On 26 February 2015 at 13:53,  <goo...@lanrules.de> wrote:

>>  From many years of industrial experience I do know that most probably
>> those companies do not intentionally violate GPL. They are just busily
>> struggling to survive in these extremely fast moving markets and do not
>> have time and resources to care for this kind of 'details'. This does not
>> excuse it or embellish anything, but that is how organizations operate.
>
> If I cannot stay in business operating legally, my business model is wrong
> and I deserve to go bankrupt. Operating like this for several years is
> nothing short of criminal.
>
> Where is the respect for the authors of the original software in this
> discussion?

Yeah, the authors of the software you built your business on do
deserve some respect.

Then again, legal and criminal is not all that clear. It turns out
that in China not adhering to US law does not necessarily drive you
out of business. Or not honoring the rights some US geek theoretically
has even under Chinese copyright law if such thing even exists.

And again, even western companies like nVidia are not much different
from Allwinner. They delivered (or let their hw oem partners deliver)
butchered binary Android SDKs when it seemed practical and now they
are starting mainline kernel work when that seems practical.

And again, if you are in software business in the west then any patent
troll can sue you out of business anytime unless you are the size of
IBM. Seriously, it does not matter that in the EU software patents are
(maybe still) illegal. The patent office did and still does grants
them. And it does not matter that the patent may not actually apply to
your work. You still have to hire a lawyer and go to court if they sue
you. And the cost of that may very well be orders of magnitude higher
than the sales of small software firm.

Thanks

Michal