From: Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changed from Storm to Mandrake-have some new questions
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:25:18 -0400

Hiya Theo,
href="http://linuxdoc.org">http://linuxdoc.org
and read some howto's</a> .
modem on COM2, so I
also
to my
the
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Check with your ISP and get the address of your name
server (DNS), and then set that up in the networking panel of DrakeConf.
stupid, but
that text thing.
OS.
it
boot
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What's wrong with text, lol. That's why you have a keyboard
B-). There may be, but with Linux you shouldn't need to be rebooting very
often at all.
on and off
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, you can turn it off in the startup services.
it installed for
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Can't help you with a driver....check at&nbsp; <a
href="http://freshmeat.net">http://freshmeat.net</a>
for starters. There are many other sites for linux drivers and software.
WINE to use
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You can start wine from an xterm by typing "wine -options
program.name". Do a man wine for more information.
were a couple
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Can't help you here, don't know what ACDSee is. But,
if your using the Kde desktop, you will see a little book on your toolbar.
Click the book, and you will find answers to most of the questions you
will have for a while. The GNU-info pages are especially useful B-)
so many questions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linksys ethernet card trouble
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 23:19:09 GMT

I have just installed a linsys v2.0 card on a newly installed RH6.1
system.  The system has the latest tulip driver (so far as I can tell
looking at their website from another computer).  The system also
detects the card (ifconfig -a shows it up and running ), it can ping
itself but it cannot ping any other computers on the LAN.  I am using
another computer on the lan to get out to the net right now as I need
that card up for it to access anything.

I have tried setting it directly configured for the internet and also
tried setting it to go through the LAN with the same results.  No one
can see it and it can't see out.  Ping, traceroute, et al time out
(unless I hit itself).

Any clues?  I am rather baffled

-- dan "the unready"
--
"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster
at your side kid." - Han Solo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Problems with fsck on new disk
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 23:47:26 GMT

I am having problems adding a new harddrive to my system. It was working
fine in Windows. It is a Western Digital Caviar 34000
specs:
7752 Cylinders
16 heads
63 spt
4000.7 megabytes

I tried to fdisk it. It runs fine, but When I ran an fsck it complained
about not being able to find the superblock. I tried iterations of the
superblock backup. No luck. I finally ended up doing a mk2efs /dev/hdb

Now I can run fsck on it. I fdisk deleted all partitions. I then ran
fsck on it. If I run an "fsck -y /dev/hdb" it runs clean.

If I run a "fsck -y -c /dev/hdb" it fails. I get a ton of errors.
Here is what I see (small sample):

[root@sunflower ~]# fsck -c -y /dev/hdb
Parallelizing fsck version 1.17 (26-Oct-1999)
e2fsck 1.17, 26-Oct-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
Duplicate blocks found... invoking duplicate block passes.
Pass 1B: Rescan for duplicate/bad blocks
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_test_block_bitmap #545972770 for
multiply claimed block map

(many of these... and then...)

fsck.ext2: Illegal triply indirect block found while calling
ext2fs_block_iterate in pass1b
fsck.ext2: Ext2 file too big while calling ext2fs_block_iterate in
pass1b
fsck.ext2: Ext2 file too big while calling ext2fs_block_iterate in
pass1b
Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 29537: 1260

(many of these... and then...)

clone_file: Ext2 directory block not found returned from
clone_file_block
File /lost+found/#29537 (inode #29537, mod time Wed Jun 27 14:58:48
1906)
  has 1 duplicate block(s), shared with 1 file(s):
        <filesystem metadata>
Duplicated blocks already reassigned or cloned.

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/hdb: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/hdb: 209402/488640 files (0.2% non-contiguous), 18846/976752 blocks
Warning... fsck.ext2 for device /dev/hdb exited with signal 11.

I then end up with a core file in the directory where I ran fsck from. I
run gdb on it and it is from fsck. I have rebooted a couple times
inbetween.

Do I need to worry about this? The regular fsck runs clean, it's just
when I use the -c flag that I get errors, but I would assume I'd want it
to run completely clean, yes?

Please help :)

I dont care about anything on the drive, as far as I am concerned, I
have wiped it out, but obviously not good enough.

Thank you in advance!!!

-Mike-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Can't access my /dev/hda1 partition
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 23:53:07 GMT

I've been running a intel p3 box with windows and mandrake linux 7.0
side by side for a month or two now.  It was missing the development
tools so I reinserted the CD and did an upgrade.  But when that was done
and the computer rebooted, I couldn't find windows in my LILO boot.  So
i went into my lilo.conf file and found out that it wasn't listed there.
So i typed in other = /dev/hda1 and all the other junk that goes along
with it.  Saved the buffer.  Then I typed in lilo and I got this error:
"first sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid boot signature".  Then
if I click on my disk 0 icon on my desktop (an alias to the windows
drive) it says: "WARNING - mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many mounted file systems".  I did an
fdisk and the partution shows up under /dev/hda1.  Now, when I do fdisk
is: The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 3328.  There is
nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could in
certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Next, I tried using my windows 98 boot disk and when I went into C:> and
did a "dir" it said couldn't read media type on drive c (or something
very similar to that).  Did a fdisk /MBR, and restarted and now said
"Missing Operating System."  So I rebuilt the linux master boot record
and I was at least able to once again go into linux which is what I am
using now.  I'm not trying to bombard you with all my problems, but
hopefully the more info I give the easier it will be for someone to help
me with this problem.  I really need access to my windows partition, and
if anyone can help me once again see my windows files....if even just to
be able to back them up on CD's or Jazz disks or whatever, please please
please lend a helping hand.  I apprecaite your time with this lengthy
letter and can't wait to hear from someone;)

Thanks again!
Stu

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Can't access my /dev/hda1 partition
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:21:50 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've been running a intel p3 box with windows and mandrake linux 7.0
> side by side for a month or two now.  It was missing the development
> tools so I reinserted the CD and did an upgrade.  But when that was done
> and the computer rebooted, I couldn't find windows in my LILO boot.  So
> i went into my lilo.conf file and found out that it wasn't listed there.
> So i typed in other = /dev/hda1 and all the other junk that goes along
> with it.  Saved the buffer.  Then I typed in lilo and I got this error:
> "first sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid boot signature".  Then
> if I click on my disk 0 icon on my desktop (an alias to the windows
> drive) it says: "WARNING - mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
> superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many mounted file systems".  I did an
> fdisk and the partution shows up under /dev/hda1.  Now, when I do fdisk
> is: The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 3328.  There is
> nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could in
> certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Next, I tried using my windows 98 boot disk and when I went into C:> and
> did a "dir" it said couldn't read media type on drive c (or something
> very similar to that).  Did a fdisk /MBR, and restarted and now said
> "Missing Operating System."  So I rebuilt the linux master boot record
> and I was at least able to once again go into linux which is what I am
> using now.  I'm not trying to bombard you with all my problems, but
> hopefully the more info I give the easier it will be for someone to help
> me with this problem.  I really need access to my windows partition, and
> if anyone can help me once again see my windows files....if even just to
> be able to back them up on CD's or Jazz disks or whatever, please please
> please lend a helping hand.  I apprecaite your time with this lengthy
> letter and can't wait to hear from someone;)

If you have a linux & windoz bootdisk you can use the windoz bootdisk
and do a fdisk /MBR that will repair the MBR. Then after you get it to
boot windoz again you can use the linux boot disk to boot linux and then
run lilo again. That should fix it unless you wiped out windoz.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "Rootz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Partitions -  Findpart
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 01:27:20 +0100

As is (apparently) common, I've managed to remove my windows D: drive while
installing Linux (COL e2.4). Trawling through deja, I found a thread with
similar problem, with a response with from Svend Olaf Mikkelsen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. I downloaded and ran the referenced executable, and
the output of findpart is here:

Findpart, version 3.7.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2000.

Searches for partitions type 01, 04, 06, 07, 0B, 0C, 0E, 83,
logical partitions type 82, plus Fdisk F6 and Lilo sectors.
Information based on bootsectors is marked B (ID guessed).
If the disk is larger than supported by BIOS, the supported
part of the disk is examined. Disks are numbered from 1.

OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10

Disk: 1   Cylinders: 1246   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 9774

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 - 06       63  4192902  2047    0   1  1  260 254 63 B    OK
    Fdisk F6 sector                 261   0  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 261   1  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 262   0  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 262   1  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 263   0  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 263   1  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 264   0  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                 264   1  1
  783 1 83       63    32067    15  783   1  1  784 254 63 OK   OK
  783 2 05  8418060  2104515  1027  785   0  1  915 254 63 261  OK
  785 1 83       63  2104452  1027  785   1  1  915 254 63 OK   OK
  785 2 05 14715540  5301450  2588 1940   0  1 2269*254 63 1024 OK
  916 1 82       63  1060227   517  916   1  1  981 254 63      OK
  916 2 05 15775830  4241160  2070 2006   0  1 2269*254 63 1024 OK
  982 1 83       63  4241097  2070  982   1  1 1245*254 63 NB   OK

=====FAT CHS =Size Cl ==Root =Good =Rep. Maybe ==Bad YYMMDD DataMB
    0   1  2   256 32    512   256     0     0     0 991126   1360
  261   1  2   256       512?  239    17     0     0 991126

Partitions according to partition tables on first harddisk:

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 1*06       63  4192902  2047    0   1  1  260 254 63 OK   OK

If the author of the program could assist me in recovering my D: drive I
would be most grateful.

Thanks

--
Rutendo

------------------------------

From: Gabor Takacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:52:01 GMT

Just a thought: When you did the upgrade, what kind of install did you
choose? (Custom?)

Why not boot up on the Windows boot disk and run fdisk from there. Your
Windows partition should still show up "active" at boot time. If not from
the fdisk menu choose the option to make the partition active. Then reboot
on the boot disk and try 'sys c:'  This should restore the Windows boot
files and point the MBR to it.

Gabor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: what file contains network ino?
Date: 4 Jul 2000 00:55:06 GMT

Hi, what file contains the network configuration?  meaning, when you
execute netconf or netconfig, where is this information dumped?

I'm hoping that is dumped to only one file so I can write a script
that swaps them out.

Thanks

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest