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,yu.os.unix
Subject: Re: One more who needs help!
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:17:35 -0400

Is your Rockewell 56k modem, a Winmodem?

From: "RM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: address in use for setserial command
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:16:14 -0400

Nader,

Thanks,

It automatically set it to /dev/ttyS4  -- I didn't realize all the stuff
that is upgraded in the 2.4 kernel.  I wanted it because it supports SMP a
lot better.

Thanks again

Rob

------------------------------

From: "<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.0 install problem, unable to initialize eth0
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:40:16 -0400

No..No! Nothing is messed up in Redhat :-)  Goto
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/etherlink.htm and goto your NIC's
page. And Download the Configuration utility! After you install the utility
(which is in DOS), you need to run it. In the utility, you turn of PNP
support (**Very Imporant **). Then you save the changes! You reboot. And I
think you need to re-install redhat to get the modules or not! Then try it
out! If you need any help, don't hesitate to e-mail me...

Good luck!

Richard Fox wrote in message
<5XIB6.4399$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi folks,   TIA for any help you may offer here
>
>I have a 2 computer lan, NT laptop and Dell desktop previously running
>Redhat 6. I upgraded my Dell to Rh 7, and my ethernet device initialization
>is failing now. When I boot, I get
>
>bringing up eth0 interface: delaying eth0 initialization    [FAILED]
>
>running "ifconfig eth0"   results in
>eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
>"ifconfig -a" only shows loopback device lo
>
>So my hardware is not even recognized. Yet if I run
>Programs->System->Network configuration->Interfaces, there it is, eth0
>assigned IP 192.168.0.229, proto no, atboot yes, inactive. I am unable to
>activate it here. Basically if I activate it nothing happens, network still
>doesn't work.
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart gives same error message as at boot time,
>i.e. bringing....[FAILED]
>
>I am sure my ethernet hardware works as I just booted NT on same computer
>and ethernet works.
>
>It is not an ethernet card, interface is on the Dell motherboard. It is a
>rather old computer, a Pentium II 450 but was bringing up eth0 fine under
RH

------------------------------

From: "<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:56:34 -0400

don't forget to run 'lilo' again to update the settings!

Subject: 486 help??!!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:10:19 GMT

[posted and mailed]

well i have an old 486 with 8mb ram and a 4go Hd and i wanna know which is
the best way to install linux. i dont have any cdrom drive but im on adsl.

------------------------------

From: P.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Resizing a Linux ext2 partition???
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:14:57 +0100

Thanks for your help.
I just have made my changes with partition magic 5.
All working fine.
I know that way you say, but i didnīt want to spend much time, i know
that with one of the partitions magic i counld deal with the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards
P.S.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mini CLI (command line interphase)
Date: 14 Apr 2001 11:57:05 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony) writes:

> With KDE alt-f2 pops up a single command line input prompt similar to
> M$-Windows "run" - it's called minicli. Does anybody know of anything
> else like it but which doesn't require kde?.

I use mini-commander, which is a GNOME panel applet

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I mistakenly uninstalled the rpm package..(how to install it back)
Date: 14 Apr 2001 12:00:25 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ("v.nagasrinivas") writes:

> Hi,
>                  I am Using SuSe 6.3 evaluation version linux,
> After installing the linux, I mistakenly selected the rpm packages( =
> through install/delete option of YAST(yet another
> setup tool) tool).
>                  Then its (Yast is giving trouble for selecting any =
> other package or so).
> How to get it back rpm with out reinstalling the linux...
>
> Could you please help me...

You'll probably need to go to www.rpm.org and download the source and
re-compile it.  It's pretty easy to do if you read the instructions
(and if you have gcc installed).

From: Lars Oeschey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,;
Subject: Adding a Adaptec 2940 to Linux
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:04:01 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to add a 2940 to my Suse Linux 7.0. When I issue a
"modprobe aic7xxx" it works fine, and I see all scsi devices. I'v
changed the line "alias scsi_hostadapter off" to "alias
scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" in /etc/modules.conf. I changed the Line
"INITRD_MODULES='eeepro100'" (my networkcard) to
"INITRD_MODULES='eeepro100 aic7xxx'" in /etc/rc.config. I did a
"mk_initrd" and a "lilo". No Error anywhere. After a reboot though, I
just get a "0 hosts" message on boot.
I don't really want to add a "modprobe aic7xxx" to my startup
procedure, why does the above not work?

Lars

------------------------------

From: Earl Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,yu.os.unix
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:11:01 GMT

Here's a modem compatibility list:
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/20010212a.html

I never even bothered to try and get my cheapie sound card installed
in RedHat7.

I paid just shy of $80 to buy a modem guaranteed to work in Linux.
I've since heard that all external modems will work. Dunno if that's
true. There is problems with PCI internal modems, I bought the Zoom
2920, which was said to work. After nearly 30 days Zoom admitted there
was problems, anyway with RH7. I exchanged it for an ISA Zoom 2919,
which does work. SOME winmodems will work, some won't.
Earl

From: "David Mayo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,es.comp.os.linux,esp.comp.so.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: #sndconfig - command not found
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:45:16 +0100

Hi, newbie here.
Recently installed RHL 7 on my Pico laptop (233 MMX)
Using driver for Yamaha OPL3 - SAx WDM
Which works OK for Windows.

Does anyone understand why I get this message?
ie. # sndconfig
command not found

NB: when I search for the sndconfig file I find it, so it's there... but not
working.

Ta very much.
DM

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:52:03 +0100
From: tricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: btopenworld.broadband.technical.chat
Subject: Re: Alcatel ADSL USB Speedtouch modem help

linux drivers are now available www.alcatel.com although still not supported
bt bto

poiu@[127.6.6.5] wrote:

> "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > 1. Has anyone managed to configure this modem with Redhat ?
>
> The best way to configure it is with a 2 by 4.
>
> > 2. The PC i am running linux on does not have a USB port. If I buy a
> > standard PCI-USB card, will Redhat linux support the USB ports ? Could
> > someone with same configuration let me know...
>
> It will support the USB port, it won't support the modem, until/if the
> drivers arrive. When they do, configure the USB modem as in point 1, then
> run, don't walk, to somewhere like ebay and buy an ethernet speed touch
> home modem. Having drivers for something that is crap, doesn't make it
> not crap any more.
>
> Paul

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest