Am 18.03.2015, 08:55 Uhr, schrieb Olliver Schinagl <oli...@schinagl.nl>:

Hey Henrik,

On 18-03-15 08:51, Henrik Nordström wrote:
mån 2015-03-16 klockan 11:13 +0100 skrev Hans de Goede:

I see, yes using olinuxino's embedded in factory devices is a valid reason,
so I will be happy to take patches for reading the MAC from the eeprom,
we will need to do some tests to make sure that we only do this on
valid eeproms though, I think it would be good to add a checksum +
all 00 test, or a crc check, note a checksum is fine by me, but if
there is ready to use crc code somewhere in u-boot that works for me too.
The MAC eeproms I have seen do not have any CRC. Just the raw MAC in a
dedicated page. Better to follow common practice in how MAC is stored.
There is room for additional data in other pages as well.
I'm all for common methods, but you are suggesting to use a single dedicated page purely for the MAC address? Where is it defined which page that is? And what about using the subsequent page for stuff like a crc/checksum and verify the mac against that? It would yield in an easy way to verify if there is actually a MAC stored there or not.

Olliver

Regards
Henrik

Just to get the technical aspects cleared:

As far as I believe to know, each manufacturer of products with Ethernet interfaces is obliged to apply for MAC addresses for the products he puts on the market. If he does not follow that rule then it is somehow a rouge product?

Most often these addresses are stored in an eeprom directly connected to the interface chip, but other locations have been found in the wild.

I think that for the MAC used, sunxi must make sure that on all supported hardware the MAC planned by the board manufacturer will be used as default.

If a board manufacturer somewhere permanently stores a serial number, sunxi should try to display that number. If no such number is present, it seems to be a good idea to show the MAC number as a serial number.

If the number displayed is somehow 'wrong' imho this does not really harm?

I don't understand why checksums and other nasty problems come to play a role?

I.Irgendeiner