From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with binfmt module on kernel 2.4.3
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:34:02 -0400

Marc D Bumble wrote:

> I am trying to compile  linux kernel 2.4.3 from ftp.us.kernel.org on a
> RedHat 7.0 box with the following configuration:
>
> uname -a
> Linux cadence.glidepath.org 2.2.16-22smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 22 16:39:21 EDT 2000 i686
>unknown
>
> The compilation works, but when I try to boot with the kernel, I get
> the following error message:
>
> failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c errno = 8

What version is your modutils? As of the 2.4-series kernels, it needs
to be at least version 2.4.2, as the module layout is different in
the new kernels.

See the file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes in the new kernel
source
for information on version levels to be checked. If you're using PPP,
you'll probably have to make some other changes as well.

------------------------------

From: "JediK9" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Boot Linux RH7.0 & M$ System
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:38:58 +1000

Andy,

Thanks heaps for the quick response. I've heard of this quirk but I
incorrectly assumed since I could boot off a Linux floppy boot disk that it
wasn't this problem. However, my LILO version is 21.4-4, so I s'ppose I need
to go find a copy of LILO 21.6 or higher now.
Once again thanks ...

Cheers
JediK9

"Andy Collinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9b97vg$b46$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JediK9 wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The infamous dual boot question:
> >
> > Using Redhat 7.0 I installed the Linux boot sector to a new partition
(not
> > the MBR) and used the "dd if=/dev/hda3 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1"
> > command to create a file I placed on the Windows C:\ drive and edited
the
> > boot.ini file to use the .lnx file to boot Linux. All M$ systems boot
OK,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Will Renkel)
Subject: cut and paste with mouse
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:58:23 +0000 (UTC)

I am experiencing a cut and paste situation that drives me absolutely nuts.
The problem is I highlight with left button
and paste with middle button
But the paste gives me multiple copies of the highlighted cut.

I start my system in console mode and startx as needed.
I disable (kill) gpm before starting windows.

Any ideas?

Here is my xconfig setting for pointer:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "Microsoft"
#    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Protocol   "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

#    BaudRate   9600
#    SampleRate 150
# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice

#    Emulate3Buttons

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

    ChordMiddle

EndSection

I am using an OLD kernel etc - 1.1.59

 Will Renkel
 Wheaton, Ill.
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Golf and bowling are not a matter of life and death ...
     they transcend such trivial matters!"

"da little BIG DOG!"

------------------------------

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: Audio with Linux (2.4.2/2.2.16) kernel and Asus AV7133
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:01:04 -0400

Can you give me an idea of what to check for?

For example, when bring up real player 8 (basic/standard) I hear in the
background the "theme" music but I also hear static/white noise..

Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers..

news:IbEB6.4845$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "don stefani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: No init found...
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:07:47 GMT

Hello all,
went to deja.com , saw that this is somewhat common but could fine what I
needed.
It lead me here. If there is an FAQ for this I apologize, I have not read
it.
(side question) How does one find the FAQ for any given group?

My question:

Here is the error at bootup:
"VSF: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
  freeing unused kernal memory: 64k freed
  Warning: unable to open initial console
  Kernal panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernal"

I used the boot disk to restart and I let it default to hda5,
since I didn't know what else to tell it to do. It appered to load
everything [OK]
Xwindows started but at the grey grid-type screen it hung,
I tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and the login screen came up and then it went
back to the grey-grid with X curser.
I did Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and x stopped and I was able to login at the
prompt.
Everything else seems normal.

Here is my lilo.conf file:

boot=/dev/hda1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
promt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
     lable=linux
     read-only
     root=/dev/hda5

Here is the contents of cfdisk:

Name    Flags    Part Type  FS Type         Size (MB)
hda1      Boot    Primary   Linux ext2         23.23
hda5                  Logical   Linux ext2         11519.27
hda6                  Logical   Linux swap        526.42

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Subject: Re: what is the difference between the evaluation SuSe and the regular
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:12:36 GMT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:38:43 GMT, themethod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Someone gave me an address for the ISO of SuSe Linux 7.1  but it is the ISO
>of the evaluation versian. how long would I be able to use it and what
>functions would it lack.
>
>    secondly the regular ftp versian of SuSe 7.1 is over a gigabyte and I
>need to transfer it via cd to another computer How do I sepperate the files
>to both cd's and then how do I install it
>
>     Please help me this is for my school computer lab and to help me learn
>linux.
>
>thanks

You can use the eval-version forever. Nor is it crippled or disabled in
any way. It is the full-featured Linux core of the distribution. What it
lacks from the various full versions is about 5 CD's worth of
add-ons: utilities which may be gotten elsewhere, demos of commercial
apps, and some third-party commercial software whose manufacturers have
licensing deals with SuSE. But the actual distro and everything you need
for the actual distro is to be found in the eval edition. Many (or perhaps
most) people never need anything beyond what is packaged with this base
distro.

Since the eval version includes everything you need for a
fully-functioning SuSE distro, your installation strategy is as follows:
1) install the eval version from 1 CD. 2) Find every addon you might wish
online, later, either from SuSE, or from the appropriate 3rd parties who
package
these add-ons in rpm format. (Candidates include the latest version of
KDE from kde.org, or Gnome, etc. etc....or whatever actual commercial
Linux apps you intend to use.) Put all this stuff on any 2nd or subsequent
CD's you wish to have. Rely on SuSE's installer YaST, or on the rpm
utility to install your new rpm packages.

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: Rimas Vilgalys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I mistakenly uninstalled the rpm package..(how to install it back)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:44:59 -0400

==============474B3ADF70B568D3BDC37865

Goto ftp://ftp.rpm.org//pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.0.x/
In here there are two files you can use:
rpm-4.0.2.i386.tar.gx     - this is if you have an intel architechture
(IBM combatible).
rpm-4.0.2.tar.gz          - compile this if you have SuSe for ppc,
sparc, or whatever else you may need.
remember to unpack them type "tar -zxvf <whatever>" where <whatever is
the name of the package (the .tar.gz ones mentioned above. (Sorry if you
already knew that, but you mentioned you were new at linux)

--
foo=====================
   rim vilgalys

==============474B3ADF70B568D3BDC37865

Goto <A
HREF="ftp://ftp.rpm.org//pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.0.x/">ftp://ftp.rpm.org//pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.0.x/</A>
an intel architechture (IBM combatible).
- compile this if you have SuSe for ppc, sparc, or whatever else you may
need.
is the name of the package (the .tar.gz ones mentioned above. (Sorry if
you already knew that, but you mentioned you were new at linux)
size=-1>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
size=-1>After
installing the linux, I mistakenly selected the rpm packages( through install/delete
size=-1>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Then its (Yast is giving trouble for selecting any other package or
to get it back rpm with out reinstalling the linux...</font></font>&nbsp;<font
face="Arial"><font size=-1>Could

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i2c packages?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 06:43:13 +0600

I want to set up temperature sensing for my system, and as best I can
tell from Web searches and poking around int
/usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.5.5, I need a module called i2c-viapro.o for
my board.

I have this module in some of my kernels installed from RPM kits:

/usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.5.5/busses/i2c-viapro
/usr/src/linux-2.4.0/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.c
/lib/modules/2.4.2-0.1.28/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.o
/lib/modules/2.4.0-0.99.11/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.o
/lib/modules/2.4.2-0.1.49/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-viapro.o

How can I get this module for 2.4.3 ?

I have several kernels on my system, but when I "make xconfig", the
2.4.0 kernel is the only one that offers a "Hardware sensors support"
section under "Character devices".

Thanks,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Rimas Vilgalys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel compile
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:52:48 -0400

You dont need to compile them into the kernel. I'm not really an expert about this
stuff, but
try either:
I think you're talking about modules (they are .o files that can be used as drivers)
"insmod modname.o" (you can put this in your /etc/rc.d/init.d or whatever it is for
your distro)

"modprobe modname" (provided that modname is in /lib/modules/ - this does something
similar)
after this type "lsmod" to make sure its there.
You might need to add something like io=0x150 or irq=4 (dont use those exact numbers)
but it
really depends what sort of device you want to use. I remember having to put "insmod
/usr/local/fet916/fet916.o irq=3 io=0x300" to make my ethernet card work on my 486.
Sorry, but i can't promise any of this will work.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have .o files for a driver (without documentation). How do I make them a part of
>the kernel
> Am a newbie to linux - this this (elementary) question
>

> --
> Sent by rohitver  from hotmail  subdomain of  com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

foo=====================
   rim vilgalys
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=====================bar

------------------------------

From: Rimas Vilgalys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: red hat 7.0......mouse problems
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:58:25 -0400

silver wrote:

> I am trying to install RH 7.0 and it is picking my mouse up as a three
> button mouse , when it is a M$ 2 button mouse. When i get to the area where
> i can change the mouse settings, I need a mouse to change the settings and
> because it picked the wrong one on the boot, I am unable to use the mouse.
> What can be done to get this OS to pick up the right mouse on the boot up?
> Any help is welcomed.....

You need to play with the /etc/X11/XF86Config file
There should be a section like this:
Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "something"
    Device "somethign else"
 #   Emulate3Buttons
EndSection
In your case, you want Protocol to be "Microsoft", Device can be varied.
Usually its /dev/mouse.
You want to uncomment (take out the #) for the Emulate3Buttons. This will
allow you to use the middle button when you hold both the left and right ones.

--
foo=====================
   rim vilgalys

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i2c packages?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:59:25 GMT

Bobby D. Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have several kernels on my system, but when I "make xconfig", the
> 2.4.0 kernel is the only one that offers a "Hardware sensors support"
> section under "Character devices".

Don't see it on my 2.4.0 here. You must have patched your kernel.

The only mention in the config help is under I2C support:

    Both I2C and SMBus are supported here. You will need this for
    hardware sensors support, and also for Video for Linux support.

And as I recall, lm_sensors patches always contained their own i2c
replacements.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Yaniv Kats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX setup help(intel)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:47:54 +0200

Hello ,
I have problem during setup to manually configure the system files, i use
disk druid and succeed to configure native partition and swap partition
,BUT, i just can't see the OK button enable so i can push it and move on to
the next screen .

REGARDS,

YANIV KATS

------------------------------

From: "Lionel Doray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with PPP
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:14:07 +0200

Hi; I am a totally new user of Linux. I 'm trying to install LINUX on my
computer with the Red Hat 5.0 version.
   I d like to run a PPP connection. When I make a 'dmesg' I can see easily
that PPP is not supported now by my kernel. I read the HOWTO file
corresponding to PPP setup, and it told me to recompile the kernel. First I
should do a 'make xconfig' (for instance) and respond 'Y' to the question
'PPP <CONFIG_PPP>': But the problem is that I do not see this question!
It'd be nice if someone could help me.
Thank you
Lionel

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with PPP
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:33:34 +0200

Lionel Doray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I d like to run a PPP connection. When I make a 'dmesg' I can see easily
> that PPP is not supported now by my kernel. I read the HOWTO file

So load the module for it. "modprobe ppp".

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Re: cut and paste with mouse
Date: 14 Apr 2001 13:43:31 GMT

I just looked at my xconfig and my protocol is PS/2. That seems to be the
standard on most machines and may make some difference.

...Edwin

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:58:23 +0000 (UTC), Will Renkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am experiencing a cut and paste situation that drives me absolutely nuts.
>The problem is I highlight with left button
>and paste with middle button
>But the paste gives me multiple copies of the highlighted cut.
>
>I start my system in console mode and startx as needed.
>I disable (kill) gpm before starting windows.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Here is my xconfig setting for pointer:
>
>Section "Pointer"
>    Protocol    "Microsoft"
>#    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
>    Device      "/dev/mouse"
>
># When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
># the following line.
>
>#    Protocol   "Xqueue"
>
># Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice
>
>#    BaudRate   9600
>#    SampleRate 150
># Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
>
>#    Emulate3Buttons
>
># ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
>
>    ChordMiddle
>
>EndSection
>
>I am using an OLD kernel etc - 1.1.59
>

>--
> Will Renkel
> Wheaton, Ill.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>"Golf and bowling are not a matter of life and death ...
>     they transcend such trivial matters!"
>
>"da little BIG DOG!"

~   Edwin Johnson ....... [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ~
~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ching-jung Chen)
Subject: GCC bug or mine ?
Date: 14 Apr 2001 09:58:34 -0400

an any one explain the behavior of the following program ?
It looks like a gcc bug or a wrong combination of gcc and libraries.
In t2_main, the content of the local variable 'msg' is modified
after calling the function recv_msg.
It works ok with gcc 2.96-54, which came with Red Hat 7.0.
After I replace it with gcc-2.95.3, cpp-2.95.3 and gcc-c++-2.95.3,
it starts to have the problem.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/ipc.h>
#include <sys/msg.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <pthread.h>

typedef struct {
  long     mtype;
  int      id;
} Msg_Linux;

int t1_queue;
int t2_queue;

static int
new_queue (char *filename)
{
  int    queue;
  key_t  key;
  char   buf[80];

  sprintf (buf, "/tmp/%s", filename);

  if (access (buf, R_OK) < 0)
    creat (buf, O_CREAT);

  key = ftok (buf, 'B');

  return msgget (key, 0644 | IPC_CREAT);
}

send_msg (int queue)
{
  Msg_Linux lx_msg;

  lx_msg.mtype = 1;
  msgsnd (queue, (struct msgbuf *) &lx_msg , sizeof(lx_msg), 0);
}

recv_msg (int queue)
{
  Msg_Linux lx_msg;

  lx_msg.mtype = 0;
  msgrcv (queue, (struct msgbuf *) &lx_msg, sizeof(lx_msg), 0, 0);
}

void
t1_main()
{
  send_msg (t2_queue);
  while (1);
}

void
t2_main()
{
  struct {
    int id;
  } msg;

  msg.id = 0;

  printf("%x \n", msg.id);
  recv_msg (t2_queue);
  printf("%x \n", msg.id);

  while (1);
}

main()
{
  pthread_t thread1, thread2;

  t1_queue = new_queue ("t1");
  t2_queue = new_queue ("t2");

  pthread_create (&thread1, NULL, (void *)&t1_main, NULL);
  pthread_create (&thread2, NULL, (void *)&t2_main, NULL);
  while (1);
}

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest