  Re: X-4.0.1 problem/feature? (Paul Kimoto)

From: "H.A.J. van Niekerk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Linux and NTFS
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:11:38 +0100

On this system I'm using RH 6.2 which has kernel 2.2.14-5. So, as far as I
understand, there's no way to use
the NTFS filesystem and ext2fs together safely for me..

Huub

------------------------------

From: Scott Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Secure Copy
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:09:09 -0600

I did that...however it didn't give much more information...I will have to look for
that log file...

I can SCP to my linux box from a Win98 machine, but I can't SCP from my linux box to
another linux box.  I can't SCP from my Win98 machine to that Linux box
either...however I can SSH to the other linux box...

--

Scott Smith
Network Engineering Services

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where should I put .so ?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:28:54 +0100

no... see my other postings about ldconfig...

--
Lex legis
Organisation pour un monde plus optionnel

En ce moment
Orph=E9e - Johanne
http://www.491.org/projets/mmm/rphee-jo

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Segers, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: kernal can't find /sbin/init help
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:22:19 +0500

folowups to comp.os.linux.setup

like the subject says.
On a i686  Redhat 7.0 running kernel 2.2.16-22
defunct kernel 2.2.17
I got the source from kernel.org
I configured it
I ran make dep
I edited the line of the Makefile from cc -> kgcc
make distclean and start over
I compiled it (eventually) with make bzImage
I ran make zlilo
I edited lilo.conf to add the new kernel
I ran lilo
Reboot and find the prob.
I read a large portion of the kernel howto, the readme with the kernel,
man init, and some of the documentation folder that came with the kernel.

I'm stumped.

the last thing it succedes at is: mounted root (ext2fs) readonly freeing
unused kernel memory panic, maybe you should specify an init=

well, init=/sbin/init, init=rc.sysinit, init=/bin/bash don't change
anything (I didn't try them all at once) AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!!!

I don't have any revision of: libc5, procinfo, autofs, nfs, ncpfs,
pcmcia-cs, ppp, or isdn4kutils, but I don't have any network drives pc
cards a ppp connection or an isdn card either

All the rest of the stuff in the changes file are at or above reccommended
rev levels.

help please
if you respond by e-mail, include the word redhat or kernel or . . . in the
subject line because I get a lot of spam ie. not : Re: your problem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: What are my options on this crippled Linux box?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:36:20 GMT

OK, I have this junky 166 MHz Powerspec 1660, 32M Ram (integrated
videocard, winmodem) and I have Redhat 6.1  partially installed (?) on
it. I have a lot of command line stuff,  emacs, etc., and I have been
able to read and copy files to/from the floppy drive using mtools--but
how do I execute files on the A drive?), but no Xwindows cuz of the
videocard.

It sez in the Redhat book that I can't even get to the modem unless I
have Xwindows installed, so does that mean there is no way I can
connect to the Net (supposing that there did happen to be some sort of
driver for that winmodem somewhere out there..)??

What all can I do with this machine?

It is of some use to me, as I am a computer science student, and
actually have a programming assignment due next week that needs to run
on a Unix environment, and I suppose Linux will do for a trial run or
10...

Again... is there any way at all to hook this thing up to the net,
seeing as how I have no xwindows, an integrated video card, and a
winmodem?

From: "Anthony W. Youngman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows corrupts adjacent linux partition?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:28:12 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark Evans
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Every version of linux fdisk I've seen warns about creating DOS
>> partitions. Stupid doze believes the header information at the start of
>> the partition over and above the partition table itself. So if the data
>> in the header is corrupt, bang goes the next partition...
>
>> My complaint about stupid doze fdisk is that, having *recognised* the
>> disk as having 790 cylinders, it created an extended partition ending on
>> cylinder 790, then put inside it a logical partition ending on cylinder
>> 791. And no, linux fdisk went nowhere near the disk - indeed, the
>> closest linux got to that disk then was to blow away the partition table
>> (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdd bs=1024 count=1). I thought it wiser to
>> give doze a blank partition table and it STILL screws up!!!!!
>
>Except that will just clear the MBR, what you probably wanted
>was dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdd<n> bs=1024 count=20 where
>/dev/hdd<n> is the dos partition.

I said I wanted to blow away the *partition*table*, not the partition.

I meant what I said, and I gave doze a blank disk, and it *still*
screwed up :-(
Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how to log bootup messages to a file?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:52:22 GMT

I'm currently running redHat linux 6.2. I would like to
run linux 2.3.99-pre7 instead. I configured the kernel
parameters and built the os from the source code, but
the system does not boot. Unfortunately, I can't figure
out what caused the problem because the info files off
the screen too fast. What's left on the screen are a bunch
of numbers followed by the following lines:

Code: 8b 56 1c 89 d0 85 d2 7d 06 8d 82 ff 7f 00 00 25 00 25 00 00 ff ff

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

When I reboot with my old redHat kernel, I don't find any
of the earlier boot messages in any of the files in /var/log.
How do I log those messages? Alternately, is there a way to run the
kernel in debug mode that will allow me to capture these messages
before the panic?

From: Jan Oliver Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems setting up TV-Card
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:20:32 +0100

I have installed a Hauppauge TV-Card, which works well under Win98.
Now I would like to make ist work under Linux (Suse 7.0 distribution).
I have set up all the necessary options described in the bttv
documentation. When I try to start kwintv I get the error message :
error opening v4lx device /dev/video : no device found. (translated from
german)

/dev/video does exist.

What can I do ?

Thanks for your help,

Oliver

------------------------------

From: "BcB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XF4.01, tdfx, voodoo banshee
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.x,com.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:27:38 +0500

I have the same card and you don't use the 3dfx.o module in XFree86 4.0*.  Check out
http://linux.3dfx.com for the correct banshee drivers (don't worry if they don't say
Creative Labs Banshee, it is the same chip set).  If you need any more help setting it
up, just ask.

Hope this helps,

Chris

--
In the land of Penguins

"Real generosity toward the future consists in giving all to
what is present."
-Albert Camus

System Uptime:
0 Days, 0 Hours, 58 Minutes, and 21 Seconds

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: kernal can't find /sbin/init help
Date: 17 Nov 2000 22:38:11 GMT

In article <8v484s$nqk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jerry Segers, Jr. wrote:
>folowups to comp.os.linux.setup
>
>like the subject says.
>On a i686  Redhat 7.0 running kernel 2.2.16-22
>defunct kernel 2.2.17
>I got the source from kernel.org
>I configured it
>I ran make dep
>I edited the line of the Makefile from cc -> kgcc
[-]
>I ran lilo
>Reboot and find the prob.
>I read a large portion of the kernel howto, the readme with the kernel,
>man init, and some of the documentation folder that came with the kernel.
>
>I'm stumped.
>
>the last thing it succedes at is: mounted root (ext2fs) readonly freeing
>unused kernel memory panic, maybe you should specify an init=
>
>well, init=/sbin/init, init=rc.sysinit, init=/bin/bash don't change
>anything (I didn't try them all at once) AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!!!
[-]
You seem to have forgotten to compile ELF support into the kernel, so
boot the backup kernel (...)

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl         \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-4.0.1 problem/feature?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:47:20 -0500

Running RH7.0 with X-4.01 and AfterStep as the window manager. As user
all is well, but as root, X takes more cpu than one would expect:

# ps aux

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND

root       893  5.7  9.0 23436 11608 ?       S    13:23  14:37
/etc/X11/X :0 -au
root       896  0.1  2.1  4304 2740 tty1     S    13:23   0:30 afterstep

Is that normal? What does the -au mean? I didn't see any -au in the man
page. The video card is an ATI Xpert98 (or 99) for what it's worth.

------------------------------

From: "James R. Bunch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What are my options on this crippled Linux box?
Date: 17 Nov 2000 23:18:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: OK, I have this junky 166 MHz Powerspec 1660, 32M Ram (integrated
: videocard, winmodem) and I have Redhat 6.1  partially installed (?) on
: it. I have a lot of command line stuff,  emacs, etc., and I have been
: able to read and copy files to/from the floppy drive using mtools--but
: how do I execute files on the A drive?), but no Xwindows cuz of the
: videocard.

One bummer here -- winmodem == Bad!  A few winmodems have linux drivers
available, AFAIK most do not.  If your winmodem doesn't have a linux
driver you'll have to replace it with a linux compatible modem.  I'd
suggest an external, but YMMV.

: It sez in the Redhat book that I can't even get to the modem unless I
: have Xwindows installed, so does that mean there is no way I can
: connect to the Net (supposing that there did happen to be some sort of
: driver for that winmodem somewhere out there..)??

Take a look at the Net, PPP, etc. How-To's.  No need for X to connect
to net!  You'll need a kernel configured for networking -- may have
to build one if you don't have a pre-compiled net-enabled kernel on
hand -- if you're going to use ppp.  As a minimal 'get on the net'
try you can just install minicom and connect to your ISP via a dial-up.
(This assumes that your ISP supports async logins and shell sessions.)

If your ISP doesn't provide shell and async logins you'll need to use
ppp, so install and configure it, along with the net programs you want
to use (telnet, ssh, ftp, lynx, pine, ...., + misc utils).

If your Red-Hat book says you can't access the modem unless you have
X up and running I'd suggest you get a better book.

HTH

--
=============================
James R. Bunch         "A Byte is a terrible thing to waste ...

PGP Key available via finger
PGP Key fingerprint =  B5 31 10 77 BF B0 FD B2  10 54 CB E6 13 7C 26 58
==============================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: cpio-2.4.2 Installation Problem
Date: 17 Nov 2000 23:13:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have encountered a problem when trying to install cpio-2.4.2 on my Linux
>box, running SuSE-6.3 on kernel 2.2.17, and should be grateful for any help
>in resolving it.
>
>The problem occurs on invoking the "make" command, of which the output is
>as follows:-
[-]
> userspec.c:85: macro `strdup' used without args
> make: *** [userspec.o] Error 1
[-]

Can remember that one .. how about a vi userspec.c to start with ? You
might consider not using the original cpio source anyway as that version
is able to create unusable archives ( the portable ASCII format is broken
on glibc systems ).

Cheers,
Juergen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: user's default home
Date: 17 Nov 2000 23:13:44 GMT

In article <8v2us6$p58$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sam Tsui wrote:
>I would like Linux create user's home directory defaultly by "home2",
>but not "home".
[-]
useradd is the standard programme of the shadow password suite
and uses the file /etc/default/useradd, e.g. ...

# useradd defaults file
GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=14
EXPIRE=90
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel

... but of course you can override all options and this file
might not even exist; it's not required. See man useradd though as
your installation might have put it somewhere else.

Ta',
Juergen

From: "Nate Fitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Identd Problems
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:28:01 -0500

    This is a problem that plagues me during my IRC sessions.  I cannot
connect to particular irc servers (particularly EFnet servers.)  I get the
infamous (~[EMAIL PROTECTED] - please install identd) error from the
server.  I'm running RH7, using DHCP, and I've installed identd 3 again to
make sure it's there.  EFnet has been one of the most worthless irc n'works
out there lately (thanks to the script kiddies) - and the only server I can
get a connection on is irc.emory.edu, and that's usually lagged for some
reason.  Anyone with insight, your advice will be appreciated greatly, tnx.

-Nate Fitch

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: X-4.0.1 problem/feature?
Date: 17 Nov 2000 19:01:57 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Running RH7.0 with X-4.01 and AfterStep as the window manager. As user
> all is well, but as root, X takes more cpu than one would expect:
>
> # ps aux
>
> USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
>
> root       893  5.7  9.0 23436 11608 ?       S    13:23  14:37
> /etc/X11/X :0 -au
> root       896  0.1  2.1  4304 2740 tty1     S    13:23   0:30 afterstep
>
> Is that normal?

I don't know.  What do you expect, any why?  (What kind of CPU do you
have?)

>             What does the -au mean? I didn't see any -au in the man
> page. The video card is an ATI Xpert98 (or 99) for what it's worth.

It's probably "-auth", truncated.  Run "ps 893" (or, possibly "ps w 893")
to see more.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest