Linux-Setup Digest #48, Volume #20               Thu, 16 Nov 00 00:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Help... X Windows runs at a crawl.. Be my mentor,, Please
  Problem booting from Red Hat 7.0 ISO ("Santosh Kumar")
  Re: vfat 2.2.14 kernel module (Douglas du Boulay)
  Scanner card ("Anton Vorster")
  Redhat FTP slow on local lan ("Tommy Martin")
  PC to PC network question (Greg Tomalesky)
  Re: Reverse of RAWRITE.EXE ?
  Old School ("Fireman (Nuclear Field) Gilt")
  Re: Can somebody tell me how to partition my Harddrive. ("Raajah")
  Re: Reverse of RAWRITE.EXE ? (cfish)
  Re: LAN ethernet networking help needed (cfish)
  Re: Installing linux on Compaq Presario 1200 XL110 (cfish)
  Cable/WAN DNS Problems ("Nate Fitch")
  Re: setting up x on a notebook (TopQuark)
  Re: installing Win98 after the fact (cfish)
  Re: Laptop won't boot after upgrade (cfish)
  Re: Old School ("Dusty Dew")
  Looking for a distro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Creating PDF (acrobat) files ? (Rod Smith)
  Re: Linux Redhat 6.2 install...Need Help .. Urgent (Cliff Sarginson)
  Re: vfat 2.2.14 kernel module (Cliff Sarginson)
  Re: can't print on redhat 7 (Cliff Sarginson)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help... X Windows runs at a crawl.. Be my mentor,, Please
Date: 16 Nov 2000 01:03:41 GMT

>       Also, I installed a new 'microcrap wheelmouse' on my box lately.
> I found out how to set it up using 'mouseconfig'. It works on the
> console, but not in 'X'. It jumps around the screen and acts like it
> was on coke or something. DOes anybody know what's up with this ? I
> don't care about if the wheel works, I just want to get my fucking
> mouse working so I don't have to quit X windows every time.

You can also try the xset command:
xset m 5 2

should give a more manageble mouse speed.
the first number is the acceleration value
and the second is the threshold.
"m" is mouse

-Kyle

------------------------------

From: "Santosh Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem booting from Red Hat 7.0 ISO
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:48:05 -0800

I am able to boot from the Red Hat 6.2 ISO without any problems.

The official Red Hat 7.0 ISO is a different story...

It attempts boot from the CD... but the screen remains blank for several
minutes while the CD-ROM light stays on until finally I get a message saying
"boot failed."  I've tried multiple
ftp sites' "7.0-i386-respin-disc1.iso"

Anyone else experienc this? Any suggestions on how to get it to boot from
the CD properly?

Thanks
Santosh Kumar

------------------------------

From: Douglas du Boulay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vfat 2.2.14 kernel module
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:56:24 +0800

Eric wrote:

> Douglas du Boulay wrote:
> >
> > working with a debian potato system with kernel 2.2.14
> > fdisk:
> >
> > Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 781 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1   *         1       520   2096608+   6  FAT16

> You have absolutely no idea what a filesystem is, do you?

I thought it was likely to be
an NTFS file system, given its running MS NT, But I have no
clear idea of the history of the drive and since fdisk clearly
said it was FAT16 I assumed it would be correct and that NT was
installed on a FAT16 filesystem. Consequently all I could guess at
was that the ntfs kernel module was clever enough to know what to do
with a FAT16 as well as NTFS.

So there you go fdisk lied.

> You didn't read the documentation that comes with it.

Read the manual? They're always out of date anyway.

> No, not for NTFS (Microsoft isn't very helpful in giving free the NTFS
> specs I suppose, and reverse engineering isn't easy. At this moment I
> don't think anyone is working on it, so use FAT as your windows FS or be
> left without write support to it from linux.

Thanks for the low down Eric. I guess I will be living without.

Doug

------------------------------

From: "Anton Vorster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner card
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:06:00 +0200

Has anybody successfully installed a scanner using the infamous NCR/SYSBIOS
53C400A controller card?  I'm trying to get my Mustek MFC-600S to work with
Mandrake 7.2 and sane.  I believe some HP Scanjets use the same card.  If
you've had success, please let me know how you did it!

------------------------------

From: "Tommy Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat FTP slow on local lan
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:29:15 -0600

Any ideas why it takes me about 1 min to connect to my RH 6.2 ftp server on
my linux box?

I have the resolv.conf file setup. Telnet is instant connection but ftp is
not.

--

Tommy Martin

------------------------------

From: Greg Tomalesky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PC to PC network question
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:56:39 GMT

Hi gang:

    I have two PC's at home both running RH6.1. Both have NICs which I
am able to configure with ifconfig. The following is the output from
/sbin/ifconfig from both PCs:

PC #1

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:21:EC:8D
          inet addr:63.74.134.11  Bcast:63.74.134.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

PC # 2

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:F6:8A:0D
          inet addr:63.74.134.10  Bcast:63.74.134.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x6000

    I can ping each inet address on the respective PC but not to the
other. If I try to telnet from PC #1 to PC #2 I get the following error:

    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

    I checked the route tables and PC #1 looks like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
63.74.134.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo

PC #2

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
63.74.134.10     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   UH     0      0
0 eth0
63.74.134.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo

    Finally, The PCs are connected with an RJ45 cable with the transmit
& recieve wires swapped (null modem?). If anyone out there has any clue
as to what I am doing wrong please e-mail me.

Thanks
Greg

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reverse of RAWRITE.EXE ?
Date: 16 Nov 2000 03:17:54 GMT

You can do this from Linux with the "dd" command. Or were you
looking for a DOS program? I had such a DOS program years ago
but don't recall what it was. If you can use "dd", that's fine
if you need DOS, reply to me by mail.

-- Gene Wiggins
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Fireman (Nuclear Field) Gilt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Old School
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:19:21 GMT

I just got a new (old) computer; it looks like what they normally used
in offices about 4-5 years ago, it's pretty nice. My question is would
it be possible to install Linux on that bad boy. It has 2 processors; I
don't know if that means anything or not... I've installed Linux on
many-a-PC, but not a former windows NT machine.

Also, what would be a good distribution? I wanted one with a lot of
packages, and one that'd help me accomplish my main goal here: squeezing
every penny out of "unlimited use." SuSE is pretty cool but I don't like
the script-based startup. Slackware is probably my favorite, but I
always have problems with the libraries. I'm kind of iffy about Redhat
because........ it's gay-yyyyy......

but I can change. Any advice would be appreciated,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Raajah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can somebody tell me how to partition my Harddrive.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:12:21 GMT

Use Partition Magic 6.0.  (Free upgrade from Power Quest if you bought a
previous version in the last 60 days).

news:ewzQ5.6305$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: cfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:31:48 GMT

dd

------------------------------

From: cfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LAN ethernet networking help needed
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:37:08 GMT

next you do two things, ifconfig and route. see HOWTOs and man pages
before posting anything else.

------------------------------

From: cfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing linux on Compaq Presario 1200 XL110
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:44:44 GMT

if the person who posted the XF86Config file has exactly the same
laptop, it might be that your version of X is too old that the video
chipset on it is not supported. in that case you can upgrade to the
later version and try again.

------------------------------

From: "Nate Fitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cable/WAN DNS Problems
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:57:19 GMT

    I'm running RedHat 7.0 and I'm currently a subscriber of the @Home
network.  I'm using a 3Com 3C509x NIC.  I have been issued a static IP
address, and I'm trying to configure my networking so everything will
function properly.  My IP is 24.181.137.185 and the default gateway is
24.181.137.1 - in Windows they set my machine up to be a DHCP client (even
though I have a static IP, I don't understand that) and they didn't specify
and DNS servers at all.  I asked them what the DNS servers are, and the
tech. supp. people didn't even know.  Is DNS something that is handled by
the WAN or something?  Basically, my question is, when prompted for my DNS
servers in Linux, should I leave them blank, and if I do... will I be able
to resolve names?  Second, since my Windows box was set up to obtain IP
addresses automatically, should I set my Linux box up to be a DHCP client
despite having a static IP address?

-Nate Fitch

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TopQuark)
Subject: Re: setting up x on a notebook
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:57:38 GMT

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:24:01 +0000, Thorsten Gutermuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> TopQuark wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:22:19 +0000, Thorsten Gutermuth
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > I use Suse 6.3(2.2.13) on a notebook. I frist tried to setup X using
> > > sax, which resulted in to red lines on my screen. Then I read the x and
> > > notebook howto and ran a tool called SuperProbe, which gave me the
> > > specification of my graphic card:
> > > SuperProbe Version 2.21 (1999 September 9)...
> > > First video: Super-VGA
> > >       Chipset: Trident Cyber9385 (PCI Probed)
> > >       Memory:  2048 Kbytes
> > >       RAMDAC:  Trident Built-In 15/16/24-bit DAC
> > >                (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
> > [snip]
> > > (--) SVGA: videoram: 64k
> >
> > That's likely your problem.
> Hi!
> Sorry, but I don't understand. Using Win 98 I get a 800x600 resolution
> and a color depth of 24bit. So you certainly are not trying to tell me
> that I can't get x running at all. Do you??

No, I'm just pointing out why (or one of the reasons why) X is
failing.

I don't know your hardware; is that some new-fangled video shares RAM
with main RAM thing?  Have you looked at Harker's Linux on Laptop stuff?

And, note the Superprobe listing says you have 2048 Kbytes.  What's
the memory setting in your /etc/XF86Config ?

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] Give up Spammers; I use procmail.

------------------------------

From: cfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing Win98 after the fact
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:57:25 GMT

make TWO boot floppies for your linux partition. verify that the
floppy boots fine. install windows to over write boot record. boot
linux with the floppy. then edit lilo config and rerun lilo to recover
the master boot record.

RTFM

------------------------------

From: cfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laptop won't boot after upgrade
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:51 GMT

create a boot floppy from another machine, and figure out the correct
boot parameters (boot-prompt HOWTO) to boot the partition. check lilo
config file and run lilo and pray that the RH distro isn't screwed up.

------------------------------

From: "Dusty Dew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:56:32 -0600

yes you can, you can install pretty much any OS aon any computer, but each
"higher versions" of an OS have their own requirements, just make sure that
the computer you are using meets the minimum requirements. Pick your own
distro. Go to www.linux.com
and go through the list of distros

~Dusty
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Looking for a distro
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:21:36 GMT

I'm looking for modern distro (2.2.* kernel)that will install on a
486DX 66Mhz, 8MB RAM, 512 MB HD.  I heard Slackware would.  I know that
RH 7.0 won't and for some reason RH 6.2 won't even boot into the
installer program off the boot disk.  But I'm mainly looking for a
modern distro which has the updated everything.  I don't feel like
installing RH 5.2 and just manually updating everything, I don't have
the time.  My mom is yelling at me right now because of the mess of
computers I have everywhere. Oh yeah, I don't plan on using X Window, I
just want to use this IP MASQ and to save some files to.  And the whole
networking experience :-)

-Phil

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Creating PDF (acrobat) files ?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:45:59 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Marc Frei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone has a trick to create PDF file with using Tex or the
> PostScript format ? From a .doc (staroffice) would be really cool !
>
> I have to create many PDF files... I need to reboot under windoze...
> bouhouhou....

This is a 2-step process:

1) Create a PostScript file in whatever program you like.
2) Use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to PDF. This is most easily
   done by using the ps2pdf script.

You can combine these two steps by creating appropriate scripts, weird
print queues, etc. The best way to do this will vary depending on your
exact needs, though.

One caveat: Ghostscript does a pretty miserable job handling anything
but the standard fonts (Times, Courier, and Helvetica). There's at least
one other tool that'll do the same job. It's better at font handling but
worse at layout. I don't recall its name offhand, though.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Cliff Sarginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Redhat 6.2 install...Need Help .. Urgent
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:09:30 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] posited:

> Hi! I have Intel 810 Chip machine and have installed Linux Redhat6.2
> server version.  Can I get X windows running on this system??
>
> I tried using the Custom Installation of the Server but my machine
> halts during the installation and it doesnot work at all, so I have
> picked the Server Installation and now after installing server version,
> I would like to install X Windows System,
>
> Can anyone help me please!!!>>>??
>
> Urgent!!
>
> Thanks
> CS
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

This won;t help installing X seperately (a red hat wiz can tell you that),
but you might try a custom installation from setup and select "text" mode
for the installation. The normal (non text) mode of Redhat installation is
in my experience worthless on the 5 PC's I have tried it on !

------------------------------

From: Cliff Sarginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:20:34 +0100

Douglas du Boulay posited:

> working with a debian potato system with kernel 2.2.14
> fdisk:
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 781 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1       520   2096608+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hda2           521       551    124992   83  Linux
> /dev/hda3           552       769    878976   83  Linux
> /dev/hda4           770       781     48384   82  Linux swap
>

> I cannot mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/hda1 /win
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> I know /dev/hda1 is a valid filesystem because I can boot into it
> from lilo and it is running MS NT4.0
>
> I can    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /win
> the only problem is that /win is then read only and no matter
> what combinations of umask,uid,gid I use, even as root it is not
> possible to write to /win
>
> Having searched around a bit on the web I have noticed that quite
> a few folks have been having problems with the vfat kernel module,
> though noone has reported my specific problem with the ntfs module
> that I am aware of.
>
> Can anyone help me out here? does anyone know if this has been fixed
> in some more recent kernel release? is there an alternative module/
> mode I should be using?
>
> thanks
> doug

Fat and NTFS may come from the same stable, but they are not the same horse.
You cannot mount one as the other !

I am using kernel 2.2.16 where i recall seeing an experimental option in
the kernel for write support to NTFS volumes. Since I dont use NT I have
never tried it.

Cliff

------------------------------

From: Cliff Sarginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't print on redhat 7
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:49:14 +0100

Orion Slevin posited:

> I user printtool to set up my printer correctly but when
> I try to print I get this error message:
>
> Get_local_host: 'localhost' IP address not available!
>
> I have a stand alone machine not connected to the internet
> or a network. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

try putting the following line in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost

Cliff

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest