Linux-Setup Digest #66, Volume #21               Wed, 18 Apr 01 10:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Interested in getting started with Linux (David)
  Re: How do I start gnome? ("ray")
  Re: Trouble mounting cdrom ("Eric")
  I am getting the link errors with gdb-5.0...??? ("v.naga srinivas")
  i just found a strange.. ("v.naga srinivas")
  Re: Trouble mounting cdrom ("Glitch")
  Re: problems with reiser FS and kernel 2.4.3 ("Glitch")
  Re: problems with reiser FS and kernel 2.4.3 ("Eric")
  Re: Using LILO and modules.conf for boot hardware profiles? (Kevin Davis³)
  Re: Using LILO and modules.conf for boot hardware profiles? ("Eric")
  pcmcia ethernet adapter ("Crystal Luo")
  xhosting (robin barbehenn)
  any one got redhat 7.1 to boot? /sbin/loader hangs, blue screen. (mike22@22)
  Re: pcmcia ethernet adapter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New system: No Sound (Norman Baccari)
  Re: xhosting (Jagged)
  Re: xhosting ("Aaron Schneider")
  RedHat 7.1 installation problem ("sambucca")
  Re: any one got redhat 7.1 to boot? /sbin/loader hangs, blue screen. (David)
  Re: Modem trouble (Earl Lewis)

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interested in getting started with Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:59:11 GMT

interested wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very interested in using linux. My plans are to dedicate a new
> machine to it rather than dual booting with my current machine. Do you
> suggest i build a machine or buy one put together already? I also will
> want to dual boot either caldera or mandrake with win2k, is this possible?
> what do i need to do to make it work if it is possible? Are their any
> drawbacks of doing this? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in
> advance.

If you are going to dedicate a system to Linux, I would say, build it so
that you get the components you want and know will work well with linux.

As for the dual boot with other systems, Yes it can be done.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.166% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I start gnome?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:58:40 +0800

There is a list of location generated in your suggested command.
Which path should I choose from?

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble mounting cdrom
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:01:43 +0200

"Fred Kitner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3adc6e1c$0$35024$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hi,
> I hope someone can help me out here. I am running SuSe 7.1
> with kernel 2.4.2
> I compiled same and setup ide-scsi and scsi generic support.
> I can burn cd's no problem but I can't mount the cdrom
> I have tried many ways to mount the device.
> I have a link in /dev named cdrecorder I soft link  as
> ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder
> I have tried other devices they all appear in /dev like:
> brw-r-----    1 root     disk      11,   0 Jan 19 03:36 /dev/scd0

this is correct.

> or
> brw-r--r--    1 root     root      11,   0 Apr 17 10:08 /dev/scc0

scc ??
What is this?
Did you create it?

> there major , minor numbers are all the same .
> However when i issue the command:  mount /cdrecorder
> i get the following message:
> bigtime:~ # ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder
> bigtime:~ # mount /cdrecorder
> mount: /dev/cdrecorder: unknown device

does this work :
  mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrecorder

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("v.naga srinivas")
Subject: I am getting the link errors with gdb-5.0...???
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:21:48 +0000 (UTC)

==============2CF17EFB7DAAB6419F42830F

HI ,
                I am newbee to linux.
Downloaded the gdb-5.0.tar.gz.
while makeing it, i stucked up with
the following link errors,

I am attaching the err.txt with this...
due to unable to cut and paste..........

Could any one help me out........

thanks,
srinivas.
--
v.naga srinivas
YVL Software Consultancy,

make[3]: Entering directory `/root/backuptarfiles/gdb-5.0/bfd/po'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/backuptarfiles/gdb-5.0/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/root/backuptarfiles/gdb-5.0/bfd'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -W -Wall -g -O2  -o libbfd.la -rpath =/lib -release
2.9.5  archive.lo archures.lo bfd.lo cache.lo coffgen.lo corefile.lo format.lo init.lo
libbfd.lo opncls.lo reloc.lo section.lo syms.lo targets.lo hash.lo linker.lo srec.lo
binary.lo tekhex.lo ihex.lo stabs.lo stab-syms.lo `cat ofiles`
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/backuptarfiles/gdb-5.0/bfd'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/backuptarfiles/gdb-5.0/bfd'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/backuptarfiles/gdb-5.0/bfd'
  libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
  make[3]: *** [libbfd.la] Error 1
  make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
  make: *** [all-bfd] Error 2

==============2CF17EFB7DAAB6419F42830F==

--
Posted from ns.stph.net [196.12.32.2]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("v.naga srinivas")
Subject: i just found a strange..
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:01:52 +0000 (UTC)

My X Manager is of KDE..
I locked today for 1st time the screen before lunch
after coming from lunch, i entered the password
field with lessthan the last numerical characters..
funnily it opened...................
I done several times repeatedly...........
Its taking less 2 characters ..
why....( any bug it seems.........)

And similarly,      I went to advanced editor
i copied some text
and while pasting in
the new mail window( of netscape mail client)
its not pasting there.............

whats this funny....................

srinivas.

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:54:06 -0400

In article <3adc6e1c$0$35024$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Fred Kitner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope someone can help me out here. I am running SuSe 7.1 with kernel
> 2.4.2
> I compiled same and setup ide-scsi and scsi generic support. I can burn
> cd's no problem but I can't mount the cdrom I have tried many ways to
> mount the device. I have a link in /dev named cdrecorder I soft link  as
> ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder
> I have tried other devices they all appear in /dev like: brw-r-----    1
> root     disk      11,   0 Jan 19 03:36 /dev/scd0 or
> brw-r--r--    1 root     root      11,   0 Apr 17 10:08 /dev/scc0 there
> major , minor numbers are all the same . However when i issue the
> command:  mount /cdrecorder i get the following message:
> bigtime:~ # ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder bigtime:~ # mount
> /cdrecorder
> mount: /dev/cdrecorder: unknown device Can anyone help me here? What
> device am i lookiing for? Do i need to do a mknod
> and if so what device should it be.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help. I am able to send more info if its
> nessassary.
> fred
>
> replys can be sent to :
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> I have an entry in fstab as follows:
> /dev/cdrecorder /cdrecorder     auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0 From
> dmesg
change /dev/cdrecorder to /dev/scd0  , i dont think u can have links
listed in fstab, only actual devices. There is no reason to make the link
anyway since u won't ever need to know the exact device u are mounting if
u are putting the settings in fstab, right?

since all the info is in fstab there is no need to remember it and thus
using a symlink to help you do that.

if u hadn't noticed, when u do the mount command it is complaining about
/dev/cdrecorder so it obviously isn't connecting the symlink to scd0
which should lead u to believe you can't do it that way.

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with reiser FS and kernel 2.4.3
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:58:49 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel Görgen"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> I already used the Reiser FS with Kernel 2.2.16 (Suse 7.0 already used
>> Reiser FS in their Kernel) installing the 2.4.2er Kernel caused no
>> problem; but the compiled and installed 2.4.3er Kernel doesnt boot- it
>> stops with the following message:
>>
>>>VFS: cannot open root device "308" or 03:08 Please append a correct
>>>"root" boot option Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 308
>>
>> my boot partion is an ext2 fs, root is reiser fs; i used the same

put the 'notail' option in your /etc/fstab file for the /boot partition
Someone posted here that u need that option but just for the /boot
partition. I forget the explanation though.  This may or may not be your
only problem thogh.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:49:09 +0200

> I already used the Reiser FS with Kernel 2.2.16 (Suse 7.0 already used
> Reiser FS in their Kernel) installing the 2.4.2er Kernel caused no
> problem; but the compiled and installed 2.4.3er Kernel doesnt boot- it
> stops with the following message:
>
> >VFS: cannot open root device "308" or 03:08
> >Please append a correct "root" boot option
> >Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 308
>
> my boot partion is an ext2 fs, root is reiser fs;
> i used the same Kernel options as in 2.4.3 and i used the same lilo
> options as 2.2. and 2.4.3; i also tested the newest  reiser fs kernel
> path; no difference
>
> does anybody knows what went wrong?

check if / is really on hda8?
Did you forgot to compile ide support in the kernel?

Eric

------------------------------

From: Kevin Davis³ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using LILO and modules.conf for boot hardware profiles?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:23:04 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:22:06 +0200, "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >what does `cat /proc/scsi/scsi` return when you have both the driver
>> >for that card loaded, and you have enabled ide-scsi emulation for
>> >the CDR. And if you have only one of the two scsi devices?
>> >Anything shows up in /var/log/messages?
>> >dmesg?
>>
>> I don't know.  I'll have to check.
>
>post whatever you find out.

OK

>> >I doubt it. (Though I'm not sure)
>> >But I most certainly have a setup where both a real SCSI HDD and a
>> >IDE DVD-RAM (which I use with ide-scsi emulation) work.
>> >

>> Do you have a multi-device SCSI card/interface?  Or a single device
>> like mine?
>
>a multi device. Just a good old adaptec card.

That is probably why.

>> >Are you sure it doesn't work? Or have you just been unsuccesfull in
>> >getting it to work? (I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious)
>>
>> I would love it if I could get it to work.  But I have basically given
>> up on it.  Linux sees it as an unknown/unsupported Creative Labs
>> multimedia device.  I have not seen any How-To's specifically for my
>> card.  It is an AWE64D.  Before you jump at me that there are AWE32/64
>> How-To's, you are exactly right.  However, as far as I can tell these
>> are documenting how to set up AWE32/64 card that are ISA cards.  The
>> AWE64D is a OEM PCI card.  I tried to make it work using the standard
>> (ISA) AWE How-To's but it doesn't seem to know how to talk to this
>> card through the PCI bus.  I'm all ears if you know how to get it to
>> work.
>
>I went to www.google.com and entered :sound linux awe64 pci
>There's some info in the first three hits you get, that you might find
>usefull.

Well, the first three hits seem to be of the same document, the first
two of which are in Chinese.  The third is in english but doesn't tell
me much that I haven't already tried.  My card doesn't appear to be
listed.  The AWE64 is listed and the PCI 128 is listed but not the
AWE64D.  It is not clear whether they are including the AWE64D into
the AWE64.   Deeper in the search I found some information that I had
previously not seen but will try.

>(I'm not sure what you tried, did you retrieve the IRQ etc and suppplied
>that to the module?)

Yes.

I've run snd cfg countless times using all kinds of combinations which
I think may work.  Every time I get the same result.  The OS simply
doesn't seem to understand how to talk to the card.

I am aware of OSS driver that seems to claims to support this card but
something sticks in my crawl in having to buy a driver for a card that
I bought.

=======================================
What could possibly go wrong?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (remove the z's from my address)

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:57:34 +0200

> >> I would love it if I could get it to work.  But I have basically given
> >> up on it.  Linux sees it as an unknown/unsupported Creative Labs
> >> multimedia device.  I have not seen any How-To's specifically for my
> >> card.  It is an AWE64D.  Before you jump at me that there are AWE32/64
> >> How-To's, you are exactly right.  However, as far as I can tell these
> >> are documenting how to set up AWE32/64 card that are ISA cards.  The
> >> AWE64D is a OEM PCI card.  I tried to make it work using the standard
> >> (ISA) AWE How-To's but it doesn't seem to know how to talk to this
> >> card through the PCI bus.  I'm all ears if you know how to get it to
> >> work.
> >
> >I went to www.google.com and entered :sound linux awe64 pci
> >There's some info in the first three hits you get, that you might find
> >usefull.

Sorry, I was using the newsgroup search.
(groups.google.com)
Try it, there have been several previous threads on this subject.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pcmcia ethernet adapter
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:15:51 +0800

Dear all,

I have a pcmcia ethernet adapter in socket 0 on a Ricoh cardbus on my
desktop PC. I would like to connect the desktop to LAN using this pcmcia
card.

cardmgr can initialize and configure the pcmcia card. I heard two high-tone
beep. I run ifconfig and route, feel that the card is configured properly.
But I cannot connect to the network. When I ping other computers on the
network, I got "detination host unreachable".

Can anyone give me a hint? Where goes wrong? Thank you very much in advance.

Crystal

------------------------------

From: robin barbehenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xhosting
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:14:25 -0400

I am having trouble getting my linux machine running linux-mandrake 7.1 to
accept xclients from other machines on my LAN.  Can anyone help?  I would
appreciate it!!

RB

------------------------------

From: mike22@22 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any one got redhat 7.1 to boot? /sbin/loader hangs, blue screen.
Date: 18 Apr 2001 04:18:57 -0700

hello,

Any one able to boot the rhat 7.1 iso images (intel) ?

After I burn the CD's (cd 1 and cd 2). I reboot the PC, and the
boot starts from the CD. I get the menu, I hit return to do
graphic install, then when it goes to /boot/loader message on the console,
the screen flips to all blue and then nothing happens.

HW is fine. I tried 2 good disks and no change. this same PC I am
using now with Suse 7.1 and window with no problem.

SO it seems the problem with the new RHat 7.1 not happy about something.

This is an intel PC, IDE drives, 128 MB. nothing fancy, just a
reqular PC.

These are images I am using:

672518144 Apr 17 20:50 seawolf-i386-disc1.iso
668551168 Apr 18 00:12 seawolf-i386-disc2.iso

downloaded today from mirror site. (redhat ftp site is always
busy, you would think they will get a bigger machine of something
by now).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: pcmcia ethernet adapter
Date: 18 Apr 2001 12:25:08 GMT

Crystal Luo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But I cannot connect to the network. When I ping other computers on the
> network, I got "detination host unreachable".

Have you setup a route using the card? If you ask rout -n what's
the answer? Try adding a manual default route to the card.

Davide

------------------------------

From: Norman Baccari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New system: No Sound
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:10:16 GMT

Dave Uhring wrote:

> Dave Uhring wrote:
>
> > Norman Baccari wrote:
> >
> > Install the alsa drivers and library.  At boot up run
> >
> > # modprobe snd-card-via686a
> > # modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> >
> > You can do this either from the command line or put it into a startup
> > script.  Not that the driver will be muted until you turn it up with one
> > of your mixers.
> >

> Sorry, I just noticed that you had tried to add the alsa drivers.  You need
> to have the kernel source for that.  You can add the kernel sources from
> your install CD.  Or you can download the source for your kernel from
> ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2.  It's not necessary to build a new
> kernel, just have the sources present in order to build alsa-driver and
> alsa-library.  Building the alsa packages is really easy,
>
> # ./configure
> # make
> # make install
>
> in each of the source directories.

Now that RH7.1 is available I think I'll start fresh with
that
once I can download it.

Thanks for your help!
Norm

------------------------------

From: Jagged <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xhosting
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:11:19 +0200

try:

xhost +

to disable xhost access control. otherwise you can specify single machines to
access your X11 server by, for example:

xhost + otherpc

otherpc should be ip address or resolvable host name, of course...

have fun,
Jagged

------------------------------

From: "Aaron Schneider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:30:16 GMT

Do you get an error message?

All you should have to do (once you have the X binaries on your machine)
is set the display environment variable on the machine your app is
running on and add that machine to the .Xauthority file on the machine
your diplay is on.

With bash you can set the display environment variable like this:

export DISPLAY=myhost:0.0

Where myhost is the hostname or IP of the machine running X ':' display
number '.' screen number.  You'll probably want to use :0.0

Now you can add the hostname of the machine the app is running on to your
.Xauthority file on the display machine with xhost, like this:

xhost +myhost

If this doesn't work, reply with the error and I'll try to give you a
hand.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: "sambucca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.1 installation problem
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:33:15 +1000

Hi all,

I just downloaded RH 7.1 images and burnt into 2 CDs.
I'm trying to install it on an old PC which is only P120, 48MB, 2x IDE 1.2GB
disk, with Wearnes CDD1020 CD-ROM.
I made a boot disk using dd command from another Linux box. Then boot up the
P120 with the boot disk. The installation process starts but keeps saying "I
could not find a Red Hat Linux CDROM in any of your CDROM drives..." even
though I put disc 1 in.
Then I start the machine using a DOS boot disk with the driver for the
CD-ROM. I ran \dosutils\autoboot. The installation process starts but ends
with the same error.

Anyone has any idea why it won't see the CD.

thanks
Sam

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:35:37 GMT

"mike22@22" wrote:

-- snip --

> downloaded today from mirror site. (redhat ftp site is always
> busy, you would think they will get a bigger machine of something
> by now).

It is only when a new release comes out when you can't connect to their
server. But then that is only about twice a year. There are many other
mirror sites you can use.

http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

From: Earl Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:56:35 GMT

Roy,
Thanks for the explanation of the way ISA modems duplicate a COM port.
I'd never seen it explained that way before, and if finally makes
sense to me now.

I do have a 56k ISA Modem - the Zoom 2919. It has a controller on the
board. I have COM 1 turned off in BIOS. Works in Win98, WinNT4, Linux.
Before that I used a USR Sprortser ISA card. It was also 56K, after
being upgraded twice. It would only work in Win9x. That one being a
"software" modem that used the controller on the motherboard, I did
not have to turn the COM off in the BIOS. Or anyway I didn't. When I
got the Zoom to use in Linux I was instructed to turn the COM off in
the BIOS. Since COM 1 is the only one I can play with in BIOS, that's
where the modem would up installed. I did try a PCI modem, but
couldn't get it to work in RedHat7.
Earl

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:59:52 +0100, "Roy Bamford"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Krstanovic,
>
>You shouldn't have a ISA modem on COM2 unless your PC has only one COM port,
>which is very unusual.
>
>If you have two COM ports on the motherboard, you must disable the
>motherboard COM2: as it will clash with the ISA card. It may or may not work
>then.
>What other serial devices do you have?
>
>Most ISA modems were modems and COM ports on the same card, so you must get
>Linux to see your ISA COM port before it will see the modem. However, I have
>never come across a 56k ISA card. Are you sure its not a PCI card?
>
>Regards,
>
>Roy Bamford

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest