Hi Al,
My bluetooth testing is to a mobile phone for wireless broadband.  I
haven't tested any other bluetooth functions.

The BT_WAKE pin seems irrelevant to me.  After reading the datasheet I'm
setting it low now.

Thanks for the details from the linux-sunxi page.  With kernel 3.4 this is
exactly what I do.  I modified the Broadcom download program to assert RTS
when starting and to wait for CTS before sending.  For 3.19 I've changed
the process so I open the serial port before toggling the BT_REST pin.
This is now working reliably.

The datasheet states the device waits for CTS after a reset before enabling
async mode.  Perhaps the old kernel left RTS asserted when the port is
closed whereas the new kernel negates it.  If the AP6210 is not a perfect
clone of the 20710 it might default to SPI mode if CTS is negated at the
end of the reset pulse.  I think this CTS theory is more plausible than my
previous suggestion of noise on the TX line.

I'll keep testing and post details on the linux-sunxi page when I'm sure my
new procedure is correct.

Thanks for your assistance here.

Cheers,
Steven