From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using LILO and modules.conf for boot hardware profiles?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:23:57 +0200

> I have a problem where I can get my scsi interfaced scanner to work
> but when I add the functionality of my IDE CDR, it breaks the scanner.
> Being a newbie, I'm not sure why but my guess is that it seems to get
> the CDR to work, one needs to tell the system to ignore it as an IDE
> device and fool it into thinking it is some type of scsi device.  In
> any event when it is enabled, I can't use the scanner.

Why not? What's the problem?
Why pursue a semi-solution. Try to solve the actual problem.
There's no reason why actual SCSI devices won't work when ide-scsi
emulation is used.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot mount FAT16 partition
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:27:55 +0200

> I have a FAT16 partition to be mounted as /shared but failed.

> Partition table entries are not in disk order
Not an error, but annoying

> If I mount it by this command:
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda4 /shared,
> it comes out with:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda4,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Try mounting it as msdos

Eric

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel compiling problems
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:33:19 GMT

Emil Christopher Melar wrote:

> I am trying to compile 2.2.19 on my slackware 7.1.
> It seems to compile fine, and I have stripped the kernel to what I have
> myself (turned off voodoo banshee etc).
> The problem is:
> I get black screen when I am launching the kernel, I can see my SCSI cdrom
> react and my harddrive work, but no actual picture. I can also hear that my
> screen changes video mode too, but the screen remains black... I have tried
> 2.3.4 kernel too, but it seemed to miss files, and I heard rumours that it
> didnt run well...
> I think my problems are in the console drivers section...
> My GFX card is TNT2 Ultra AGP (32 meg). What settings do I need in the
> console drivers section / font settings to make my kernel show up?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> -
> Emil Chr. Melar

I seemed to have problems with 2.2.19 also. But not the same problem. I
have tried to compile it on 2 different systems using the same config
setup that I used for the 2.2.18 kernel and neither of them would boot.
One stops booting with a message about some problem with "init".

I compile eveything the system needs into the kernel with no loadable
modules exactly the same as I do with  2.2.17  &  2.2.18.  One system is
redhat 6.2 and one is Slackware 7.1 both compile but won't boot.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.164% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.beos,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.be.help
Subject: Re: BeOS + Linux + Windows 2000 - Triple boot trouble.
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:35:31 +0200

> >I have a tiny problem. I want to triple boot between 3 OSes installed
> >on my PC: BeOS 5.0 Personal Edition, Win2000 Pro, and Redhat Linux 6.0

Show both `/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hd[a-z]` and the contents of
lilo.conf. Without that info I can't tell why it fails.

> Thanks to some great help from this NG (yea Alan N.!) I
> got my Win98, BeOS & a superset of DeadRat 7.0 booting ...
> but it required editing of lilo.conf to see the correct Linux
> partition.

Duh.
If you have a wrong config file sure it will not boot.

> Unfortunately that won't work for you, because Windoze NT/2000
> REALLY wants to control the boot process.  So I think your main

No it REALLY doesn't.
You've been misinformed. I have no clue on BeOS, but for linux/NT
systems you can just as well choose LILO to be your main bootloader

> trouble will be configuring boot.ini to see your BeOS partition
> and boot from same.

That I don't know, I never used BeOS.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change $PATH in Redhat 7.0
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:41:59 +0200

> I want to change the PATH variable at bootup. Using Redhat 7.0, I tried to
> add my "/u01/app/oracle/product/bin" to the PATH line
> in .bash_profile, .bashrc like PATH="/u01/app/oracle/product/bin:$PATH",
> none of them working...which file(s) should I edit to make the new $PATH
> take an effect at login.

You have already got a lot of weird advise for something as basic as this.
Reading the manpage for bash would have given the answer faster.

Add

export PATH="your path"

to your .bash_profile and then source that file with

`source .bash_profile`

That way you don't even have to logout to see the effect
But as I said before, read the manpage of bash.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: swap disk
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:47:35 +0200

> Is it still true that linux can(should) only have max 128Mg disk for
> swap? so if I have 128 Mg Ram, I should make 3 swap disks 128 Mg each(3
> times of ram as suggested) or I can make 1 big swap disk?

suggested by who?
Do you really need that much swap?
If so, you can make one big swap partition. The limit no longer holds.
(As of which kernel version I don't know)

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashwin R. Bharambe)
Subject: Re: mount a linux partition
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 04:15:58 GMT

Quoth Crystal Luo, on Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:15:16 +0800 (allegedly):
> On my hard disk, I have /dev/hda2 linux partition mounted as /. I reserved
> /dev/hda9 linux partition for storing linux data.
>
> The trouble is I have to mount /dev/hda9 to a directory under / everytime in
> order to store data on it. Is there any way that I can have this partition
> under / permanently?

Add the following line to your /etc/fstab

/dev/hda9        <mount-point>    ext2      auto, <other_options>  0 0

The auto option will cause it to get mounted everytime the system boots
up. For other options, man fstab.

Hth,
Ashwin.

--
Senior Undergraduate Student,                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Computer Science and Engg., IIT Bombay.    http://www.cse.iitb.ernet.in/~ashu

------------------------------

From: "ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I start gnome?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:58:15 +0800

How do I start gnome from fvwm?
Thanks for help

------------------------------

From: Marc Ledauphin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can i set up a dual boot?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:18:41 GMT

===============_4D48009B5FC847D22918

When you install redhat, it's possible to setup the dual boot, with lilo=
=20
or grub. Just follow the recommandations

Le 16/04/2001, =E0 18:30:06 h, epd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> vous a =E9crit=
 sur le=20
sujet suivant How can i set up a dual boot?:

> Hey all,

> i was wondering if any of you linux savvy pros could tell me how i can=

> setup a dual boot with a box that is currently running win98.  can i j=
ust
> install Redhat and that will take care of it or what...i have files th=
at=20
> WANT to keep on my hardrive so im not into reformating my HD...

> someone help!! -- please e-mail your responses to:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> cuz i dont check the boards...

> thanks,
> epd

> --
===============_4D48009B5FC847D22918

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8=
859-1">
        <TITLE>Re: How can i set up a dual boot?</TITLE>
        <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.2 (Linux)">
        <META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"20010417;10172700">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"Marc Ledauphin">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"20010417;10182600">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<PRE>When you install redhat, it's possible to setup the dual boot, with=

lilo or grub. Just follow the recommandations

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=
 Message d'origine &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&=
lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Le 16/04/2001, &agrave; 18:30:06 h, epd &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]&gt; vou=
s a &eacute;crit
sur le sujet suivant How can i set up a dual boot?:

&gt; Hey all,

&gt; i was wondering if any of you linux savvy pros could tell me how i
can
&gt; setup a dual boot with a box that is currently running win98.  can =
just
&gt; install Redhat and that will take care of it or what...i have files=

that i
&gt; WANT to keep on my hardrive so im not into reformating my HD...

&gt; someone help!! -- please e-mail your responses to:

&gt; [EMAIL PROTECTED]

&gt; cuz i dont check the boards...

&gt; thanks,
&gt; epd

&gt; --
&gt; Posted via CNET Help.com
&gt; <A HREF=3D"http://www.help.com/">http://www.help.com/</A></PRE>
</BODY>
</HTML>
===============_4D48009B5FC847D22918==

------------------------------

From: Marc Ledauphin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing with CUPS
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:19:47 GMT

===============_4D48009B8DE046412200

I had too many problems with cups with mandrake 7.2, so, I installed a=20
red hat 7.0 and all work fine.

Le 16/04/2001, =E0 15:30:19 h, H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
vous=20
a =E9crit sur le sujet suivant Printing with CUPS:

===============_4D48009B8DE046412200

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8=
859-1">
        <TITLE>Re: Printing with CUPS</TITLE>
        <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.2 (Linux)">
        <META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"20010417;10185500">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"Marc Ledauphin">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"20010417;10194400">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<PRE>I had too many problems with cups with mandrake 7.2, so, I installe=
d a
red hat 7.0 and all work fine.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=
 Message d'origine &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&=
lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Le 16/04/2001, &agrave; 15:30:19 h, H &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]=
.co.uk&gt;
vous a &eacute;crit sur le sujet suivant Printing with CUPS:

&gt; Using CUPS on Mandrake 7.2. Have an Epson on /dev /lp0.
&gt; If I login as root everything is hunky dorey and I can print (almos=
t)
&gt; anything from anywhere BUT if I login as a normal user whilst eithe=
&lt;lp
&gt; foobar&gt; or &lt;lpr foobar&gt; from a terminal prompt will achiev=
e the
desired
&gt; printout, if I e.g. &lt;Print buffer&gt; from emacs or &lt;Print&gt=
; from an
&gt; x-windows/KDE application nothing happens. Top shows &lt;lpr&gt; to=
 be
using
&gt; enormous amounts of cpu time for hours on end whilst lpstat tells m=
that
&gt; the
&gt; Epson is idle (which it certainly is).
&gt; Any pointers would be gratefully received.
&gt; H</PRE>
</BODY>
</HTML>
===============_4D48009B8DE046412200==

------------------------------

From: Kevin Davisł <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:57:49 GMT

I am not sure why it does this.  If I did, I would try to fix it.
That is why I am pursuing this solution.  I know of only one way to
enable my scanner, which is to load the driver for the SCSI card.  I
also know of only one way to enable the CDR which is to tell Linux to
ignore it as an IDE device and make it think it is a SCSI device.
When I do that, the scanner stops working.  The only reason I can
think that this may happen is that the SCSI card I have came with the
scanner and is a special single device card.  IMO, the real solution
should have been for Linux not to force such a kludgy solution for an
IDE CDR.  So it looks like Linux can't handle this configuration and
Windows does (just like my sound card).  I am open to suggestions
because I am not a Linux expert.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:23:57 +0200, "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I have a problem where I can get my scsi interfaced scanner to work
>> but when I add the functionality of my IDE CDR, it breaks the scanner.
>> Being a newbie, I'm not sure why but my guess is that it seems to get
>> the CDR to work, one needs to tell the system to ignore it as an IDE
>> device and fool it into thinking it is some type of scsi device.  In
>> any event when it is enabled, I can't use the scanner.
>
>Why not? What's the problem?
>Why pursue a semi-solution. Try to solve the actual problem.
>There's no reason why actual SCSI devices won't work when ide-scsi
>emulation is used.
>
>Eric

=======================================
What could possibly go wrong?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (remove the z's from my address)

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Daylight saving bug in Redhat Linux?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:23:57 -0400

David Efflandt wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:22:46 -0400, Raymond Chui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> >>  On my system,
> >> /etc/localtime is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT , not a link.
> >>

> > Can you do me a favor type
> >
> > ls -lai /etc/localtime
> > ls -lai /usr/share/zoninfo/EST5EDT
> >
> > See if the inode number (the 1st column) is the same or not.
> > If they are the same, then /etc/localtime is a hardlink (not symbolic
> > link).
> > If they are different, then /etc/localtime is a copy of a file.
> > Thank you again.
> >
> > --Raymond
>
> It seems to vary.  These are 2 systems.  Mandrake 7.0 (copy):
>
> $ ls -lai /usr/share/zoneinfo/CST6CDT
>   32076 -rw-r--r--   3 root     root         1262 Sep  5  2000
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/CST6CDT
> $ ls -lai /etc/localtime
>   96211 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1262 Oct  1  2000
> /etc/localtime
>
> SuSE 7.1 (hard link):
>
> > ls -lai /usr/share/zoneinfo/CST6CDT
>  953520 -rw-r--r--    4 root     root         1279 Jan 19 00:16
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/CST6CDT
> > ls -lai /etc/localtime
>  953520 -rw-r--r--    4 root     root         1279 Jan 19 00:16
> /etc/localtime

My conjecture is that the copy school wants to be ready so that you
could boot your system, use the correct time, etc., before that
partition that has /usr/share... is even mounted, whereas the link
school assumes that /etc and /usr/share are necessarily on the same
partition.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting >1024 cylinders??
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:24:46 +1000

Get the latest version of lilo ( I am using 21.7 ) that removed this
limitation:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo/

It says "Lilo is capable of booting beyond cylinder 1024 of a hard disk
if the BIOS supports EDD packet call extensions to the int 0x13
interface."

John

Jeff Pierce wrote:

> I am confused, can LILO boot from a partition past 1024? I have been
> told, yse/no/maybe? I have a Maxtor 40Gig and want to run both Windows
> 98 and Linux 2.4.0. No real problem with the two, done it a number of
> time in the past. Only I've never had a disk this big.
>
> --
> Jeff Pierce
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://pages.preferred.com/~piercej

Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F47D34

------------------------------

From: "Carlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem setting environment variable in rc.sysinit
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:26:41 +0200

hi,
sorry for the newbie question,
I'm trying to set some environment variables in rc.sysinit
with commands like this:

export MYVAR=/usr/local/mydir/

but after rebooting it doesn't  work
I try the same in /etc/profile and it work
but it's useless because I need to set these variable
before the start of the services in /etc/init.d

is there something wrong about modifying rc.sysinit ?
A workaround of the problem is setting these variables inside
the script that start the service in init.d
but I would like to find a better solution

thanks a lot to anybody that have a suggestion
Carlo

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:44:19 +0200

> I am not sure why it does this.  If I did, I would try to fix it.

Then why not try to find it out.

> That is why I am pursuing this solution.  I know of only one way to
> enable my scanner, which is to load the driver for the SCSI card.

sounds reasonable.

> I also know of only one way to enable the CDR which is to tell Linux to
> ignore it as an IDE device and make it think it is a SCSI device.

That's almost correct. It doesn't think it's a scsi device, the scsi device
drivers are used to make the correct command-sequence for writing.
For the application you side, you are right, it only uses SCSI devices,
and an ide-scsi emulated device is seen as if it were a SCSI device.

> When I do that, the scanner stops working.  The only reason I can

what does `cat /proc/scsi/scsi` return when you have both the driver
for that card loaded, and you have enabled ide-scsi emulation for
the CDR. And if you have only one of the two scsi devices?
Anything shows up in /var/log/messages?
dmesg?

> think that this may happen is that the SCSI card I have came with the
> scanner and is a special single device card.  IMO, the real solution
> should have been for Linux not to force such a kludgy solution for an
> IDE CDR.

It's not kludgy IMO

> So it looks like Linux can't handle this configuration and

I doubt it. (Though I'm not sure)
But I most certainly have a setup where both a real SCSI HDD and a
IDE DVD-RAM (which I use with ide-scsi emulation) work.

> Windows does (just like my sound card).

Are you sure it doesn't work? Or have you just been unsuccesfull in
getting it to work? (I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious)

And under windows this just works because you get a driver
from the manufacturer. If you were given a linux driver any hardware
would work under linux just as fine.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 11:55:22 GMT

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:26:41 +0200, Carlo allegedly wrote:
>hi,
>sorry for the newbie question,
>I'm trying to set some environment variables in rc.sysinit
>with commands like this:

>export MYVAR=/usr/local/mydir/
>
>but after rebooting it doesn't  work
>I try the same in /etc/profile and it work
>but it's useless because I need to set these variable
>before the start of the services in /etc/init.d
>
>is there something wrong about modifying rc.sysinit ?
>A workaround of the problem is setting these variables inside
>the script that start the service in init.d
>but I would like to find a better solution
>
>thanks a lot to anybody that have a suggestion

Every script in /etc/init.d/ is a shell script. Shell scripts are run in
their own shell, which is started just for the duration of the script.
They don't inherit shell-variables from other shells, except from their
parent shell. Shell scripts don't modify the variables of their parent
shell either.

To answer your question, modifying rc.sysinit is useless in the case of
changing shell variables, as the modification only holds for the
duration of the rc.sysinit shell script.
All other scripts which are run at a later point, start with a clean
slate, and only get extra settings which are set in shell configuration
file. Which for bash and sh is /etc/profile. That file is read by the
shell itself, and has little to do with where you are in your boot
procedure.

Two solutions, export that variable only in the script that needs it,
that is not a workaround, but the in most cases the best solution, as
most non-standard shell variables are only needed for certain programs.
Or read the section INVOCATION in "man sh" and modify the correct
configuration file, which will result in every shell started will have
MYVAR set. Modifying /etc/profile should have done the trick.

--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                         website:   http://hermanbruijn.com

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest