From: Sean Daugherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: STB Desktop TV Help...
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 01:06:14 -0400

I have been trying to configure bttv to correctly use my STB Desktop TV T=
V/FM
card. So far, I have been able to get the thing to work... sort of. The i=
mage
works fine, but I can't get the sound to work. It detects the audio chip
TDA9850, and I think this is correct (having looked at the card... I may =
be
wrong here, since I wasn't 100% sure what I was looking for).

The card was packaged in with my system (a Dell DImension XPS T500, if th=
at
means anything to anyone) and seems to be working fine under Windows. The=
 video
drivers are compiled as modules for the 2.2.16 kernel, under Red Hat Linu=
x 6.2.
I do hope this is the right place to ask... if not, forgive me, and any h=
elp in
directing to me to the right place would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Apache -> How to change file name size in dir listing
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 05:43:37 GMT

Use
  IndexOptions NameWidth=n
or
  IndexOptions NameWidth=*

The first one sets the number of characters to list.  The 2nd one tells Apache
to set the length to match the longest filename.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Marais" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corel Linux hanags on logout
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:09:36 +0200

Hi All

My Corel Linux (running on an old pentium 233) hangs dead whenever I logout.
Reboot from a command line works fine. has anyone seen this ? Any
suggestions will be much appreciated. Please email.

Thanks

Charles

--
======================
Charles Marais

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward A. Falk)
Subject: Re: redhat 6.2 is really slow
Date: 3 Jul 2000 06:49:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I have 6.2/Gnome on 64M, and it flies.
>>

>PS -- That's on a P166 with 4M S3-Virge. But I think that card is pretty
>well supported.

I have a Sony Vaio 707c (P166, 32M memory, generic framebuffer) and it
also runs just fine under RH 6.2 which I installed just today.

I did have some *other* problems, which I'll write about in another post.

--
-ed falk, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  See *********************#*************#*
http://www.rahul.net/falk/whatToDo.html    #**************F******!******!*!!****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Subject: Re: Why is my harddisk so slow?
Date: 3 Jul 2000 00:58:19 GMT

>I've tried lots and lots of settings, none of them seem to make any
>difference...

You've probbly tried, but when I recently optimised my harddisc system I
tried benchmarks using various transfer modes;

Standard FPIO4
DMA 2
UDMA 2
etc

The chipset and hdd were both UDMA capable but UDMA gave the same speed as
FPIO, for various modes, both at 2x as slow as DMA mode 2.

The only other thing I can think of is, which transfer mode does your BIOS
say it is using (Mine has the options of FPIO1 up to FPIO4/DMA2, but I'm not
sure if Linux even takes any notice of this).

It sure is puzzling.

Frinky

------------------------------

From: Homer Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Modem Question
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:01:52 GMT

> I've successfully installed SuSE 6.4; all's well, as far as it
> goes.  I have a Winmodem on my Celeron 333 computer and thus am
> unable to connect to the 'net.  How, exactly, do I proceed to
> uninstall and reinstall a modem able to connect under Linux? Will
> I need to reinstall SuSE once I add a new modem?   Also, any
> recommendations for a good Linux modem?  I've been looking at the
> ActionTec 56k Call-Waiting model, internal.  Any advantage to
> going for an external model?  TIA!

To uninstall you winmodem: shutdown your computer, remove the
winmodem, find a suitable place for the winmodem (like in the
garbage or a yardsale). Winmodems hit the CPU anyway.

You can use pretty much any real modem with linux, or so says the
linux HCL. I bought a A/Open 56K something-or-other. The directions
were in that maddening winhelp format, so I had to download a program
to decompile them: helpdeco. That was probably unecessary since the
jumper settings on that ISA modem were printed on the card's backside,
which was nice. So, select a good modem, with faxing if you want it,
and with instructions and info in a format you can read.

The advantage of an external modem are that you get to see the purty
lights and it does not drain the power supply. This is not really
that good an argument for an external, but I guess you also can move
it between machines with ease. You do _not_ need to reinstall SuSE.
Last, run your favorite configuration tool to setup the modem.

From: Homer Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure Motorola ModemSurf 56K
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:11:21 GMT

> I have a Pentium 3 computer with dual boot, Window 98 & Linux-Mandrake 7.0.
> The computer reconized the serial port, com3 at 0x3E8 (no irq info), but not
> the modem itself. From a book, it's suggested to add a couple of line to
> RC.SERIAL to account for IRQ and ports if they are non-standard. I believe
> my modem is not a WinModem and it should work with Linux. This modem is set
> at IRQ 5 for window application.

You can try the setserial command. Start with `man setserail'. Your
machine has a PCI bus and so can probably use the autoprobe option.
Since your serial port is automatically recognized, you can relax on
that. I wonder if your modem isn't actually configured already? Can
you use minicom to send commands, such as `AT', to your modem and get
back "OK"? If not, try using `/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5' at the
end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

From: Homer Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: after i add memory do i need to increase swap space.
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:32:55 GMT

>     I have Mandrake 6.5 running on my m/c (400Mhz 686) and i have 32M of
>
> RAM.
>     I have ordered another 128M because KDE + Netscape just don't work
> well in 32M RAM space.
>
>     During initial setup i had 64M swap space reserved. So now do i have
>
> to add 320M (2 X RAM)
>     as swap space and if yes how do i accomplish this. or how much
> should i have.

There is no easy answer to your question. However, you should check
out the "Partition" mini howto. It gives good advice on selecting a
size for your swap partition in section 3.2. Here are some excerpts:
  ·  When sizing your swap space, you should have at least 16 MB of
     total virtual memory. So for 4 MB of RAM consider at least 12 MB of
     swap, for 8 MB of RAM consider at least 8 MB of swap.
  ·  When sizing swap space, keep in mind that too much swap space may
     not be useful at all.
     A very old rule of thumb in the days of the PDP and the Vax was
     that the size of the working set of a program is about 25% of its
     virtual size. Thus it is probably useless to provide more swap than
     three times your RAM.

     But keep in mind that this is just a rule of thumb. It is easily
     possible to create scenarios where programs have extremely large or
     extremely small working sets. For example, a simulation program
     with a large data set that is accessed in a very random fashion
     would have almost no noticeable locality of reference in its data
     segment, so its working set would be quite large.

     On the other hand, an xv with many simultaneously opened JPEGs, all
     but one iconified, would have a very large data segment. But image
     transformations are all done on one single image, most of the
     memory occupied by xv is never touched.  The same is true for an
     editor with many editor windows where only one window is being
     modified at a time.  These programs have - if they are designed
     properly - a very high locality of reference and large parts of
     them can be kept swapped out without too severe performance impact.

     One could suspect that the 25% number from the age of the command
     line is no longer true for modern GUI programs editing multiple
     documents, but I know of no newer papers that try to verify these
     numbers.

  So for a configuration with 16 MB RAM, no swap is needed for a minimal
  configuration and more than 48 MB of swap are probably useless. The
  exact amount of memory needed depends on the application mix on the
  machine (what did you expect?).
     So if you have a disk with many heads and one with less heads and
     both are identical in other parameters, the disk with many heads
     will be faster.

     Splitting swap and putting it on both disks will be even faster,
     though.
  ·  Newer disks use ZBR (zone bit recording). They have more sectors on
     the outer tracks. With a constant number of rpms, this yields a far
     greater performance on the outer tracks than on the inner ones. Put
     your swap on the fast tracks.
  doing other things. If you have multiple disks: Split swap and scatter
  it over all your disks or even different controllers.

'Nuff said.

From: "Theodore J. Mooney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't get my modem to work still
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 03:01:11 -0500

   I installed Storm Linux 2000 Rain edition.
   I am using a Jaton 56k internal modem (NOT a Winmodem).
   Using SAT, I tried to have Dial-Up Networking detect my
modem. It puts up a little window saying "Dialup Status"
that I can't get rid of and just sits there.
   The modem was configured as Plug 'N' Play, so I took it out
and changed the jumpers so it's hardwired to use COM 2, IRQ 3.
   SAT still won't autodetect it. Any suggestions?

The views, opinions, or statements stated above or below
are not necessarily those of the poster. So there! Nyah!

---

"Keyboard? How quaint!" - Scotty

------------------------------

From: "Theodore J. Mooney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get my modem to work still
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 03:03:54 -0500

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I disabled COM 2 in the BIOS after
I changed the jumpers on the modem to use COM 2, IRQ 3.

The views, opinions, or statements stated above or below
are not necessarily those of the poster. So there! Nyah!

---

"Keyboard? How quaint!" - Scotty

news:39604874$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Malka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the best distribution of Linux?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 04:28:43 -0400

This is a Linux newbie wanting to install Linux on a Pentium Pro 200 to
learn Linux.

There is a new Mandrake 7.1  Does anyone know if it installs etc as easily
as the 7.o has a reputation of doing?

Also I read that Mandrake is a version of RH, others are versions of Debian,
etc.  Can some list which are versions of which?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Yns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Aleksandar Antok wrote:
> >
> > What is the best distribution of Linux?Please help me!!
> >

> See  http://www.linux.org/dist/english.html  for a summary
> of distributions.
>
> The best distro would depend on your machine spec - if you
> only have 200 MB to spare then maybe Redhat or Mandrake
> is not for you.
>
> Personally I've tried RedHat6.2 and Mandrake 7.0 and I've
> stuck with RH since mandrake is more suited to high-speed
> pentiums (it ran slowly on my machine).
>
> Also see the linux faq at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/
>
> Have fun.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xfree86-4.0 and TrueType fonts
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:01:31 GMT

Hi there,

I've been trying for some time to use the fonts from win98 in X, but
failed over and over again in achieving this. I copied all the fonts
from the windows fontdir to a new font directory because I didn't want
to mess in the win98 FS, win98 has problems enough of it's own without
me messing there :-)
I then entered
  ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir
Then changed the appropriote line in XF86Config to point to the new
fontdirectory.

Section "Files"
  FontPath "/home/moorse/ttfonts_from_win98"
EndSection

Starting X crashes with
  Fatal server error:
  could not open default font 'fixed'

There are no other pointers to font errors in the log

So then I tried loading the freetype module in the modules section, to
no avail (saw this mentioned in some previous post)

Does anyone have an idea on how to use the win98 fonts in X??

Eric
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

BTW if I give a non-existing fontpath, X starts and uses the fonts that
it found the last time it did startup?  How can it find these fonts if I
didn't supply the path to them???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesper Krogh)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:32:59 GMT

> There is a new Mandrake 7.1  Does anyone know if it installs etc as easily
> as the 7.o has a reputation of doing?

The Mandrake Distribution is compiled for pentium processors. So youŽll
have to have this. And yes it is very easily installed. Some people claim
it for being buggy !!!
Main features:
postfix
ReiserFS
XFree86 v4.0

But this question is almost a matter of religion :-)

--
/Jesper Krogh
Student at DTU Denmark.

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get modem detected
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 01:48:19 -0700

Here are the defaults:
Com1 uses IRQ 4
Com2 uses IRQ 3
The soundcard uses IRQ5
Doesn't windows give an explaination point
(start->settings->control-panel->system) when it see that Com3 and the
Sound Card are using the same IRQ?
Do you have an old BBS number to dial up?
Try using minicom to see if the modem works with the Com3 port (/dev/ttyS2)
and IRQ5

------------------------------

From: "sllai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Star office license problem
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:58:26 +0800

Dear All

I wouyld like to install Star Office windows version in my office, can
somebody advise me on the license issue.
Can I install it freely for my daily working purpose.

Thanks
sllai

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest