From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Adams)
Subject: Re: Newbie Modem Question
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:11:36 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:01:52 GMT, Homer Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> I've successfully installed SuSE 6.4; all's well, as far as it
>> goes.  I have a Winmodem on my Celeron 333 computer and thus am
>> unable to connect to the 'net.  How, exactly, do I proceed to
>> uninstall and reinstall a modem able to connect under Linux? Will
>> I need to reinstall SuSE once I add a new modem?   Also, any
>> recommendations for a good Linux modem?  I've been looking at the
>> ActionTec 56k Call-Waiting model, internal.  Any advantage to
>> going for an external model?  TIA!
>

>The advantage of an external modem are that you get to see the purty
>lights and it does not drain the power supply. This is not really
>that good an argument for an external, but I guess you also can move
>it between machines with ease. You do _not_ need to reinstall SuSE.
>Last, run your favorite configuration tool to setup the modem.

There is another advantage to the external modem....  I have had
conditions where due to minor software problems, the modem did not
initialize correctly.   With an external modem, I was able to power
down/up the modem, and initialization took place without further
problems.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Steve Emmett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Wrong major/minor number
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:18:03 -0500

"Andrew E. Schulman" wrote:

> > Just tried it and am still getting the major/minor number error.
> >
> > If you have any trouble shooting suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing.
> >
> > Thanks

> > > rm /dev/fd0
> > > MAKEDEV fd0
>
> Hm, so maybe the problem isn't really the major/minor device numbers.
> On my system /dev/fd0 is major 2, minor 0.  Check this by 'ls -l
> /dev/fd0'.  You should get something like
>
> brw-rw----  root      root     2,    0  /dev/fd0

Yup, I'm major 2, minor 0

> So if that's correct, then try Equinox' suggestion for making sure the
> modules are loaded.
>
> If that fails, then there are probably other things to try, but what's
> worked for me in the past is to rebuild the kernel.  I had a floppy
> drive that worked fine under Windows but never did work under Linux
> (drive light came on, but I never could mount anything).  Finally I
> rebuilt my kernel and the problem disappeared.

The floppy has been nice to me till yesterday.  I obviously did something to
screw it, but can't recall what that might have been.

Thanks for the help Andrew

--

Steve

              Steve Emmett
"A mind that is stretched to a new idea
 never returns to its original dimension"

------------------------------

From: Cyril CADENEL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DAT under Linux
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:19:00 +0200

My dat is recognized by linux, but the system return IO error when i try
to access my DAT Tape.
I'm using a Red Hat 6.1 with a 2.2.12-20 kernel version.
Thanks for the Help

------------------------------

From: Steve Emmett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:20:29 -0500

Equinox wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:06:01 -0500, Steve Emmett
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > when I execute
> >
> > mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> >
> > i received the error
> >
> > mount:  /dev/fd0 has wrong major or minor number.
> >
> > I'm assuming I've munged the floppy device and have to use MAKEDEV to
> > reconstruct it.  The question is how do I go about doing just that?
>
> That would be the obvious conclusion.  Though, I've also seen this
> error when the drivers for the floppy drive and/or filesystem are
> compiled as modules, and are not loaded.  Try this:
>
>    modprobe floppy.o

Ah ha!  the probe can't find the module.  Let me go back and see whats
happened because I DID rebuild the kernel a couple of days ago

From: "Sean Dynan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.2 Dual boot Win2000
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:29:12 +0100

Yup - I dual-boot both my system at home and my system in work:

Home config: Win2000 on disk 1, partition 1 - Redhat 6.2 on disk 2,
partition 2
Work config: Win2000 on disk 1, partition 1 - Redhat 6.2 on disk 1,
partition 2

In both cases I use LILO to boot into either Linux or Windows.  In both
cases Win2000 was installed before Linux.

My home config uses FAT32 for all non-Linux partitions and my Linux
installation can mount them rwx no problem.  FWIW, my work config uses NTFS5
for the Win2000 partition.

--Sean.

news:r%_75.6412$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Silly Rabbit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intial setup of RH 6.2
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:38:07 -0500

I am totally new to RH 6.2 Linux and finally got through the partition and
install of server type install.  I installed from an iso image that I d/l
from redhat.  Lilo loads and I can boot to Win98 and Linux.  When going to
linux I get though the login by using the user name and pw and sit looking
stupid at a command prompt.  I have no idea if xwindow was installed or what
I should do to get it started.  As far as that goes, I don't even know how
to change drives or look at files.  No real reason to use Linux other than
logging into my system from work to use my @home service and just see what
Linux is all about.  Reading some of the post, I see that I need to type
xconfiguration after logging in to the root instead of login in as a user.
Also I see that maybe I need to mount my cd-rom drive.  Not sure, but it
looks like it is set up when Linux is booting.  At least it sees it and has
a few lines showing it during the boot.   I've tried looking at web sight
for info, but I quickly get lost.  Is there a faq or sight for newbies to
help get me where I want to be?

Silly Rabbit

------------------------------

From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disk management
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:38:43 +0200

Which tools, I prefer from the command prompt, can I use for disk
managemant, that is to view the size of the disk and the space available ?

And is it (and how) possible to change the /usr/ partition ?

Regards,
Ed Bras

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fetchmail and Exchange
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:47:02 GMT

"Edwin Boersma" <edwin@*REMOVE*4legs.nl> wrote in message
news:8jpn6a$7qp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi there,
>
> I hope someone can help with this problem:
> We have a Linux server that retrieves mail from a pop-server, using
> fetchmail. Fetchmail has to deliver all mail to our Exchange server, using
> smtp. Well, the mail actually gets to the Exchange server, but it bounces
> because the address  of the receiver gets changed. Example: mail for
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] is being delivered to [EMAIL PROTECTED], where
> etbsrv01 is the Exchange server. So my name disappears from the mail
address
> and is being replaced by a part of the domain name.
>
> Who has got a clue?
>

> Thanks,
> Edwin

Fetchmail "by default" hands off all retrieved e-mail to sendmail. You must
have sendmail configured to add the FQDN to your e-mail address by either
using a .forward file or an alias defined in /etc/aliases. If you must
continue using this alias, you will need to add the FQDN alias to your
exchange server mailbox settings so that it knows to accept e-mail for this
address.

If you want to disable fetchmail from handing off all "fetched" e-mail to
sendmail... use the "smtphost" directive in your .fetchmailrc file. This
will, in essence, open an SMTP connection straight to your Exchange server
for final delivery. Thus leaving the e-mail envelope (headers) intact.

The following is my .fetchmailrc file. The smtphost entry is my internal
Exchange server. The "set invisible" eliminates the fetchmail server from
adding itself to the e-mail headers as one of the "hops" this e-mail took on
its path to its final destination.

Steve Cowles

=======================================
set syslog
set postmaster "scowles"
set bouncemail
set properties ""
set invisible
poll mail.myisp.net with proto POP3 timeout 60
   user "swcowles" there with password "my-password" is scowles here
   smtphost  ms-exchange.mydomain.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesper Krogh)
Subject: Re: Disk management
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:49:50 GMT

> Which tools, I prefer from the command prompt, can I use for disk
> managemant, that is to view the size of the disk and the space available ?

df

> And is it (and how) possible to change the /usr/ partition ?

There is a tool:
ftp://ftp.powerquest.com/pub/utilities/resize2fs.rpm
This should do it.

--
/Jesper Krogh
Student at DTU Denmark.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Telnet not starting on RH 6.2
From: Randy Mullican <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:54:30 GMT

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:56:30 GMT
> Subject: Re: Telnet not starting on RH 6.2
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Randy Mullican
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am try to get telnet working on a RH 6.2 machine.
>> I have done a custom install of RH 6.2, verified that the telnet client
>> and server packages are installed, checked my hosts.allow file,
>> verified that the inetd will start and run.
>> Here is the problem with the telnet line uncommented inetd will not
>> start, and places the following in /var/log/messages:
>> inetd[468]: telnet: too many arguments, max 20.
>> I have tried searching all the archives I can think of and have found no
>> help.
>
> Could you post that line from your /etc/inetd.conf file?

Here is the line:
telnet  stream  tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd

I have this line in other box and it is working ok. Did I miss something
doing a custom install.

Thank you for your help

------------------------------

From: Ignacio Valdes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: You have mail, when I don't.
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:38:48 -0500

Hello all,

When I send an e-mail to a localuser, the e-mail comes across and can be
read using Pine. However, the 'You have mail' message that comes up when
you log in doesn't ever go away. You can bring up Pine and look for new
messages and nothing is there. What gives?

-- IV

------------------------------

From: "pbo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: erreur GCC
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:22:04 +0200

Bonjour,
 Que signifie l'erreur suivante (lorsque je tape gcc )

BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so : dynamic-link.h 57 : elf_get_dynamic_info :
assertion ' "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

d'avance merci

------------------------------

From: "sancho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows 2000 & Linux
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 00:27:12 +1000

Hi,

Has anyone installed Linux with Windows 2000 on a different partition?
I have Windows 98 on my C: drive and Windows 2000 on my F: drive.  I
would like to delete Win98 and install Linux there.  My understanding is
with NT loader is that it takes control of the MBR which is on the first
disk.  If I install Linux on the first disk, will it overwrite the MBR that
contains Win2000 loader?  I don't see any boot.ini files in Win2000 so
I'm sure what to expect here.  Has anyone experienced this yet?

Thanks for the help.

sancho

------------------------------

From: Stefan Hundhammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: XTerminal Keyboard Problem
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:24:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an HP Entria X-Terminal, which I've set up to be used with a
> SUSE Linux 6.4 Server. After a big fight, everything is working fine
> except the keyboard has some problems.
> All the special keys that need the AltGr-Key beeing pressed like @ and
|
> are not working.
> But when the kdm is started the keys are working e.g. I can type @ or
|
> into the username field.
> After kde is started these keys stop working.
> What do I have to do, to get those keys working. They are essential
for
> bash and email, aren't they.... :-)

Try experimenting with "xmodmap" - it's not very much fun, but this
allows you to remap keys as you like.

Kind regards
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh AT suse DOT de>
SuSE Labs

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xfree86-4.0 and TrueType fonts
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:48:32 GMT

Robin Atwood wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Eric wrote:
>  ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir
> >Then changed the appropriote line in XF86Config to point to the new
> >fontdirectory.
> >
> >Section "Files"
> >  FontPath "/home/moorse/ttfonts_from_win98"
> >EndSection
> >
> >Starting X crashes with
> >  Fatal server error:
> >  could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> You need to append your ttfonts directory to the ones specified by default, eg:
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts/"   # copy of c:\windows\fonts
>
> HTH
> -Robin.
> --
> Robin Atwood, Bangkok, Thailand
>
> "My body is not a temple, it's an amusement park!"

Thanks :-), so if I understand you correctly, the TT fonts cannot be the
only fonts specified. I'll give it a try when I'm home, and see if I can
use the new fonts.

Eric

------------------------------

From: NorbertSchmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:39:28 +0200

Hallo,
ich habe das Problem weiter eingegrenzt. In allen nativen KDE Programmen
habe ich kein Problem mehr, also scheint mein rumbasteln mit xmodmap (ja
es ist quälerei) geholfen zu haben. In xterm und Konsole-sitzungen unter
KDE habe ich jedoch immer noch kein Pipe und at....

Any more hints???

Gruß Norbert

--
Norbert Schmidt
Optische und elektronische Geraete Juelich

Tel: +49 228 9838625
Fax: +49 228 631339

------------------------------

From: "John Doe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,alt.games.3dfx,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Voodoo 3 on Redhat 6.2 - Need RPM
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:58:24 GMT

I have Red Hat Linux 6.2 connected to my Vibe connection (works Beautifully)
but I cant get the RPM's for my Voodoo 3 2000. linux.3dfx.com is down so I
am S.O.L. Does any one have the RPM's?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How could I share resources in Linux ?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:58:53 GMT

I have two computers, both equipped with Ethernet card and having Linux as
operative system. I don’t know how could I make my own little network ?

Could I use some random IP number and name server ?
How could I share the resources in my computer ?

Thanks in advance  Robert

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You have mail, when I don't.
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:07:46 GMT

On Jul 3, 2000 at 08:38, Ignacio Valdes eloquently wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>When I send an e-mail to a localuser, the e-mail comes across and can be
>read using Pine. However, the 'You have mail' message that comes up when
>you log in doesn't ever go away. You can bring up Pine and look for new
>messages and nothing is there. What gives?
Take a look at /var/spool/mail/<user>. You'll find
the reason there.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
BOFH excuse #193:

Did you pay the new Support Fee?
 11:06am  up 5 days,  4:23,  7 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.09

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest