From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Han2097)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 19:11:40 GMT
Subject: Conflicting device problem?

I am trying to get my Crystal PnP soundcard working in
Linux.  Sndconfig would not let me choose IRQ 11, which is the IRQ for my
soundcard.  To get my sound to work, I had to change an IRQ in isapnp.conf:

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       IRQ 9.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
(INT 0 (IRQ 11 (MODE +E)))          #_____This 11 was previously a 10____

#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0330
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
(IO 0 (BASE 0x330))

After I rebooted, my sound worked.  (Except for olp3, which is
midi, right?)  But my D-Link DFE-530-TX PCI network card, which is on IRQ 10,
did not, so I no longer have internet connectivity from within Linux.
I really do not understand why changing this would cause my network card to
stop working.  They ARE on different IRQs.

Curiously, during boot the step "Determining IP information for eth0 via
dhcpcd," which takes about one minute to tell me "FAILED", took only a second
or so to fail after I made this change to isapnp.conf.

Please give me a hand with this, I am *so* close to being able to do everything
in Linux that I could under Windows, without crashes :)

Thanks!

Dan R
ICQ 4689648

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Artabros)
Subject: Booting win98 in /dev/hdd1 with LILO?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:37:19 +0200

   Hi!
    I'm trying to boot windows 98 on slave HDD of IDE Secondary Controller
(/dev/hdd1). My lilo.conf contents:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
message=/etc/lilo.msg
prompt
single-key
timeout=60
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=ask
disk=/dev/hdd
     bios=0x81
(...)
other=/dev/hdd1
    table=/dev/hdd
    loader = /boot/os2_d.b
    label=win98
    alias=7
    map-drive = 0x80
         to = 0x81
    map-drive = 0x81
         to = 0x80
   Once i select that option in lilo's prompt, appears an error message
advicing that there's non-system disk and when I press a key, it tells me
that there isn't an active partition (or something like that). Win98
is correctly installed (when it's in /dev/hda1, it works):

         Disk /dev/hdd: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 524 cylinders
         Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdd1   *         1       524    528160+   b  Win95 FAT32

   Somebody knows what is happening?
   Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!  :P

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: network neighbourhood and subnets.
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:42:00 -0400

hello,
we have two lans. the ips on one lan is 192.168.1.??? and on other lan
192.168.10.???.
the linux box is 192.168.1.1. a router configuration connects the two lans.
every computer in both lans can see the linux box in network neighbourhood,
however only the local lan computers can actually double click and go into
the linux computer. the remote computers when they double click are prompted
for a password. this error is similar to when the win98 computers login name
has to be added to the linux box.
any suggestions?

thank you,
kenny.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:52:47 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: network neighbourhood and subnets.

"Kenny@BUI" wrote:

> hello,
> we have two lans. the ips on one lan is 192.168.1.??? and on other lan
> 192.168.10.???.
> the linux box is 192.168.1.1. a router configuration connects the two lans.
> every computer in both lans can see the linux box in network neighbourhood,
> however only the local lan computers can actually double click and go into
> the linux computer. the remote computers when they double click are prompted
> for a password. this error is similar to when the win98 computers login name
> has to be added to the linux box.
> any suggestions?

Check "man smb.conf" for the "domain master" option
and may be the "local master" option could be interesting for you.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:20:33 -0400

thank you for responding.

kenny.

------------------------------

From: "Phil Matthews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning and LILO
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:36:39 +0100

"David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<Snip>
> This is how I have a 9.1 GB drive setup. If/when I reinstall again I
> will make /usr larger somewhere around 2-2.5 GB. But all that is
> "required" is "/" root and swap.
>
>  df -h
> /dev/hda1              99M   43M   50M  46% /
> /dev/hda5             6.1G  4.0G  1.7G  70% /home
> /dev/hda10            152M  337k  144M   0% /tmp
> /dev/hda6             1.2G 1009M  113M  90% /usr
> /dev/hda9             243M  6.2M  224M   3% /usr/src
> /dev/hda7             387M  121M  246M  33% /var

I have just installed Linux (Peanut dist.) on an 8GB drive.  The
installation (boot CD) allows for only / & swap so everything has been
installed to the / partition.  I would now like to use the other partitions
on my disk (I have already set up and formatted ext2 partitions for /usr ,
/var & /home) but am unsure how to go about it.  Is it just a case of moving
the contents of the /usr (/var, /home) directory to the relevant partition
and then creating a symbolic link, or is there a configuration file
somewhere?

TIA
Phil

I would appreciate cc's to my e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Find current kernel config ?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:40:10 GMT

In article <9bhi1d$40q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've tried to rebuild my kernel (2.2.10, on RedHat 6), and have many
>doubts abouts the proper answers to all the question I'm asked by
>"Configuration". In the end the machine did reboot, but lots of stuff
>was missing (like PCMCIA support, it's a laptop).
>
>So the question is : knowing that I have a properly working system,
>how can I find out what the current configuration is ? ideally, I'd like
>to start by re-building a kernel that's identical to the one I have.
>
>Did "Configuration" store somewhere the previous answers to its
>questions, so I could use that again as a starting point ?
[-]
Yes -- /usr/src/linux/.config
       /usr/src/linux/.config.old

Mind they're . files, so not visible via ls without -a,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: "Roy Bamford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:59:52 +0100

Krstanovic,

You shouldn't have a ISA modem on COM2 unless your PC has only one COM port,
which is very unusual.

If you have two COM ports on the motherboard, you must disable the
motherboard COM2: as it will clash with the ISA card. It may or may not work
then.
What other serial devices do you have?

Most ISA modems were modems and COM ports on the same card, so you must get
Linux to see your ISA COM port before it will see the modem. However, I have
never come across a 56k ISA card. Are you sure its not a PCI card?

Regards,

Roy Bamford
--
There are two classes of computer users,
those who do backups and

news:9beqeg$8er$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Dancin'  Fool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring my ATI vid. card
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:33:13 +0200

Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I can't remember this for sure... There was a problem with the ATI 128
> chipset driver that come with older version of XFree.
>
> Thry the following link. I used to use this driver instead and
> everything works really well.
>
> The web page did not mention Xpert 2000, but I believe this card uses
> the same chip set.
>
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~distclai/2daccel.html
>

> Alex.

Thanks, Alex!
I just downloaded the driver and am studying the extensive installation
instructions on David St Clair's page (not a bit like doing it in Windows is
it? <groan> here starts the learning curve).
RH support emailed me back that the Xpert 2000 isn't supported under 6.2 and
that I should buy 7.1... Needless to say, not so impressed with this service
so far. But help in the wider Linux community amply compensates.
--
  Please post replies to group
        The Dancin'  Fool

------------------------------

From: "James Kimble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0 works but PPP has quit
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:35:11 -0400

I'm running Suse 7.0 and have had no problems with my network connections
until now. I replaced a 3Com ethernet card with a LinkSys card. The LinkSys
came with drivers and required me to install some kernel modules. No problem
and my local network works fine. However, after I installed the new card my
PPP dialup connection, that had worked fine before, will no longer let me
see
my ISP. I'm not very up on network configuration. Below is what ifconfig
reports and what the last 10 lines of my ppp log shows. Any help here would
be very appreciated. I don't fully understand all of the configuration files
so any
tutorial suggestions or just a few words of advice would be much
appreciated.
Thanks,

James Kimble

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ifconfig
=======
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:6D:18:00:F7
          inet addr:192.168.0.50  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::203:6dff:fe18:f7/10 Scope:Link
          inet6 addr: fe80::3:6d18:f7/10 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:216.23.39.175  P-t-P:207.78.244.2  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
===================

These are the last 10 lines of my ppp log file
===================
Apr  9 23:21:02 linux insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:21:46 linux insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:21:46 linux insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:24:00 linux modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:24:00 linux modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:25:01 linux insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:33:39 linux modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr  9 23:33:39 linux modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
Apr 10 20:27:40 linux init: Switching to runlevel: 6
Apr 12 08:31:37 linux in.identd[612]: started

------------------------------

From: Afonso Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to switch graphcal login manger between Gnome/ KDE ?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:47:42 +0800

By change the the inittab, I know how to switch between the text login and
graphical login.
When I chose graphical login, How can I switch the login manager?

here is my case:
Redhat 7.0 is installed on two linux boxes. while installing, I chose
graphically login for both of them. One is Gnome (Gnome desktop manger
login dialog will be shown after boot), another is KDE (KDE login dialog
will be shown after boot).

I notice that, KDE login dialog has no languages selection before logging
into gnome, so that I do not know how to select language for gnome.

I have two problems,
(1) how can I switch language for gnome without the gnome desktop login?
(2) how can I change the grachically login between KDE and GNOME login
manager?

please,  give me  hints.

Afonso Sam

------------------------------

From: Jason Lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting win98 in /dev/hdd1 with LILO?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:06:15 -0500

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:37:19 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Artabros) wrote:

>   Hi!
>    I'm trying to boot windows 98 on slave HDD of IDE Secondary Controller
>(/dev/hdd1). My lilo.conf contents:

>boot=/dev/hda
>root=/dev/hda1
>message=/etc/lilo.msg
>prompt
>single-key
>timeout=60
>install=/boot/boot.b
>map=/boot/map
>vga=ask
>disk=/dev/hdd
>     bios=0x81
>(...)
>other=/dev/hdd1
>    table=/dev/hdd
>    loader = /boot/os2_d.b
>    label=win98
>    alias=7
>    map-drive = 0x80
>         to = 0x81
>    map-drive = 0x81
>         to = 0x80
>   Once i select that option in lilo's prompt, appears an error message
>advicing that there's non-system disk and when I press a key, it tells me
>that there isn't an active partition (or something like that). Win98
>is correctly installed (when it's in /dev/hda1, it works):
>
>         Disk /dev/hdd: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 524 cylinders
>         Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes
>
>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hdd1   *         1       524    528160+   b  Win95 FAT32
>
>   Somebody knows what is happening?
>   Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!  :P

I doubt that will happen without a totally different boot manager... Even then,
I'm not sure that it will overcome the limitation of the fact that Windows was
installed on the drive (when the drive was the primary master) and you're
wanting to move that drive to secondary slave.

Part of the problem is the fact that the windows drive master boot record (MBR)
still points to the primary master (/dev/hda1 in linux terms) because that's
where everything was when the drive/windows was installed. Even with the
map-drive parameters in lilo.conf, the MBR of the windows drive is still
pointing to the MASTER device of the SECONDARY channel (which may even be a
cdrom drive, or a another non-bootable hard disk drive). An answer as
complicated as the miracle you're trying to accomplish. :)

Even with re-installation of Windows, Windows will insist on storing system
files on the primary master ( That's microsoft for you ). On the other hand, the
linux configuration can be modified in such a way as to facilitate it's
migration from being on the primary master to the secondary slave... allowing
you to keep both filesystems (windows/linux) intact.

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:07:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi all,

> I've tried to rebuild my kernel (2.2.10, on RedHat 6), and have many
> doubts abouts the proper answers to all the question I'm asked by
> "Configuration". In the end the machine did reboot, but lots of stuff
> was missing (like PCMCIA support, it's a laptop).

> So the question is : knowing that I have a properly working system,
> how can I find out what the current configuration is ? ideally, I'd like
> to start by re-building a kernel that's identical to the one I have.

> Did "Configuration" store somewhere the previous answers to its
> questions, so I could use that again as a starting point ?

> Thanks,

In /usr/src/linux you should see a hidden file called .config. cat out this
file to see the currently saved configuration. You can also try using the
"Save to Alternate File" option in the kernel configi. BTW, it sounds like
you're using "make config". Try using "make menuconfig" or "make oldconfig" to
configure your kernel.

Also check out http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/kernel.html. I put a few
notes together on this topic.

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:10:36 GMT

Afonso Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> By change the the inittab, I know how to switch between the text login and
> graphical login.
> When I chose graphical login, How can I switch the login manager?

> (2) how can I change the grachically login between KDE and GNOME login
> manager?

Edit the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file. Change it to GNOME or KDE.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KT7-RAID, right way to install RH 7.0 to HPT370?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:30:03 -0000

Markku Tikkanen wrote:

> I tried to install Red Hat 7.0 to my system, but it doesn't recognize the
> hard drive connected to High Point HPT370 UDMA100 / RAID -controller.
What

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: eth0 works but PPP has quit
Date: 17 Apr 2001 22:49:26 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "James Kimble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I'm running Suse 7.0 and have had no problems with my network connections
]until now. I replaced a 3Com ethernet card with a LinkSys card. The LinkSys
]came with drivers and required me to install some kernel modules. No problem
]and my local network works fine. However, after I installed the new card my
]PPP dialup connection, that had worked fine before, will no longer let me
]see
]my ISP. I'm not very up on network configuration. Below is what ifconfig

Place
route del default
at the end of your rc.local file ( in /etc/rc.d on Redhat Mandrake, but
I do not know Suse.)

]reports and what the last 10 lines of my ppp log shows. Any help here would
]be very appreciated. I don't fully understand all of the configuration files
]so any

That was useless. It just says you changes modules.conf since last
booting.

]tutorial suggestions or just a few words of advice would be much

]ifconfig
]----------------------------------------------------------------------------
]-------
]eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:6D:18:00:F7
]          inet addr:192.168.0.50  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
]          inet6 addr: fe80::203:6dff:fe18:f7/10 Scope:Link
]          inet6 addr: fe80::3:6d18:f7/10 Scope:Link
]          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
]          RX packets:521 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
]          TX packets:13 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
]          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
]          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd000

]lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
]          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
]          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
]          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
]          RX packets:209 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
]          TX packets:209 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
]          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

]ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
]          inet addr:216.23.39.175  P-t-P:207.78.244.2  Mask:255.255.255.255
]          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
]          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
]          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
]          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
]----------------------------------------------------------------------------
]-------------------
These are fine.

Post your
route -n
output.

]These are the last 10 lines of my ppp log file

These were useless.

------------------------------

From: Nils Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nice tricks with Win-Printers
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:11:13 +0200

J Hayward wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Try this:
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=70912

Ok then, seems that the lxm3200 driver that is available there could work.
I didn't yet download it, so I couldn't try it.

HOWEVER, on the machine on which I wanted to try it, which has SuSE Linux
7.1 installed, I saw that ghostscript seems to actually contain a Lexmark
3200 driver (lex3200, as I can see by going a gs -h). In fact, SuSE even
says on their website that the Lexmark 3200 will work with their
distribution! Unluckily, however, I have tried that driver and it didn't
work. I think I set up everything correctly (I've set up printers under
Linux for many times). As I said, I will try the lxm3200 driver available
at www.linuxprinting.org and see if that works. In the mean time, however,
two more questions:

1) First of all, if somebody has ever set up a Lexmark 3200 under Linux,
I'd be glad to hear about anything that I should be aware of.

2) What do I do when I have a GDI-Printer that *really* doesn't work under
Linux? My father has a Minolta-QMS 1100L laser printer that prints really
well. While I'm happy with my own Linux-compatible Deskjet, I thought it
would be find if I could every now and then print some Linux-document on
the 1100L. This printer emulates PCL, and I would like to know how I can
(and if I can at all) tell Linux to send its printer output to a file (of
course after gs has transformed it to PCL) instead of sending it to a
printer. Any help is welcome!

Greetings,
Nils

------------------------------

From: "T" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Stealth III S540 troubles
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:08:34 -0800

"David Friesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Anybody have any hints for setting up a Diamond Stealth with Redhat 7.0
> and gnome?  I get all kinds of garbage on the screen - especially when
> dragging with the mouse.

This is the exact same problem I am having, I have the same card also.  I
found this post searching around (below) but am not sure if it's the same
problem.  If this makes sense and it fixes it I would like to know.

>>If its any use, I had problems on RedHat 7.0 during the graphical
installation. The screen image was corrupt when things moved.

I did however get it installed using the text based installation and then I
found that I needed to add the noaccel and sw_cursor options to
/etc/X11/XF86Config as below, after running Xconfigurator:-

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "S3 Inc.|86c794 [Savage 3D]"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    8192
    Option "noaccel"
    Option "sw_cursor"
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

If you give some more info about what went wrong then I would expect
someone will be able to help. In particular mention the model of you're
graphics card and monitor.>>

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest