Linux-Setup Digest #60, Volume #19                Mon, 3 Jul 00 09:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why is my harddisk so slow? (Cliff Pennock)
  Apps Overfilling Screen ("David M. Carney")
  Re: SCSI module ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Star office license problem (Richard Steiner)
  Re: SUSE 6.3 (or *.4?) --ran out of input data :-( ("Edwin Boersma")
  Fetchmail and Exchange ("Edwin Boersma")
  Re: * I found a powerful ftp program.... (Thomas Zajic)
  s.n.a.f.u. 1b-i (Uncle)
  Re: Partitioning of large IDE-Disk (Oliver D. Bedford)
  Can't make ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Install OpenGL on TNT 2 (Major Easy)
  Re: dialup connection............. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Xfree86-4.0 and TrueType fonts (Robin Atwood)
  Redhat 6.2 Dual boot Win2000 ("SETI Software")
  XTerminal Keyboard Problem (NorbertSchmidt)
  Apache Frontends? ("Deon Boshoff")
  sorry your X11 server lacks DMPS (mtp)
  Weird Mandrake7.1/Windows interaction regarding partitions (Alberto BARSELLA)
  Again : Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card ("Jeremy Low")
  LILO ("mpl")
  Re: LILO (Joe Chiasson)
  Re: FTP install of RH 6.2?? ("PositiveG")
  Re: Fetchmail and Exchange ("Tozz")

From: Cliff Pennock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is my harddisk so slow?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:14:42 +0200

J Bland wrote:

> >I've tried lots and lots of settings, none of them seem to make any
> >difference...
>
> You've probbly tried, but when I recently optimised my harddisc system I
> tried benchmarks using various transfer modes;
>
> Standard FPIO4
> DMA 2
> UDMA 2
> etc
>
> The chipset and hdd were both UDMA capable but UDMA gave the same speed as
> FPIO, for various modes, both at 2x as slow as DMA mode 2.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is, which transfer mode does your BIOS
> say it is using (Mine has the options of FPIO1 up to FPIO4/DMA2, but I'm not
> sure if Linux even takes any notice of this).
>
> It sure is puzzling.

It sure is... :)

My BIOS sets up the PIO and DMA automatically. At boot, the BIOS says it
is using PIO mode 4 and UDMA mode 4.

Yep, this one has got me stumped..

------------------------------

From: "David M. Carney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apps Overfilling Screen
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 05:18:31 -0500

Hi, and thanks for reading.

I'm running Gnome 1.2 & Sawfish .027.2. Sometimes Pan (& a few other apps,
such as GTop) will open and fill the desktop I'm using (the desired
result). Sometimes they'll do that plus overlap into the next work space.
In order th reach the buttons to close, etc, you either have to move the
app over with the mouse, or go to the next workspace.

This has only started happening since I switched my default resolution
from 1024x768 to 800x600.

I don't know if there is a configuration to stop this (I've looked), or if
some text file for the few programs that behave this way could be edited.

David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCSI module
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:21:07 GMT

Thanks for your advice, I had already actually done all of the config
which you mentioned, but had no joy, hence the post. Kind of ran out of
ideas now.....

Mark.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I have recently upgraded a redhat system from 2.2.12 to 2.2.16 and
can
> > no longer load the SCSI disk controller card's driver as a module.
The

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Star office license problem
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:11:06 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, "sllai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I wouyld like to install Star Office windows version in my office, can
>somebody advise me on the license issue.

I think StarOffice is free for everyone now, regardless of whether or
not the use is commercial (or "for profit").

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: "Edwin Boersma" <edwin@*REMOVE*4legs.nl>
Subject: Re: SUSE 6.3 (or *.4?) --ran out of input data :-(
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:35:23 +0200

Hello Ioannis,

Looks like your kernel has been f***ed up. If you don't have a working
kernel in your lilo, than I assume you have a big problem. Make a boot disk,
boot the machine from disk and try and repair the kernel. Should work.

Good luck,

Edwin

Ioannis Thavoris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Edwin Boersma" <edwin@*REMOVE*4legs.nl>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie,nl.comp.os.linux.netwerken,nl.comp.os.linux.overig
Subject: Fetchmail and Exchange
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:42:38 +0200

Hi there,

I hope someone can help with this problem:
We have a Linux server that retrieves mail from a pop-server, using
fetchmail. Fetchmail has to deliver all mail to our Exchange server, using
smtp. Well, the mail actually gets to the Exchange server, but it bounces
because the address  of the receiver gets changed. Example: mail for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is being delivered to [EMAIL PROTECTED], where
etbsrv01 is the Exchange server. So my name disappears from the mail address
and is being replaced by a part of the domain name.

Who has got a clue?

Thanks,
Edwin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: * I found a powerful ftp program....
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:38:07 GMT

On Monday, 03 Jul 2000 16:56:13 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I found a new and powerful FTP program, it is called FTP Now...
> [ ... ]

/methinks you, sir, are a spammer. How many people do you think
care about a shareware (!) FTP client for Windows (!), especially
in the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy?

And, of course, you didn't even crosspost properly, so that we'll
have to read (or at least download) that crap in each and every
comp.os.linux.* group we are subscribed to.

Score adjusted.

Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-  Thomas "ZlatkO" Zajic   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Linux-2.2.16/slrn-0.9.6.2+  -

------------------------------

From: Uncle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: s.n.a.f.u. 1b-i
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:21:33 GMT

Hi everyone.

I'm working on a sysadmin utility
called s.n.a.f.u. (stands for Slippy
Network Admins ofFsck Util) and its
aimed at making the monitoring of logs,
activity, hardware activity, and system
status a little easier for folks doing
a lot of their admining on the cmdline,
not in X.

It also provides quick(er) access
to system confs for editing and system
logs for viewing.  And there are few
extra misc scripts in there as well.

I'm a looking for folks to giveit a
try and maybe some feed back as well.
Anyone interested in it can swing by:
http://www.geekcave.net

s.n.a.f.u. is an open source project
and developer input is welcomed
thankfully.  Comments, suggestion,
code, flames, etc. can be emailed to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Uncle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.geekcave.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver D. Bedford)
Subject: Re: Partitioning of large IDE-Disk
Date: 03 Jul 2000 12:36:09 +0200

CoryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hdc1             1     12484   6291904+   b  Win95 FAT32
> > /dev/hdc2         12485     24968   6291936    b  Win95 FAT32
> > /dev/hdc3         24969     29765   2417688    b  Win95 FAT32
>
> Try changing the partition type to "c" (WIN95 FAT32 (LBA)) and see if
> that helps.  You should be able to see above the 2gb barrier then.

  Thanks for the hint.

> Also, out of curiosity, why are you using that file type?  Do you plan
> to access these partitions from Windows?

  Yes. Do I have to expect problems?

  Regards,
                Oliver

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't make
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:27:45 GMT

Hi,

Installing sources in /tmp, I try to recompile
my kernel with no success.
I get the message:
make: *** No rule to make target 'Config'. Stop.

What is the problem?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Major Easy)
Subject: Re: Install OpenGL on TNT 2
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 18:40:04 GMT

Craig Kelley wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Major Easy) writes:
>
>> I am having many problems installing The OpenGL drivers for a TNT 2
>> card. I downloaded the drivers from the NVidia web site and it
>> refuses to install them saying XFree86 must have a version >= 4.0. I
>> am pretty sure that I have installed XFree86 4.0 so what the hell is
>> wrong?
>
>Did you install XFree86 via RPM?
>
>You probably should, unless you want to dissect the NVIDIA rpm files
>and place them by hand (not too difficult -- perhaps even easier than
>finding a good RPM for XFree86 4...)

No. I couldnt find an RPM for it. Do you know where I might find one?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: dialup connection.............
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:46:45 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:26:50 -0400, "Andrew E. Schulman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> running red hat 6.1, linux refuses to recognize my modem. (56k)
>> i have worn out the red hat linux bible, and nothing works!!
>>
>> any ideas?
>
>Go to http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html to see if you have a
>winmodem.

cannot find it on that website, so i pulled it. here is the specs, can
anyone tell me if it is a winmodem? if useable, how about some
suggestions on drivers, configurations, etc...

specs:
Generic ISA 56k faxmodem with mic, and xtrnal speaker jacks
Texas Insturments chipset
FCC #   H8NTIA-31778-M5-E
MODEL #   FB V1456VQH-X
P/N    91791546

Because of lack of rescourses (ALL of my IRQ's are used) it is set to
PNP IRQ3 PNP for use under win98

please e-mail:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

thanks all!

------------------------------

From: Robin Atwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Xfree86-4.0 and TrueType fonts
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:30:53 +0700

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Eric wrote:
 ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir
>Then changed the appropriote line in XF86Config to point to the new
>fontdirectory.
>
>Section "Files"
>  FontPath "/home/moorse/ttfonts_from_win98"
>EndSection
>
>Starting X crashes with
>  Fatal server error:
>  could not open default font 'fixed'

You need to append your ttfonts directory to the ones specified by default, eg:
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts/"   # copy of c:\windows\fonts

HTH
-Robin.
Robin Atwood, Bangkok, Thailand

"My body is not a temple, it's an amusement park!"

------------------------------

From: "SETI Software" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 6.2 Dual boot Win2000
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:43:19 GMT

Hi
can anyon tell me if it is feasible to install redhat onto an existing
system with windows 2000. I intend to insdtall linux onto a seperate hard
drive, but as it is  a crittical PC, I dont want to take too much of a
chance. I wish to dual boot, but primarily install something like vmware to
run windows 2000.

I have a dual pentium III 450, with 256MB ram, and 2 hard drives, the one
being empty.

Thanks

David

------------------------------

From: NorbertSchmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: XTerminal Keyboard Problem
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:38:58 +0200

Hi,

I've got an HP Entria X-Terminal, which I've set up to be used with a
SUSE Linux 6.4 Server. After a big fight, everything is working fine
except the keyboard has some problems.
All the special keys that need the AltGr-Key beeing pressed like @ and |
are not working.
But when the kdm is started the keys are working e.g. I can type @ or |
into the username field.
After kde is started these keys stop working.
What do I have to do, to get those keys working. They are essential for
bash and email, aren't they.... :-)

Thanks
Norbert
--
Norbert Schmidt
Optische und elektronische Geraete Juelich

Tel: +49 228 9838625
Fax: +49 228 631339

------------------------------

From: "Deon Boshoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache Frontends?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:42:34 +0200

We are looking for Frontends for Apache and free eCommerce software for
Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mtp)
Subject: sorry your X11 server lacks DMPS
Date: 3 Jul 2000 12:02:14 GMT

i just installed mandrake 7.0 (redhat 6.2) and get the following message:
"sorry your X11 server lacks DMPS".  as i am somewhat unfamiliar with linux
(but not micro$oft:-(  ), i have no clue where to even begin looking.

anyone???

------------------------------

From: Alberto BARSELLA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Weird Mandrake7.1/Windows interaction regarding partitions
Date: 03 Jul 2000 14:19:44 +0200

Hi all,
        I already noticed that some problems can arise with win95
extended partitions and Mandrake, but I had a weird problem.
My setup:

hda -> 1.2 gig disk, with a 256Mb win95 primary partition (hda1), rest
       is linux

hdc -> 4.3 gig disk, with a 256Mb win95 primary (hdc1) and 700Mb
       extended (hdc7).

Before install, while using RH 6.2, windows allocated C: for hda1, D:
for hdc1, E: for hdc7 and F: for the ide Zip drive.

After Mandrake installation (I played with the linux partitiond but
didn't touch the dos ones) I have:

C: for hda1, D: for hdc1, ** F: for hdc7 ** and ** E: for the ide Zip
drive**.

I can access all data without problems and everything is fine.
Anyone knows what changes in the partition tables can trigger this
behaviour in windows?

Thanks in advance,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
PGP fingerprint = 13 3F 22 D2 0B 0A D3 25  F1 89 FE B5 82 AD 75 2A

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy Low" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,sg.linux
Subject: Again : Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:41:03 +0800

Hie there

 Really sorry that I am posting it again but you can say that I am really
desparate here and I really am :(

Recently bought a LinkSys Fast Ethernet 10/100 card. Inserted into that
system that runs on Redhat Linux 6.2 and Windows98, complete with 166MMX,
24MB and with Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG

The network card worked out fine in Windows. In Linux, I downloaded the
driver source (tulip.c and kern_compat.h), compiled it with the appropriate
option as specified in tulip.c and copied the object file tulip over to
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/. Next changed the permissions to executable.

Next did "depmod -a" followed by "modprobe tulip.o" I was issued a :

tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I also edited /etc/lilo.conf to look like this

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt

other=/dev/hda1
 label=Windows
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
 label=Linux
 read-only
 root=/dev/hda3
 append="ether=9,0x6000"

I issued "lilo"  and edited my /etc/conf.modules file to look like this :

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias sound-slot-0 es1370
alias eth0 tulip
options eth0 io=0x6000-0x60FF irq=11
*similar to the settings in Windows and output of "cat /proc/pci"

then restarted the system and did "dmesg | grep eth0 -" and was shown
nothing. Knowing that my LinkSys card is still not being seen by the system,
I checked by doing "lsmod" and was given :

Module                  Size  Used by
nfs                    29152   1  (autoclean)
autofs                  9476   1  (autoclean)
lockd                  31592   1  (autoclean) [nfs]
sunrpc                 53540   1  (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
nls_iso8859-1           2240   4  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3748   4  (autoclean)
vfat                    9500   4  (autoclean)
fat                    31168   4  (autoclean) [vfat]
es1370                 22484   0
soundcore               2692   4  [es1370]

True enough, the tulip driver was not loaded. I then tried to manually load
it by doing "insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net tulip.o" but was given a :
tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I then did "cat /proc/pci" and got :

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel 82437 (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel 82371FB PIIX ISA (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel 82371FB PIIX IDE (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
      I/O at 0x3000 [0x3001].
  Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
      Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
      I/O at 0x6000 [0x6001].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4000000].
  Bus  0, device  19, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 0).
      Slow devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=12.Max
Lat=128.
      I/O at 0x6100 [0x6101].
  Bus  0, device  20, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE (rev 6).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max
Lat=255.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000000].

Doing "cat /proc/interrupts" returned :

           CPU0
  0:      25561          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        454          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:        280          XT-PIC  serial
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:          0          XT-PIC  es1370
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      78912          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          5          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

Still no ethernet card. Looks like it gonna be a long and sad story :( Any
ideas ???

------------------------------

From: "mpl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:28:56 GMT

Hi there,

I have aborted a RH 6.2 install on one of my drives but cannot get
rid of LILO. It keeps asking on boot which OS I want to boot. Any
choice obviously fails.

I have a Fugitsu MPE3136AT drive.

Cannot find any low level formatting tools.

Help.

Thanks,

Mike L     :-)

------------------------------

From: Joe Chiasson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:27:25 GMT

If LILO was installed in your master boot record for your Windows partition,
boot to Windows from a floppy and run fdisk /mbr.

------------------------------

From: "PositiveG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP install of RH 6.2??
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:37:42 -0400

x-no-archive: yes
news:395fd370$0$8313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >What files do you need stored on an FTP server so that you can install
> >RedHat 6.2 via it?
> >
> >I'd like to know the directories & files required.
> >
> >I've got a machine with RH 6.0 (no CD) and want to upgrade.   I have a
2nd
> >machine that I can use as a FTP server (Win98).
>
> If you can, set your Windows FTP server to just look to the CD as it's
root
> ftp folder.

That's the problem I have, I don't own the 6.2 CD, I've got a 6.0 CD.

So I need to know what files on the 6.2 CD to put on the root of the FTP
server.   I guess I could download the whole CD tree, that should do it!

------------------------------

From: "Tozz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie,nl.comp.os.linux.netwerken,nl.comp.os.linux.overig
Subject: Re: Fetchmail and Exchange
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:22:32 +0200

Eej

> I hope someone can help with this problem:
> We have a Linux server that retrieves mail from a pop-server, using
> fetchmail. Fetchmail has to deliver all mail to our Exchange server, using
> smtp. Well, the mail actually gets to the Exchange server, but it bounces
> because the address  of the receiver gets changed. Example: mail for
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] is being delivered to [EMAIL PROTECTED], where
> etbsrv01 is the Exchange server. So my name disappears from the mail
address
> and is being replaced by a part of the domain name.

Fetchmail veranderd dit niet ofzo, dus je moet bij je Exchange server
zijn....

Bye
Tozz

--
  1:22pm  up 71 days, 22:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
Visit H4H: http://www.hackers4hackers.org

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest