From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do I move LILO from /dev/hda to /dev/sda with BusLogic BT-950?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:27:23 GMT

Hello:

Two hard drives, two OS's:
        Linux on /dev/sda
        M$ W------ 98 on /dev/hda

I recently changed SCSI controllers:
        the old one was an ASUS SC-200 (Symbios 53C810A)
        the new one is a Mylex (BusLogic) BT-950

Previously, in order to install LILO on /dev/sda, I had to use
drive-swapping tricks in /etc/lilo.conf, making sure I set `SCSI' first
in the boot order of the motherboard BIOS:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=600
disk=/dev/sda
        bios=0x80
disk=/dev/hda
        bios=0x81

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16
        label=linux-2.2.16
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16.img
        append="video=matrox:vesa:287"
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1

other=/dev/hda1
        label=lose98
        table=/dev/hda
        map-drive=0x80
                to=0x81
        map-drive=0x81
                to=0x80

This worked fine with the ASUS controller, but with my new Mylex
controller, it doesn't work.  LILO stops at `LI'.  I can force LILO onto
/dev/sda if I disconnect the SCSI cable and run /sbin/lilo with the
following /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=600

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16
        label=linux-2.2.16
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16.img
        append="video=matrox:vesa:287"
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1

Then I can reconnect the IDE cable and mount /dev/hda, but of course
can't boot into the OS located there.  Moreover, if I re-run /sbin/lilo
with the IDE cable attached (using this second /etc/lilo.conf), then
lilo complains with

Warning: /dev/sda is not on the first disk

even though I've set `SCSI first' in the motherboard BIOS.
When I reboot, LILO again stops at `LI'.

A possible clue to my problem is the following message appearing in
/var/log/messages _every_ time I run /sbin/lilo:

Jul  3 09:30:00 dolphy kernel: scsi0: Warning: Partition Table appears
to have Geometry 67/62 which is not compatible with current BusLogic
Host Adapter Geometry 255/63

But if this geometry mismatch were really significant, it seems I would
_never_ be able to boot from a LILO on /dev/sda.  In fact, I _can_ under
the right circumstances.  For what it's worth, the C/H/S specs printed
on the HD are 6536/4/161.

So, at the moment, I'm stuck with LILO on /dev/hda in order to boot into
both OS's, which I really don't want.

Can anybody help me move LILO to /dev/sda in a way that enables dual
booting?

Thanks in advance,
--Alan Vlach

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Help! root directory mounted as readonly. What to do?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:37:30 -0700

Hi folks,
I have a problem: My Compaq Presario 1215 laptop with
RedHat 6.0, Kernel 2.2.5-15 on it has been forced to
shut off because the battery went empty and I forgot
to plug in the power adaptor soon enough. When I tried
to reboot it, it didn't mount the harddisk as
read/writeable such that no file can be opened or
written on the hd. Excerpt:
--
autorun...
... autorun done

So, the file mtab cannot be written, for example.
That's bad and I don't know how to unmout and remount
it writeable. In linuxconf I get the error message:
"modprobe: cannot locate module block-major-8" and
"modprobe: cannot locate module block-major-48".
Any change in linuxconf won't be committed.

fstab looks ok:
--
/dev/hda5       /                ext2           exec,dev,suid,rw,usrquota 1 1
/dev/hda6       swap             swap           defaults                  0 0

the existing mtab shows the root dir as "rw" but
in fact it isn't:
--
/dev/hda5 / ext2 rw,usrquota 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0

The other problem is that no log files can be written
to the disk which makes it almost impossible to debug
the thing.

Anybody out there who has a clue how to proceed?

Looking forward to answers and thanks in advance - David.

------------------------------

From: Siva Kumaran Nadarajah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:46:52 -0700

I have the following problem with my cdrom:

When I try to mount it with %mount /dev/cdrom
I get the following response:
 mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

My fstab file contains the following line
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 user,noauto,ro  0 0

Could you please provide me with some suggestions to fix this problem?

Thank You

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: switching between IP addresses easily?
Date: 3 Jul 2000 16:45:41 GMT

when running netconf, it looks like you can create different configurations,
but in reality it does not seem to work that way.  In order to boot i must
put the correct info the the 1st config (RH6.1).  Is there a single file
that contains this info?  If so, I can just make two copies of the file
and swap them out when i boot instead of having to reenter all of the
information each time (ip address, gateway, etc).

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Silly Rabbit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intial setup of RH 6.2
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:59:17 -0500

I don't know if the server option has X or not.   If not, what is the best
configuration to use for a newbie?  Is there an easy way to change the
install or are there certain packages that I can just add to get me where I
need to be?  Once I get into X, will I be able to access files from my dos
partition that I downloaded for linux?

Silly Rabbit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Hoffmann)
Subject: Re: Apps Overfilling Screen
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:03:34 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 05:18:31 -0500, David M. Carney wrote:
>Hi, and thanks for reading.
>
>This has only started happening since I switched my default resolution
>from 1024x768 to 800x600.

Sounds like you have a virtual desktop setting from your previous (and
larger) screen resolution still hanging around in your XF86Config file.

------------------------------

From: Siva Kumaran Nadarajah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDROM mounting problems
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:04:52 -0700

I have the following problem with my cdrom:

When I try to mount it with %mount /dev/cdrom
I get the following response:
 mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

My fstab file contains the following line
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 user,noauto,ro  0
0

Could you please provide me with some suggestions to fix this problem?
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank You

Siva Nadarajah

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help mounting CDROM under Redhat 6.2 & Gnome...
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:10:56 GMT

Hi all.

I'm having problems mounting up my CDROM under the Gnome GUI
environment.  This is a brand new install so I've got whatever Redhat
installs as a default for Gnome, plus one application of a desktop
style :).  Oh, and I turned on the screen saver too. :)

So when I have Gnome up, I type "mount /dev/cdrom" and it gives me
"Wrong Medium Type".  I tried this both as myself (normal user) and
root, same problem.  The install was off the CDROM so I assume linux
can drive it just fine.

I can mount the cdrom BEFORE I start Gnome, no problems.  I can then
"startx" and view the contents of the CDROM disk just fine.  No
problems there.

On a hunch, I went into the Gnome control panel to "CD Properties" and
disabled the "automount CD on insert" stuff and rebooted.  Now I can
seem to be able to manually (from a terminal window under Gnome) mount
the cdrom just fine (type "mount /dev/cdrom" and it starts right up).

So the problem seems to be the antostart stuff in Gnome.  Any ideas?

I have an old crappy 32x cdrom that takes a good 6 seconds to spin-up
after an insert.  (Wearnes CDS-32x)  It's connected to an old crappy
IWIL motherboard to the IDE port, in the "master" positon on the
cable.  (There's a harddrive in the slave position that I boot off of
normally.)  I forget if I had to configure them this way on purpose or
not.... ;)

Any help would be much appreciated.

From: John D Prokopek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to enable xdmcp
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:28:14 -0400

I installed RH6.2 on a system and have NT on another system with Exceed.
how do I enable xdmcp broadcast on the linux box so that I can run an x
session on the nt box?

appreciate the help

--
John D. Prokopek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The bus came by
and I got on
thats when it all began ...."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Help with VNC
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:22:31 GMT

in my log I have:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 113
xrdb: No route to host
xrdb: Can't open display 'linux.usi-online.com:3'
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 113
xsetroot:  unable to open display 'linux.usi-online.com:3'
/root/.vnc/xstartup: syntax error near unexpected token `&'
/root/.vnc/xstartup: /root/.vnc/xstartup: line 6: `xterm -geometry
80x24+10+10 -
ls -r -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop"; & '

wrote:
> > >I am trying to log into a SuSe 6.4 server from a Windows 98 PC and
> succeed
> > >when using NetTerm, or an equivalent, connecting simply by TCP/IP.
> However,
> > >I want to use the PC as an X-client or a VNC client. I have loaded
> the
> > >client software ok and have loaded the VNC X-Server ok at the Linux
> end, but
> > >in both X- and VNC- I get a message saying Linux cannot recognise
> the client
> > >IP address. I have set the DISPLAY variable for the login as
follows:

> > >DISPLAY=193.1.1.130:0:0
> > >export DISPLAY
> > >
> > >a). Is this right (the IP address of the PC is 193.1.1.130 and it
> pings ok
> > >and logs in using NetTerm).
> >
> > I think you have one too many ':0' in there.  But what are you
> running for
> > an X server on the Win98 box and and is it set up to allow a
> connection
> > from the remote Linux box?
> >
> > >b). Is there anything else I should be setting in SuSe Linux
(remote
> login
> > >config files?)
> >
> > Nothing else really.
> >
> > To connect to the vncserver on the Linux box you do not even have to
> > telnet to it unless you need to start vncserver on the Linux box.
You

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesper Krogh)
Subject: Re: CDROM mounting problems
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:41:07 GMT

> When I try to mount it with %mount /dev/cdrom
> I get the following response:
>  mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Take a look at
[root@luke /root]# ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 May 12 14:46 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
[root@luke /root]#
Make sure that the link points to the right device.

--
/Jesper Krogh
Student at DTU Denmark.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: Garry Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: does suspend mode work on Dell Inspiron 3000?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:26:39 GMT

has anyone managed to get the suspend mode working on
a Dell Inspiron 3000?  i've played with it, on and off, for years,
without any luck.  i'm running redhat 6.1, pretty vanilla.  if i
disable xdm, it works fine.  but with an X server running, when i
resume, the screen goes all screwy, and the machine wedges.  i've
tried the various kernel configuration options, and nothing seems
to help.

is this a doable thing, or am i wasting my time?

thanks

--
Garry Hodgson                   Every night
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                a child is born

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrom
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:41:46 -0500

Siva Kumaran Nadarajah wrote:

> I have the following problem with my cdrom:
>
> When I try to mount it with %mount /dev/cdrom
> I get the following response:
>  mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> My fstab file contains the following line
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 user,noauto,ro  0 0
>
> Could you please provide me with some suggestions to fix this problem?
>
> Thank You

Try to mount the mount point instead of the device like:

 mount /mnt/cdrom

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Seti@home behind firewall??
Date: 3 Jul 2000 18:00:42 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 21:39:40 -0500, David .. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a windoz box behind my linux system with a firewall setup. My
>problem is that I can't get the windoz system to send the completed WU
>through my linux system. Anyone have any idea as to what I am
>overlooking? Both of my linux systems have no problems sending theirs
>just the windoz box.

I had that problem and heard of others with it too, but I am not sure if
that is a Win98se problem or an MSIE problem.  It works fine on my work
Win95 box going 3000 miles by frame relay to squid proxy on adsl.  But
when I tried it at home on a Win98se laptop, it gave up in about 2
seconds, long before demand pppd on my Linux MASQ box could dial out.  It
did work when already connected.

However, there seems to be a general problem with Win98se in that MSIE is
unaware that I am connected to a network, even when Linux is on the
internet, and always asks "Work Offline" or "Try Again"?  It always works
when I hit "Try Again".  It briefly stopped asking that when I updated
MSIE, but then started doing it again.

I haven't had a chance to try Linux SETI much on my laptop because I can't
figure out how to shut off the ACPI BIOS screen backlight with apm, but
2.4.x kernels support ACPI, so there is hope.  The one wu I did do went
out without a hitch, but I was already connected reading news.  SETI works
fine on my main box using demand pppd and caching nameserver.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward A. Falk)
Subject: Re: what the hell is 'Unsolved Symbols' in RH6.2????!!!
Date: 3 Jul 2000 18:02:09 GMT

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> RH6.2
>>
>> make xconfig
>> make dep clean bzImage
>> delete /lib/modules/2.2...
>> make modules
>> make modules_install
>> move the bzImage file to /boot, rename it to vmlinuz-2...
>> move the System.map file to /boot, rename to System.map.2.....
>> don't have to edit the /etc/lilo.conf, 'cause the file name is the same.
>> lilo
>> reboot, then I got tons of ''Unsolved Symbols' in boot.

Are you talking about when the system announces that it's checking
module dependencies, and then you get the messages right after that?

Does your system still boot and run ok after that?  If so, I think you
can ignore those error messages.  I believe what's happening is that
when you rebuilt your kernel, you removed a lot of features.  Those
modules implemented the no-longer-used features and have now become
"orphaned" -- that is, there's no place in the kernel for them to
link in.  Anyway, that's what I think is happening.  I just ignore
the messages.

--
-ed falk, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  See *********************#*************#*
http://www.rahul.net/falk/whatToDo.html    #**************F******!******!*!!****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: sorry your X11 server lacks DMPS
Date: 3 Jul 2000 18:07:57 GMT

On 3 Jul 2000 12:02:14 GMT, mtp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i just installed mandrake 7.0 (redhat 6.2) and get the following message:
>"sorry your X11 server lacks DMPS".  as i am somewhat unfamiliar with linux
>(but not micro$oft:-(  ), i have no clue where to even begin looking.

DPMS has to do with power saving monitors, but also requires a suitable
video card to control that.  It allows screen blanking to put your monitor
into a standby state or turn it off.  If you had a suitable monitor/video
card, that could also be controlled for the console with setterm.

This does not apply to laptops, which currently use apm or possibly acpi
in 2.4.x kernels.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest