On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 8:24:32 AM UTC+11, Al Thomas wrote:

> Your description of handshaking made me wonder if that was the problem.
> Are you aware there are two serial protocols available on the chip? H4 uses
> the control lines and H5 that seems to use SLIP. Page 30 of the BCM20710
> manual says "H5 requires the use of an external LPO. CTS must be pulled
> low." So if RTS is asserted on the host to switch to UART transport after
> reset and RTS is kept high (so CTS low on the controller) the controller
> may expect H5. There is a Broadcom H5 version of the tools so I may try
> that when I get set up.

Today I've tested asserting and negating RTS at various times.

Host RTS must be asserted at the end of the reset pulse and for 30ms after
to get the device to assert its RTS (our CTS).  Since I check for CTS
before sending this causes the program to time out.
The device apparently doesn't send when host RTS is negated.  The responses
are buffered because I can get them later when I assert RTS.
I tried sending some H5-specific commands but got no response.

I've updated my repository because I found an ioctl bug in my patchram.
Possibly significant.

Cheers,
Steven